2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2003 Maxima Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Really great car
By rbagnate

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've always liked the 5th gen Maxima. I finally had the chance to get one from California. Purchased August 2014 with 50,000 original miles from an elderly couple that took real good care of it. I live in Colorado and book the trip to Dublin CA. Drove the car back and got 32mpg, she did great! One issue the radio had to be replaced and the power coming from the engine...WOW! So far I've added 12,000 miles driving for work out of state and I'm happy I bought the car. This car was immaculate inside and out.

Favorite Features

horsepower, moon roof(first time having one), trunk space is huge!

Suggested Improvements

none I can think off

First Car - Favorite Car
By kuktle

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Owned for about 30,000 miles, Car had 120,000 and when I wrecked it was at 150,000. If you by chance come accross one of these amazing cars I would most certainly recommend it. I've raced people in them and have very often won. It is very fast and very reliable. I recently rear ended someone in it and becuase the air bag deployed it was totalled out. I'm sad and devastated. This car is the kind of car that will last forever. The only thing I never liked was the braking could have been better but I drove it fast so what do you expect... Loved it Loved it Loved it!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Torque, Horsepower, Enterior, Exterior, EVERYTHING!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Car needs no improvements.

03 Maxima GXE
By cd9403max

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second max, first one still have 94 with 264,000 km and engine/trans tops. Only have 62,000 km on 03 and now first major repair, brakes all around. Got this as last Japanese made one and was afraid of quality control with 04 on. I may be wrong with the 04's on. This car takes off like a scared cat-make sure you are hanging on tight. I like the 94 more as it seems more roomer inside and with self adjusting shocks, real nice. However, very poor head lights-moved up to stronger ones to help. 03 lights, what an improvement over the 94.

Favorite Features

Looks are real nice and with the silver paint job, sun and clouds give it different looks. Like all the controls on the steering wheel-fingertips. On the streets found so easy to go over limit and likewise on the highways. Passing with car is a pleasure-before you know, you are way over 80 approaching 90. Did anyone take it all the way up to the end of the speedometer. Like the dimming rear mirror at night.

Never left me stranded
By kriley50

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. I bought it used in 2006 with 77k on it. I drove it for 5 years and just sold it with 160k on it. The car is fast, gets good gas mileage, looks good, and is super reliable. Over the course of 5 years I replaced 2 sensors in the car and that was it. I liked the car so much that I went out and bought another one. The new one is a 2003 as well with only 60k on it. I can't wait to drive this car another 100k.

Favorite Features

Horsepower and Gas Mileage

Good Value for the Money
By rangermutt

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Maxima, the first a 1996 GLS with 160k miles that is still running strong. This model is the SE Platinum Edition and presently has 105k miles. We purchased it used with 50k miles and has so far been pretty much trouble free.

Favorite Features

Sharp looking exterior, automatic climate control, good gas mileage for the size of the engine, comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible turning radius - my full size Toyota Sequoia SUV turns shorter. Acceleration is not as quick as my '96 Maxima with a smaller 3.0 liter engine.

Good car
By Tom

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I put about 25,000 miles a year on this car and I have had one engine problem, a sensor that the dealership said was a recall on the '03 but not a recall on my VIN number. Considering it was a $300 repair, I wasn't happy but over all has been very reliable.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration and handling for a moderately priced 4 door sedan. Reliable and looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more room in the back seat. Could get better gas mileage. The performance tires have been terrible on the snow and have not done well on the Chicagoland streets, I have replaced 6 so far in two years due to pothole damage.

Reliable and fun to drive but noisy
By jojo791

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drove the SE model for almost 5 years. Much better built than my 1999 Camry. Good power and handling. The car was reliable but far from perfect. First it was one of the noisiest cars from the wind I have ever driven, wind leaked in from everywhere. Second was the 1 wheel drive. The front right tire drove the whole car. Third was the steering radius, the longest of any car made.premium unleaded is not necessary., no pinging with regular and the same gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Power and handling

Suggested Improvements

Better wind seals, tighter steering radius, better traction control. Better paint, front chips easily.

Great car, great value
By DavidG

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this car used with about 8k miles on it. New, it stickered for about $31K, but I picked it up for about $21K, a real bargain. This is a fun car. I've only had 3 problems with the car: At around 25k miles the Speed Sensitive Volume became erratic. Nissan changed out the Bose unit, it was fine for a few months and then the problem came back. They replaced the unit again and suggested if it happened again they would probably replace the amp. Both times were under warranty; no charge. No problems since. I now have about 68k miles, and a few months ago the front psgr window motor was replaced due to some sticking. That's it. This car is reliable.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, automatic climate control, heated seats, leather still looks almost new. Still no squeaks or rattles. Very well built, solid car. Car has great power, but replace the tires when due or the torque will spin them at every launch. Or try starting in second gear.

Suggested Improvements

6th gear could be taller for better highway mileage, but at 70mph I get 29mpg. Saw 30.7mpg once. City mileage is deplorable. Stop-go gets about 17mpg. The computer consistently reads about 3.5mpg better than actual. Never use the OEM Bridgestones - dangerous in the rain. Use Mich Pilot Sport A/S.

Fun to Drive
By chrispv

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my Maxima since 2004 and it has been a great car. The car is loaded and also has a 6 speed, which is fun to drive and is fast for a family sedan. There is a lot of room in the car and trunk for my family. The car has had minimal repair work (tires, brakes, exhaust system). I've got 89k miles and the car still looks great and runs well. I've noticed a slight drop in the acceleration but that is to be expected with time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking.

Favorite Features

6 speed manual, roomy, large trunk, Bose sound system, quality.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage, premium gas, tires are expensive.

Best of most worlds
By Milliam

2003 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I sold Nissans for a few years and from cumulative knowledge and personal interest, this car was fit the bill among my needs. This is definitely a "driver's car"...you turn corners pretty fast only realizing it after you get passengers grabbing for stationary objects in your car. I have the SE (sports edition) and tires are a little wide (sporty) and could be better in the snow and around corners. Gas mileage on the orig. paper work says 20/26...I have been as high as 32 mpg on highways during mountain driving, speaking to the cars power and refinement. Every fault that I can possibly muster has a reason that the car was made the way it is...sport- sedan.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel, Xenon HID lights, nice alloys on the SE. Bose system sounds great with Ipod while using the EQ in the Ipod. Sporty body style (for a sedan).

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius could be better but the wide sporty tires are worth the sporty grip are part of the wide turning.