Used 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander ES SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

Pretty solid
By ohiodoug

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV ES 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car at the very end of 2012 after my previous car was totaled and I had to make a decision pretty quick. I really hadn't thought of a CUV, but this was advertised right at 19K as a leftover 2012. I really liked to storage and room in the front and rear, and the ride seemed comfortable. Overall a much better value than just a sedan for someone who needs to haul stuff from time to time. So far (19 months in) the reliability has been excellent. No problems at all! Fuel economy is about as advertised 23/28, with better city mileage than that under some circumstances. However, if your highway speeds get up much above 70mph, the economy seems to drop off sharply.

Favorite Features

I really like the room in the vehicle; it has a very roomy and comfortable back seat. Folding down the rear seat leaves a huge space! Also, the tailgate is very cool and useful - sorry they didn't continue this in the new model. There's lots of storage, and I like the pretty large gas tank for a CUV on long trips. The ride is really good, much better than my old Mazda6, and the handling is excellent for this type of vehicle. The interior is pretty quiet in the city, a bit noisier on the highway. I love how the gearing of the CVT allows the car to coast with minimal engine braking and how it adds just enough RPM on the hills to keep the cruise right at a set speed.

Suggested Improvements

The CVT is sluggish off the line unless really pushed, although using the manual shift gate seems to alleviate this when needing a fast merge onto the highway. As others have noted, the interior materials seem on the cheap side (plastic gets scratched easily, the fabric on top of the center console doesn't seem durable. Also, the old school design of an RCA jack (whu?!) in the console means you need an adapter or two to use an iPod or MP3 player. Paint seems to chip a bit too easy. Finally, the car came with 'starter' tires. They were Yokohama Geolanders, but only with a tread rating of 200! Replacement Geoloanders have a tread rating way more than double that. What a cheap trick.