Used 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

GSX A Great Car
By GSX

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

We have had this car for a long time and my wife and I both love it. The AWD, low to the ground and powerful engine, all add up to the closest thing to the feel of a true muscle car in this age that I have seen. We bought it mainly because of the safety of AWD and that has paid off as the weather where we live makes control a real concern. This car has been great in that regard. It can be a bit hard on your driving record as you will have a hard time not putting your foot in it. And oh boy, when you do.

Favorite Features

AWD, strong reliable motor, reliability, low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything other than it would be nice if they rethought the little plastic plugs that hold the panel up when you open the hatch. They tend to wear and fall out.

My 1997 GS-T
By dan

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car at 117,000. In just over a year and a half it's at 142,000. At 142,000, the factory turbo is still working just fine. Just make sure you don't miss the regular oil changes and keep up with your maintenance and the car will continue to work well for you. At 10 years old, there is no rust and everything works. Overall a great car, though keep in mind that with a turbo your maintenance is higher because so much of the engine bay is used up making it harder to remove and get to necessary parts.

Favorite Features

Turbo of course, low profile, color (red), spoiler, fascia, 46g3 engine.

Suggested Improvements

AWD should have been standard on this car considering the turbo. Too much horsepower for a 2WD, not that I'm complaining (oversteer is too much at times), not great in rain or snow, however keeping it in 1st or 2nd keeps it under control. Stronger headlights, stiffer suspension.

Mutsubishi Eclipse - Best Car
By Bernier65

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is the best car that I have ever had in my 37 years. It's fast, comfortable, and gets pretty good gas mileage. The price is also great.

Favorite Features

The 2.0 DHOC turbo engine.

Suggested Improvements

I like the way it is and would not change a thing!

You're gonna like it.
By aLzA~

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I have owned my Eclipse almost 2 years now. This car is really good and fun to drive. I use it for everyday driving so don't be afraid to do so youeself.

Favorite Features

The style, great ride, and good feeling.

Suggested Improvements

The interior trim could ne nicer. It needs bigger wheels and more power from the base engine.

one long fun ride
By jplgsx

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Bought this used in '98. I had no idea what a great car I had purchased. AWD and turbo for a bargain price. I have mintained this car very well and could not resist adding some of the modifications available. I took it out on to the road racing track and surprised Corvettes and RX7 turbo cars. This is a very special car that unfortunately Mitsubishi no longer makes. The Evolution 8 is the only thing close.

Favorite Features

It has to be the AWD and turbo, but there is so much room under the hatch. This is a great car for road trips - as long as you watch your right foot! It is very easy to find you are going a lot faster than you think you are.

Suggested Improvements

The quality of the leather was very poor. Tanned elephant skin. Changed it out for a full Katskin interior. The front ball joints need to be looked after carefuly. There are some minor faults, but there is nothing like it for the price. I laugh at Porches that cost 100 time what I paid for mine