Used 2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Inherent transmission problem with '06 Maxima
By jaware

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As others have stated - there is an inherent transmission problem with the '06 Maxima and other years as well. At 62k miles my transmission started to slip and the car jerked when shifting. I brought my car to a local transmission shop and they told me this is a common problem with Nissan vehicles. On their suggestion, I opened a case with Nissan customer affairs. They instructed me to bring it to the dealership for inspection and guess what? My car needs a new valve body and transmission for an estimated cost of $6,000 - a gross over estimate! Nissan contacted me to say they would offer no assistance. Everyone with a similar problem must join the class action suit underway!

Favorite Features

Nothing - will never ever own another Nissan and will tell everyone I know to never consider them; if you own one now, sell before inherent problems surface!

Suggested Improvements

Build a transmission that will last more than 62k miles - if not, stand by your customers and do the right thing!

2006 Nissa Maxima-Disappointment, Costly
By bmcgavin

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, like everyone else that seems to be writing reviews, my 2006 Maxima had transmission issues. I'll start at the beginning (which wasn't long ago). I bought the car for $12,000 from a used car dealership less than six months ago with 117,000 miles. I loved the car. It was one of the nicest cars I ever bought. I also bought a 2002 Altima brand new (loved it). Two weeks ago the transmission started slipping between 2 and 3rd gear and it would downshift when I let up on the gas. Also, the Service Engine Soon light came on. Took it in and low and behold, Transmission was all but gone and the catalytic converter was needing replaced. Out of luck the dealer told me. Traded for a 2010 Chev Impa

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Leather seats, great look, bluetooth hook up.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, Transmission, Transmission

Picked-up Used
By bmac13

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used from my father about 3 month ago. The dealers were trying to fleece him on trade in value for a new vehicle. My family was growing and I needed a larger second vehicle. I was looking for a larger sedan with safety and reliability, but with some HP and was fun to drive. After looking at the new sedans (2010-2012) on the market I could not find a vehicle that had all of the features of the 2006 Maxima and under 25K. I was aware of the transmissions problems of the Maxima, fortunately, I knew the history of this Maxima and the transmission has not been a problem. If worse comes to worse, I'll be out 3K instead of 25K+ price tag of new vehicle with less quality.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel is a huge plus in the winter months. Great stereo system, nice quality sound even with cassette adapter for MP3 player. Enough performance for daily driving balanced with good fuel ecomomy. Drove in a couple of snow storms (with snow tires equipped) handled very well with sensible winter driving.

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius takes some getting used to but I owned pick-up trucks with worse. No Aux-in for stereo. Easily remedied by cassette tape/MP3 adapter (strange to see in a car these days) Only draw back is local Nissan dealership is a real hassle to deal with. Since warranty is up I'll just take to a non-Nissan mechanic.

One of the best cars on the market.
By ccleveland2012

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's a nice car guys. The neighbors love it, Strangers love it,people see it and they want to take it home. People with more expensive cars love it. A 80 year man looked at me and said that's a bad mama jama. Even though this generation of Maxima is a great car it has it's flaws but most of you will come to find this car is very reliable and has much better reliability then 90% of the vehicles on the market it wont leave you stranded.

Favorite Features

The Power It has 265hp guys it feels alot quicker on its feet. I can do 0-60 in this car in about 6.3 seconds. At highway speed its relentless The Interior Space at 103 cubic it feels large, front seat,plenty of room for short and tall drivers,proper heigh adjustments,footwell space is grand,Rear seats plenty of room for 6ft footers The Ride The SE rides firm and sporty,The SL rides smooth and quietly. The overall ride quality is a brisk smooth heavy quiet ride. most cars ride good but this ride is above average and its noticable right away. Safety It has 6 airbags, in a high speed collision it will hold up well Most Maximas do. Ergonomics Good overall no complaints

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy not bad but not good. I average about 20 in the city and 29 on the highway. It has a large engine dont buy this car and expect Corolla gas mileage and dont expect a Tahoe's gas mileage its in the middle. I rented a 09 Altima 2 weeks 4 cylinder The Maxima got 1-2MPG less on the highway Problems people have experienced transmission problems but the car wont leave you stranded and replacement is about 3500 dollars. Alot of newer cars has far worse issues. Look at the Camry's acceleration issues,Accords Tranmission,Brake Problems. Transmission problems no excuse but once you fix it car is great. Turning Radius, It has the turning radius of a 1950 school bus.

Great speed, but oh so not worth it!!!!
By 1bzygirl

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Shopping for a new car and just for kicks thought I would check out the reviews on my 2006 Maxima, can't believe so many people have had similar problems...let me see if anyone can top these, at 2 years my catalytic converter went out, at 3 years my transmission went out (right b4 warranty expired), my motor mounts have broken twice, oh yeah at 4 years my throttle body went out, end of 4th year my timing chain and air conditioner went out...now for my 5th yr anniversary my struts and suspension are out!!! I have spent well over 8k in repairs and maintanence....i am broke and now cannot afford to keep putting $$ into it, so am forced to get a new car or even buy a used one =(

Favorite Features

Loved the speed in this car, this was what initially sold me on it...I have the fully loaded car which with all the bells & whistles looked very sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously with so many transimission, air conditioning and motor mount issues it is a design flaw and Nissan did nothing to address it. I complained to them over several times and all I was given was a maintanence package worth a total of 8 oil changes and tire rotations!!