Used 2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

Find of a lifetime
By Zabo

2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

Found my 'bird neglected but with extremely low mileage at a Ford dealership for a good price. While I was more of a Camaro guy myself this car made me a convert right quick. For a 10 year old F-Body this car does show it's age in some places, but still looks, feels, and arguably quite relevant in today's day and age. Granted the mileage isn't even a shadow compared to newer cars but you have to ask "Self, why did I buy it?" However, I will say that if you want more than stock; be prepared to turn this car from stocker to rocker as in it's stock form this car is already stretching it's limits. But since when did anyone buy a muscle car and keep it stock?

Favorite Features

Exterior styling that is still arguably 'badass' and eye catching even with the introduction of the new Mustangs and Camaros. Cockpit feel which IMO was lost in the new Camaro. 6 speed T56 which is bulletproof. "Plantability" and solid driving feel. Traction Control for those stop light cop meets.

Suggested Improvements

Whatever you feel necessary. Personally I'd adjust the exhaust with some long tubes for better idle tone. Beyond dropping skip shift and exhaust mods, a beefed rear is a must when adding anything to the '305-320' horses available on tap. Lastly, for GM to stop underrating their cars.

Slammed and Cammed LS1
By Willy

2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

This is my third fbody and by far the fastest. I have modified the cars exhaust, intake, suspension, upgraded to a larger cam shaft, wheels, tires, 4.10 gears. To this day I am leaving cars 4-5 times its worth in the dust. I use it as a daily driver with a large cam and a very loud glasspack exhaust. The only problem the car has ever given me was a dead battery. It is an absolute thrill to drive and to this day still turns heads with its agressive black exterior and functional ram air hood. All the options still work, AC blows cold. Heater works unbelievably good. No oil leaks or burning. Seats are comfortable, even though the "leather" looks sort of plain. Over all this is a great car

Favorite Features

Very reliable, very fast and even faster when modified, great looks, great sound, handles good. Very sound car and wouldnt trade it for anything.

Suggested Improvements

Stock ride is awful compared to a lowered aftermarket ride. Sound system is decent but the speakers will crack eventually. Other then that no complaints.

I love my Trans Am!
By md4dmse

2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Convertible

I got this car before I got pregnant with twins, so it doesn't see as much use now as it used to. The WS6 coupled with the convertible was actually my dream car and I was amazed and thrilled when I got it! It has never disappointed me at all. At 8 years old with close to 90k, I've only replaced a wheel bearing and a window motor outside of regular maintenence. A pretty good record if you ask me. The gas mileage is unbelievable for this 5.7 too! I use Bosch platinum plugs and get over 30mpg when I keep the air filter clean. I have absolutely no complaints with this car after 4 and a half years of ownership, and I still drive it multiple times weekly even since the twins! Can't go wrong!

Favorite Features

The Hurst 6-speed, the growling exhaust (aftermarket), the absolute power, the "snotting" nose, the most comfortable leather seats ever, the aggressive stance, I just love this car!

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials (dash and trim panels), better trunk interior (very cheap and cheesy carpet, looked like it came out of my old Kia)

Love Trans Ams
By Shell'sSSR

2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

I have been driving a Trans Am since 1981. My first one was a 1979 4.9 gold one that was 2 yrs. old when I bought it. My best and favorite one! I drove it for 200,000 miles and had the engine rebuilt. Loved that car. Drove it for 17 yrs. Then ordered my 1997 Trans in 1996, then my 2000. I've been giving her a rest because now I also own a 2004 Chevy SSR. I really like vehicles. We are G.M. people only because of my brother, Mike, who worked for them before his sudden death in 11- 05. Miss him severely. I used his gm discount on my 2000, so I probably will never let this car go. My car is very clean,never in any kind of crash, babied like no other (except the SSR) and only has 50,000 mi.

Favorite Features

I Love the outside, flared fenders hood scoop, short back, long front, spoiler, honeycomb taillights, rumbling purr of the engine, and it's fast!

Suggested Improvements

When is the new Pontiac Trans Am coming back? G.M. should have made a Trans Am instead of a Camaro. It has more muscle to it"s look.

This Black bird is BAD
By Rick

2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car with 45 miles on the odometer and have had more fun than should be allowed.Be sides a dead battery and headlight motor this car has been a gem to own. It now has 91,600 miles on the it and it still barks the tires in the first three gears.I guess I should mention that it has the 6 speed tranny with the Hurst shifter.I've added a k&n air filter and flowmaster exhaust a month after purchase

Favorite Features

Six speed transmission and Hurst shifter