2003 Subaru Baja - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Baja model:
My Baja
By ChopsJG on 01/26/06 01:06 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car for fun and family.

Great concept, lacking execution
By Dave on 01/08/06 10:38 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

With 40k high speed and around town (yes, Home Depot!) driving, I have fallen out of love with the Baja, but still respect it. Love the versatility and carrying capacity (quite amazing really, with some creativity). Handling at higher speeds is very good after replacement of the awful OEM tires. Fold down seats, bed extension, poke through door into bed, all great with signature AWD. With the base 2.5l, acceleration is by appointment only. Tranny seems confused and gets in its own way. Wind noise has been a consistent problem, even after service that helped, some. And at 40k this has had more "little" failures and issues than seems characteristic of Subaru.

Most versatile daily driver yet!
By yellowblaze on 09/16/05 23:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

From off road trails to long road trips to trips to the home improvement store, our Baja has proven itself to be the best bang for the buck out there. In less than 12 months it's gone from 2,800 miles at purchase to over 22,000 miles currently. It's brought home siding, landscaping, parts for another car. It took a Mustang hood from NY to FL in March - it fit right into the bed. It did great on that trip as far as gas mileage, comfort and driveability. It's gone down countless "seasonal use highways" - which range from dirt roads to little more than two ruts in the dirt - and handled them with ease (although more ground clearance would be nice). All around, this is the best truck out there!

Still disappointed after 2 years
By Disappointed in De on 05/27/05 10:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

From the day, I drove it off the lot, it has had squeaks. I have had it in four times and the dealer has never been able to make any improvements. Driver's area is cramped.

Awesome
By ATLMIKIE on 04/09/05 07:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Baja for almost 2 years I still love driving it. It still turns heads and gets compliments. I have had more people sit in it and ask about features than any other vehicle I have owned. I have a small pop up camper which the Baja pulls with no problems. I love the ride.

My Mom Loves my car
By Donna on 03/24/05 16:18 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Mom and Dad says it is the best riding truck. Everyone is suprised the first time they ride in it. Itdoesn't ride like a truck at all and the gas mileage is great. People are always asking what kind of vehicle it is. It is the perfect vehicle for someone like me that needs a truck sometimes and a car at other times.

Fun car, turns heads
By Thomas on 12/06/04 19:04 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For a young single homeowner living in Minnesota, there isn't a better car in the world! It turns heads, it hauls lumber home and most furniture, and it seats four confortably. Rear passengers will complain about leg room. All wheel drive makes the car a lot of fun to drive on dry pavement, and easy to handle on ice and snow. Everything inthe truck feels solid - the doors, the tailgate, interior parts. However, I docked my truck a few points for reliability because I am having problems with clutch judder. Would like more power but with a stick it's acceptable.

whatever
By import NO-WAY on 08/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best multi-purpose vehicle out there. Wife and kids love the open bed. Car comfort and truly a road hugging machine. Sporty and nimble

Swiss Army Knife of vehicles
By D J Smith on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Baja for about 5 months, so far it has been perfect, no problems at all. I have the non-Turbo four cylinder which I am very happy with. The gas mileage is better than I expected, acceleration is fine. The best feature of the Baja is it's versatility. True, it doesn't have a full-size pick-up bed but with the extender I haven't missed that. I really like the fact that I can move my kids home from college, have the bed packed full, and still have room for 4 people. Intially I didn't like the two-tone color scheme (red and silver) but now that I have had it for awhile I love it.

My favorite car so far!
By G. Martin on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Baja Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Baja has been very reliable so far. I have put many miles on it in my first year of owning it, due greatly to how fun it is to drive. It gets good gas mileage. So far the only thing I wasn't able to haul in it were sheets of 4x8 plywood. This vehicle was exactly what I wanted, the functionality of a truck with the feel of a car.