Used 2005 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

8 Yr Review- My lemon is literally falling apart :(
By truth_b_told

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It has taken me from point A to B and been reliable in that aspect..but Everything Else about it just sucks. Transmission constantly shifts and is starting to slip, Lack of power going through the Rockies, squeaks and rattles galore, horrible wind noise, will barely start in 20 degree weather, paint is chipping away all over the car, plastic interior is flimsy, speakers suck, and the list goes on. It hasn't been terrible, but it hasn't been good. I want to mention I have always garaged the car, maintained it since day one, here in CO we don't use salt on the roads so why the paint issue? It only has 78,000 miles on it. Check Consumer Reports, I'm just waiting for head gasket to blow

Favorite Features

It's a tank in the snow and lots of cargo space. Seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Don't build a lemon.

Love this car, but...
By kmcglynn

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We love our 2005 Forester! It is a ton of fun to drive, and the leatherette interior with heated seats is very good for all of the bad weather we have here in the Pacific Northwest. This is one of the better quality SUVs for the money and the AWD is great!! However I do have one small issue with it. We barely hit 80k miles on our Forester and we already need to get the head gaskets replaced, which have set us back another $2,000. This has been the only problem with the car and it is running perfectly other than this issue, however we did some research and it is a HUGE problem with Subaru engines throughout the lineup. If you can get over that though, this car is definitely worth the money!!

Favorite Features

Love the sound system, the AWD, leatherette seats, all weather package with heated seats and wipers, interior space, and the roof rack.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to improve their head gaskets!!!

Great first car!
By redrider05

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This is my first car, which I got for a steal, considering it has a shocking 192k miles. I was very weary about getting a car with that many miles, but it was the only Subaru available in my budget. Subarus have been in the family for years and I know they are reliable. Whoever had this car before took good care of it. Regular maintenance was done and I found nothing wrong. I've had her for a few weeks and she runs great. I plan on keeping her maintained enough to get another 100k miles. I love my Forester and now I'm making fun of my mother, who drives an Impreza sedan. My car is way cooler then hers.

Favorite Features

I wanted a small SUV that handled well and didn't feel like driving a boat, had room for storage, and had a good view of the road (I'm 5'2"....I need to see). And of course, 4WD for the weather. Forester was the way to go. And of course, the bells and whistles are nice. Heated leather seats, heated windows, all that is icing on the cake.

Suggested Improvements

The only drawback is the gas mileage. Right now I'm getting about 20-22MPG, and with the premium gas, it hurts to go to the pump. Another reason I want to keep her maintained. I do have to wonder why Subaru doesn't do away with the Turbo engine, and just but a 5 or 6 cylander engine in, to do away with the need for premium. Overall, it's a great, fun, practical car. And it comes in my favorite color. Not bad for my first car.

2005 Subaru Forester
By lucasr

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2005 Forester with 95k miles on it, and will be using it as my college vehicle. It had 2 previous owners and no accidents reported. It appeared to be mechanically sound. So far, it has been an excellent vehicle. The ride is smooth, and it handles nicely. Some complain about power on these vehicles - I have had no issues with power. I drive plenty both in town and in the country where I live. It is excellent in both settings. I have no issues with getting up to speed on the freeway. My gas mileage has been an acceptable 20-22 mpg, and I expect it to be a little better when I take it for my first long trip on the highway. So far, this vehicle has been a joy to own.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the cargo capacity. I have already loaded it full of stuff and had no issues hauling stuff around. This vehicle has great visibility even when loaded fully with my camping gear. I have also carried 4 adult passengers with me. They fit comfortably, although the person sitting in the middle sit in the rear was a little cramped. Legroom is adequate. It's also a sharp looking vehicle in the exterior. Subaru's have been known for their wagon look, but this vehicle represents the beginning of the end of that ugly look. It looks unique without looking strange. I am proud to drive it.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint so far is the road noise. I drive a lot on county roads, and the gravel is certainly loud. The road noise is not an issue in town, but it does seem a little windy on the interstate. The road noise is not a reason to avoid this car. It's advantages as far as reliability, handling, and cargo capacity are significant. I love this car. I plan to have it until I get to around 150k miles, and then I hope to buy a newer Forester. I paid 10,900 for this car. Maintenance so far has been a routine oil change, a new air filter, and of course replacing the all-important timing belt, which was due for a change at 105k miles. All together about 1000 dollars in routine stuff.

160k miles and still going strong
By 160kmiles

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this specifically for long distance commuting on the highway and it's been a great car, 110k miles before I had anything break on it. Great highway mpg 25-26.

Favorite Features

awd, great visibility all around, extremely durable and reliable.

Suggested Improvements

needs power seats and a telescoping wheel. better stereo and sound proofing