Used 1997 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1997 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

4DSC
By mhorn325is

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 SE with a 5 speed manual trans in 2006 with approximately 90K miles. The car appealed to me for a variety of reasons: silky 3.0 liter V6, plush creature comforts, impressive factory Bose unit and the relative ease of finding a reasonably priced variant with a proper 3rd pedal. I certainly indulged in a bit of wrench time - Koni struts, Eibach springs, Centerforce clutch, front/rear Brembo cross drilled rotors and a few Stillen add-ons - that greatly increased the pleasure of being behind the wheel, but the car was a solid, quick-ish workhorse even with the OEM equipment. Be mindful of rust and leaks (oil, coolant, etc.), but I'll miss the old girl when I trade her in this week

Favorite Features

Ready availability of manual transmission, broad torque band, Bose stereo, relative ease of repairs, low overall maintenance costs.

Suggested Improvements

Better overall drainage, particularly out of the rear wheel wells. Stiffer stock suspension for those who dabble in a bit of spirited commuting.

1997 Maxima SE - Great Car!
By corona1373

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

An amazingly reliable car after 210,000 miles and 17 years of service. It is dependable and has never let me down or left me stranded. I bought my 1997 Maxima SE about 17 years ago and it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It is super easy to service, replacement parts are inexpensive and the engine/transmission still run flawless. With 209,000 miles it still cruises quietly down the highway and gets about 25-26mpg on highway trips. The motor is smooth and the transmission shifts perfectly. I frequently see many of the 4th Generation Maximas still on the road. If you can find a rust-free one that has been well maintained I think it's a good bet as a used car.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature: NO TIMING BELT. These belts expensive to change and the Nissan Maxima engine doesn't have one. The position of the Oil drain plug and engine oil filter are my other favorite feature. I can change the oil in less than 20 minutes without jacking up the car or climbing underneath.

beyond excellent
By lockout3

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I had all kind of cars this car is the best car I ever had. The only things I have done is put gas and change the oil. If you want a great car get a Nissan maximum must be your choice.

Bulletproof Car
By 97vq30de

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 188k miles. It now has 231k miles. This is my second car. I've replaced wear and tear parts like any other car would go through. I've done some upgrades. Fun to drive. 120mph + stays glued to the ground. I get 24mpg 70city/30hwy. The engine is very quiet, even under load. Awesome Bose audio system. Great looking exterior, especially when lowered with wide wheels ;). Plenty of cargo space. A lot of visibility; easy to park. My girlfriend liked it over her Ford Focus. I plan to keep this car until it literally starts to fall apart. Very good job Nissan.

Favorite Features

VQ30DE. Pretty fast for just 190hp. Very quiet, even under load. Fuel efficient for a V6 and its old technology. A truly 4DSC.

Suggested Improvements

Brake calipers could have been at least 2piston calipers rather than a 1piston caliper. I will be upgrading to G35/350z calipers/rotors soon.

AWESOME '97 MAXIMA GLE
By tan5

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

...bought my 97 Maxima GLE in Sep of '97, 14.3 years ago, and it has been the best car ever! There have been no major expenses/repairs outside of basic maintenance and minor wear & tear part replacement. The engine light didn't even go on until my 13th year of owning it and, even then, the repair cost was minimal. ...am about to hit 232,000 miles and had the goal to see if it could make 400,000 (had heard of an owner that did hit 400K). However, the 0% financing Nissan is currently offering drew me in so I am now selling my Maxima. Tears will be shed when "she" is driven away.

Favorite Features

Reliability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dependability!!!!!!!!!!!!! Minimal cost to maintain!!! Bose stereo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

The GLE is supposed to take regular unleaded but, it made knocking sounds. It performed significantly better when I used midgrade gasoline.