1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Terrific value and FUN
By rob on 03/24/05 15:46 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought new in late '96 and have enjoyed this car every day I drive it! Smooth and powerful engine, quiet, decent gas mileage ~24 mpg, reliable and fun to drive. What more could you ask for? Also, very cheap to maintain as it has a timing CHAIN not belt. I feel that these older models had better quality materials than subsequent years, as Nissan ran into trouble not long afterwards and lowered material quality to cut costs. I know because the wife has an '00 Maxima and the interior materials used are of a lower quality.

96 maxima
By DERRICK on 03/10/05 09:38 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Never had any problems rides like a charm. The 96 could use a few more horses. Well comparing to the news cars, however in 1996 it was excellent. The only thing is lack of cup holders nothing major.Nothing I can really complain about

the long life of my Maxima
By Helen Bean on 02/05/05 17:24 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I drive my Maxima no less than 500 miles a day to work and back. I have had to replace only the basics, tires, brakes and muffler. I now have 279,000 miles on my baby, it is the best car I have ever owned. Plan on buying another one if this one ever wares out!

Great everyday car
By Scott on 01/12/05 00:53 AM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Great car to drive for everyday use. More than enough power and handles well at high speeds. Never had a problem after a year. Only had to change brakes and tires. Car handles great in the snow up in Buffalo, NY. All around awsome car I would highly recomend the purchase of a maxima I do not think it'll disappoint you at all.

Did I get the only lemon??!
By C.A. on 12/07/04 14:54 PM (PST)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I read these reviews and purchased a 1996 Nissan Maxima with 76,000 miles. I thought that it would have plenty of life left. I have replaced the odometer, the radio works only about 20% of the time, locks malfunction often, and the passenger door gets stuck and won't open so we have to crawl through the drivers' side. It has been out of service twice lately and had to be towed. The repair shop said it might be best to get rid of it.

Its just a great car!
By Guy18 on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This has been and continues to be the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned...and I have owned alot. I purchased this car pre-owned at my dealers recommendation. He did me a great service! If you need a great vehicle, this is it!! I have not spent a dime on this car except for oil changes and brakes. I'd get another one in a heartbeat!

review of 1996 nissan maxima
By sputnik on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

excellent car in town; lacks comfort on long drive; is a complicated auto; still don't know how security system work!! embarassing when horn starts blowing! is quick to start; low gear ratio, very good; gas mileage so so; about 20 mpg.

96 Maxima still runs great
By munsoor on 08/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan

Never had any major problem, except with the O2 Sensor, which I later found was being recalled, so I got that replaced for free. I find this vehicle fun to drive. It is low maintenance and reliable, which is the way I like my cars. After 130k miles, it feels like I may have to replace the shocks. The audio knob doesn't respond sometimes. But engine is trouble-free.

96 Maxima Review
By AlexMaxima96 on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought 96 Maxima brand new. Now 7.5 yrs old with 82k miles. Have had almost no major problems, unbelievably great car. Plan on keeping for at least another few years. This car has been really good to me :)

LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By Jennifer Jones on 06/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been wonderful. The only problem it has had in the seven years I have had it, other than maintenance (eg. tires, brakes, clutch), is a new starter. It's too bad they changed the body style recently. I can only hope the new ones perform as well as mine. I LOVE MY CAR!!! I'm driving my car until it dies, which even at 185,000 miles, it still won't be anytime soon. It still drives perfectly. I recommend this body style Maxima to any and everyone.