1999 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Excellent commuter

1999 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

CE Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Excellent commuter
By FredJ on

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

The Corolla has generally been a strong car. It's smooth, refined and suprisingly quick. The fuel economy is outstanding, over 37 mpg on the highway with an automatic. The interior is comfortable, although rear legroom is an issue. The feature list is . . . odd. This is probably due to the practice of adding packages, but my wife often chides me for having a car with power doors and windows, cruise, a/c, alarm and keyless entry, but no tachometer or power mirrors. The cruise control stalk occasionally brushes my knee during low speed turns, but this isn't dangerous. Taller drivers may encounter this problem.

Favorite Features

Excellent build quality. The interior is simple, yet not as spartan as that of a Civic. Ample power, safety and intuitive controls. The driver can operate most essential controls without removing a hand from the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

One potentially serious problem: some 1999 Corollas may have problems with fuel injectors. Two failed on my car, and without my service contract, this would have led to a pricey fix. I don't believe that this is a common issue, but Toyota is aware of the problem.