2009 Nissan Versa Consumer Review: First Nissan

2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Review

First Nissan
By fenderbass on

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I always avoided considering Nissans going back to the Datsun days (B210s). When I checked out the Fit, Yaris, and Accent in looking for a simple good mileage car, I almost ignored the Versa, being biased against Nissan. I did my homework on all the above cars and kept on coming back to the Versa as the best overall value. When the dealer finally had a 2009 s 6 spd available, I made the jump and after the first 1500 miles, am very glad I did. So far it's a great little car that's fun to drive. I tend to keep cars (last car 1995 Saab 9000 with 305,000 miles) and felt the engine would hold up better than the Fit or Yaris over 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Mileage! Consistent 34 mpg on the first 5 tanks, very roomy at all seats. Power package included cruise control which I couldn't get reasonably ($$) with the Fit, Yaris or Accent. Also I found out the "V" has a timing chain instead of a belt, which is is disaster if it breaks. I love the 6spd.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the way the rear seats don't fold flat or the lack of arm rest between front seats. The final gear also whines out a bit but so do all the cars in this class.