Used 1996 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Amazing
By my baby

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Ive had this car for about a year and haven't had any problems besides for an alternator because I got subs. I got it at 105,613 and now I'm about 125,698 but I haven't seen any loss of power or handling. This car is very fast for it size and weight. It's very comfortable and has a smooth ride. I don't think I'll ever sell my car. I have people coming up to me now thinking it's a newer car than it is. This car is so much fun to drive even with an automatic

Interior is very advanced for an older car Great performance for size and weight, smooth ride even after 12 years

better gas mileage

Reliable and sometimes fun
By JohnSmith

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

This car is overall a pretty good car. I haven't had any trouble with the car super reliable. The overall exterior design is a bit sleepy and boring, especially the rear end... sort of blends in a too much. Interior build quality is decent, not really up to par with competitors. Stock suspension (even the SE sport version) is pretty soft and not very sporty. 4 door sports car? Not if it's FWD.

VQ30DE an unstoppable engine... super reliable and quick, cooler than the Honda Accord, overall interior design is simple.

Stock suspension needs to be beefed up, better exterior design, better interior build quality, premium Bose stereo should be improved, no FWD

Totalled yet still drives perfect
By Maxima rules

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my dad 3 yrs ago and it only had about 70k miles. About a year later I was involved in a front end accident (not my fault) and the car was deemed totaled by the insurance company. They gave me a check for more than I bought the car, I turned around and bought the car back from the insurance company for $700, drove it off the lot and to this day I have not fixed it. All I do is oil change it every 4 mos or so, change tires and brakes, and drive drive drive. It's at over 115k miles now and still drives amazing!! Maxima's are a beast!

Reliability!!

none

96 Max
By Chris

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This is my second car I have had. I had a Mitsubishi Mirage but didn't like it and wanted to have a better looking car. This car is awesome. The interior is my favorite part I have black leather and I feel like I'm in a town car. The back of the car is a bit boring, but I put 18" chrome rims on it and everyone is like what when I say its a 96. They thinks its a 2003 or something. The car does stall on me occasionally and it does get annoying but I think I just need to clean out the fuel line. I now I have 160,000 miles on it and its a lot faster than people think.

Definitely interior, speed, leather, my sound system even though I upgraded.

Cup holders, they're square who gets square cups. Back end but I think I might just get new lights.

Best Car Overall
By Coastal Commuter

1996 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

This was a great buy and while we have other vehicles, this is still running with the original motor and transmission at 300,000+ miles. A real winner all around.

Great speed and pick up along with an audio system that rivals any others I've heard. Excellent space inside.

One area that I have found that is a little weak is the air conditioning. This could be better.

• SUV