2007 Saab 9-3 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Pleasantly Surprised

2007 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Review

2.0T SportCombi Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual)

Pleasantly Surprised
By drewtoo88 on

2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased a 2007 9-3 SportCombi 60th anniversary addition in Dec 09 w/34K mi now have 67k. Issues: two head lamps replaced for $25. Things to be aware of: Oil changes - 2.0t takes (6) quarts of synthetic oil only, so $100 every 6.5K miles will add up and it only takes premium gas. Gas mileage - City 21, Highway 27 = average around 23. Full tune up at 60K = $700 (dealer $1k).

Favorite Features

It handles extremely well, very hard to break lose. Its quick when in manual mode (passing anyone is easy), the interior is well done, seats are great, the cargo capacity is astonishing and its a cover vehicle people have no idea how fast it is.

Suggested Improvements

Off the line its not so quick, manual mode takes quite a bit of learning to maximize the turbo kick, the breaks could be better.
By kimd1
on 06/15/12 14:03 PM (PDT)

I know I am almost a year late commenting on this and we have the exact same car. We use regular (87 octane) with no problems. Manual says it is OK to use this fuel. I did try premium several times and could never get over 23 mpg. On our other car, a 98 Accord with virtually identical power to weight ratio, I get 39/30 mpg. I have always wondered why the same is so poor in gas mileage. we bought this car new so I know how it's been cared for. We change our own oil so it is a lot less than $100.

By drewtoo88
on 08/17/14 23:16 PM (PDT)

Drewtoo88 again... I have had this car now for nearly five years and I'm still very happy with the purchase. I just went over 100k mi and the only thing I have replaced are breaks and the tires. Still nothing major despite the fact I push it hard every day on my 40 mile round trip to work. Big tune up at 60k and another at 90k $700 both times. A few more bulbs and that's it. The car is much tougher than my wife's '07 MB e350! And I can't tell you how many times people attempt to race/keep up in any similarly matched vehicle (mini, gti, civic site) I don't win every time, but I win more than I lose. And ps, I'm an old fart at 45.... ;-)