Used 2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Love it! Lots of fun and looks
By Mini09 - TC MI

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got my Mini with Cash for Clunkers deal. Great value for the money. I have the extended warrantee and the fuel pump had to be replaced at 5000 miles. :( I wasn't happy but the service was good and everything else has been great. Love the pepper white with black top and bonnet stripes--SHARP. Handles great, very fast, mileage good, excellent for running around town for errands, taxiing kids etc.

Get lots of looks and questions and comments from other drivers. Very fun, enjoy driving to work.

Location of window buttons is awkward and sometimes my travel mug will bump the seat heater and will roast me 'til I notice. Hard for me to open the bonnet (short female fingers) I always need help.

Over The Top Performance
By bbracr

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Economical, well crafted, and hot to trot. The "S" turbo has all the performance & handling you could possibly want while delivering great fuel economy/ The car steps up to anything you want it to do from shopping to open road racing to kana cross and is fantastic for daily use. Interior actually gives me more room that my other car, Corvette, and driving position and flexibility is great for both my wife and myself. The car is an absolute blast and with a few performance enhancements could be a road warrior.

The drive train is my favorite piece of this car. Good torque & the turbo kicks butt. I use the sport setting / manual and let the car unwind. Shifting is precise. Acceleration at higher speeds is excellent, and cornering ability, due to the wheelbase & low center of gravity makes this a contender.

The run flats it came with are not up to what this car can do. Change 'em! The upgrade sound system is great but doesn't have to take an engineering degree to figure out. The cup holders - Yes it's picky - are a pain and interfere with the controls. Need some exhaust and breather options.

Best Decision
By Kikapu

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I owned a BMW M3,Jeeps and a Nissan Xterra. I needed a fuel efficient vehicle for my 70 mile per day commute. My husband I test drove the Toyota Prius and hated everything about it. We then stopped at the Mini dealership- and after a test drive we were hooked. I will never be without a Mini again. Gas mileage runs 38-40 mpg and it is an absolute joy to drive.

Handles so well it is as if it was custom made just for me.

I can't think of anything I would change.

not so economical as you had hoped
By Keokola

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I loved my Mini before I bought it brand new. Coveted it for years, saved up for it. Paid cash. But before I drove it off the lot I was told it takes only premium gas-- not the good mileage I thought. Then all the dashboard lights started coming on, one at a time. The low tire light; I can't even tell which tire, but the only way to reset is to take it to Mini Hawaii to have them use the special hi-tech gizmo on it for $135! Then the engine light (which I think is related to a 1st-time gas fillup gas cap mistake) but I can't get that reset without the same $135 diagnostic gizmo. It's still cute, and I still love it but it promises to become very expensive in time and money. I have regret.

It's so darned cute. It's small. It's responsive. The interior is pretty, luxurious, and comfortable. It's quiet. It's look and cachet make me love it and personify it.

Make a Mini that takes regular gas. Tell people the truth about the premium gas--before they buy the car. Make the diagnosis of dashboard lights less expensive. Mini appeals to people's desire for economy and then its maintenance/repair practices fly in the face of this very selling point.

Never judge a car by it's appearance
By Mac

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I was dead set against my wife getting this car. Stupid me.. Gas milage is more than expected, handles great ( dangerously good) and very comfortable after you find your correct position. Having an armrest is a must for comfort. I've never seen my wife so happy to get up and go to work knowing she gets to drive her Mini everyday.

1 - Armrest 2 - Ability to lower drivers seat 3 - Colored lighting 4 - Sunroof 5 - BMW engine new for 2009 vs Chrysler engine 6 - Handeling 7 - Mini people are friendly

1 - Seatbelt always getting stuck behind seat 2 - Radio controls are terrible 3 - Move seatback adjustment to outside of seats, difficult to find and work where it is currently.

• SUV