1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
A Solid Entry-level Sports Car
By saikyan on 10/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

Overall I've been very happy with my 97' Eclipse GS. For starters, the car is absolutely gorgeous... easily one of the most attractive 90's sports cars. The interior is also very well designed. Small back seats.. but really, you shouldn't buy a car like this with backseat comfort in mind. No problems with reliability... give it routine maintenance and watch the gasket (as it seems to be the least reliable part of the car). The engine itself is decent in terms of performance. It is competant, but not particularly fast... If you're serious about speed look into a GST or GSX. Fuel economy is excellent, and the car handles very nicely. Pretty good sound system, too.

love my car
By Althea on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I have not had many problems with my car, and have had only to put out over all, a couple thousand in it over the course of 7 years I love the way it handles, I love driving the car

Fun, fast, and reliable.
By Danielle GS-T on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Great gas mileage, very reliable, fun to drive. The clutch had to be replaced, but that was after about 5 years.

Love my car
By monica1 on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I love my Eclipse but if I had done the research I would hav purchased a gs-t or gsx.

My Favorite Car
By Ben on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I love this car, this is the perfect car for someone who wants to learn how to modify cars. This car is safe, fun, and reliable. The only bad thing about this car is that the gas gauge is wrong. Since it is all-wheel-drive the gas tank is split in two. So when it says your on empty and the low fuel light is on, you actually have 7 gallons left.

Rock-solid turbo engine with beauty
By dan chi on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

1. Rock solid turbocharged engine makes for a happy drive every day. Stuck behind a slow truck going 20mph when traffic is zipping by at 45mph? No problem, punch it in first gear and slam it into second and you'll start passing those cars going 45 in just a couple of seconds. :-) Big smile. 2. This car is so reliable it's amazing. I was always under the impression that these cars were not that reliable before I got one. Now I think differently. Much love to this engine designed by mitusibishi. 4. Go get one. Just make sure it's been treated properly and the timing belt has been changed or else suffer expensive repairs.

fun fast car
By mraley31 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

this is a great car! I bought it used and it is still running great with over 100k. there is not much room inside for passangers so if you want a car your friends wont beg you to drive this is great. the only thing i dont like is that there is no traction in first gear. other than that great fun fast car.

still a thrill
By blackwings on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

going on my 5th year with this car and i'm still in love with it. with no more than routine maintenance it still runs like new and it's style doesn't seem dated. very fun to drive and low maintenance.

Great Ride
By klepore on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

This car is an absolute blast to drive. I have a 5 spd manual transmission and it is quite zippy. However, it is a base model vehicle so you pay for what you get. It has 43000 miles and haven't had a problem with it yet. I do however question the build quality of the vehicle, the doors kind of have a rattling noise to them when you slam the door. It just doesn't feel real solid, but overall a great car and very fun to drive. Also, it has a great storage capacity. I was very surprised, once you fold down the backseat you can fit just about anything in the hatch.

great car
By blue rh on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

the car is fast fun and reliable. the only thing that is poor is the blind spots in the car. lots of torque steer but thats ok