2009 MINI Cooper Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2009 Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Sort Reviews by

These Cars Have Problems! Be Careful...
By candleman

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Be sure to ask your local dealer just HOW MANY of these vehicles they have serviced for "carbon build up" problems. Problem starts usually just outside the 36K warranty, are anywhere from $500 - $1000 to fix, and will recur about every 40K miles or so. Evidently, if they are not driven "aggressively" (high RPM's), this is COMMON. Do the research, gang... [non-permissible content removed]

Favorite Features

My ex-wife and I LOVE the looks, drive and just about everything about this car (except placement of the speedometer). However, given the carbon buildup problem/repair and the fact that it is expected to happen about every 40K miles given the conservative way that we drive, how could we ever recommend it?

Suggested Improvements

Mini dealers KNOW about the "carbon buildup" problem... they see it all the time and charge big $$ to repair it. They do NOT fix the problem... only the symptom and know it will happen again and again. We are so disgusted with how they have treated us and don't understand why others have not posted here previously to warn us. I hope others benefit from this post, and strongly urge you to RESEARCH this before you buy a used one (at 34K miles 9 months ago) like we did.

Great, Fun-to-Drive Car
By engender

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had some problems with carbon build up as mentioned in other reviews, but I have not had any other mechanical problems and I've never had to have my MINI towed. To prevent the carbon build up, I was told to use a gas additive every month and drive in a spirited manner every so often. With my MINI S, I often find myself driving in a spirited manner. The horsepower is great for merging onto an interstate or passing slower cars on single-lane roads. It's also great for weaving in and out of rush-hour traffic. The main drawback is the rough ride. I've hit potholes (and a ladder once) that have slammed my teeth together. However, the only damage done to the MINI was a broken headlight!

Favorite Features

Handling, pickup, gas milage (I get an average of 28 mpg with my spirited rush-hour driving, with about 34 mpg on the interstate).

Suggested Improvements

If a smoother ride would compromise the handling, I'm okay with a jaw-jar every few months.

Poor Reliability
By lorri636

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2009 Cooper S with automatic transmission. It's a fun car to drive, but goes in to have work done about every 6 months. It's had multiple problems with misfiring, carbon build up, timing belt replaced at 24,000 miles, electronic sensor issues. I'll probably keep it until the warranty is up and then trade it. Will never buy a Mini again.

do not buy
By mike1006

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

do not buy, very unreliable. These cars have major issues. We are very disappointed in service from 800 mini and the car has issues. I would absolutely knowing what I know now never recommend this car to anyone. If an engine light comes on the only acceptable answer is to stop and be stranded. never ever get this car for young people or your wife. Until recent issues we loved it, but now after terrible experiences with dealer not ours but on road and mini themselves I would never buy. If you read this, this is not from an unreasonable person, but a father who does not want anyone else to go through what he has had to do 1200 miles away.

BUY OR CONSIDER BUT BEWARE
By chungking

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Mini Cooper S 2009 brand new. It was performing great for the first year but then as it got older although it was under mileage (12,700 miles) in 14 months of ownership, the engine experienced annoying pinging sound specially while on idling. Note* the engine is warm. I took it to the dealership and was told it's normal. The pinging sound became louder and it sounded like a diesel engine. I traded it in for a Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback AWD Turbo Lancer Ralliart.

Suggested Improvements

BMW Mini need to realize that there is a problem with the engine. Reading the owner forums, there is definitely an engine concern specially with the S models.

Terrible Car
By mcmenefee

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After owning a 2006 cooper I took the plunge and "upgraded" to a 2009 Cooper S. This is one of the biggest car-buying mistakes I have ever made! It has only 40,000 miles on it and has already been towed 3 times, had carbon buildup in the engine, a new clutch and flywheel (beware this costs over $2000), a new timing chain, tensioner, rails, and gears, and the list goes on! I will never buy another mini and plan to get rid of this one as quickly as possible

Favorite Features

It's got great styling and can be fun to drive when it is running properly.

Suggested Improvements

Mini should really revisit the 2006 model specs. I never had a problem with my last cooper.

Piece of junk!
By Carol Forte

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The first year could be called the "honeymoon period". After that lookout! First of all the service dept is comprised of idiots. They will NOT listen to the customer and will look for any reason than the one the customer is complaining about to blame the issue on. My issue? Carbon deposits in the motor. Yes folks, this can happen to your "fun loving" MINI too - and probably will. 4 trips to MINI - 2 times with the engine light on and guess what? Carbon deposits aka "engine buildup". This issues starts to occur between 30- 40K. You will notice skipping in 1st gear, decreased performance, oddities, etc... and the run around from MINI. Good luck! I traded my little buggy of issues!

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Improve service dept, get rid of run flats, fix engine buildup, lower service prices.

Better than expected
By a happy owner

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

A fun car to drive; I was initially worried about its reliability, but after 12,000 miles, only problem I've had was the electrical control of the Windows (not closing completely when the close button was pressed once), which was fixed by the dealer at no cost promptly. I built and ordered it online, tailor-made for me, after 6 wks, the car was at the dealer as I designed. Cool! Overall, very happy; a great build quality (much better than I expected from a British make, but I guess German engineering is at work nowadays). Will buy it again

Favorite Features

fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

not much, don't change it too much for the next generation car!

Mini, a great surprise
By AD MCMLX

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I actually own a Cooper Clubman S which I transitioned to via MB C class Kompressor and BMW Z4. I had no high hopes for this car outside of that was built by BMW. 4 months later and 4k miles on it I absolutely adore this car. Granted this car is the most expensive and overpriced little car on the market but when you get a good deal you appreciate it that much more. This truly is a drivers car especially in SPORTs mode. LA to Vegas (300 mi) with barely over a half a tank (37.6 mpg) 75 mph @3k rpm. 476-500 miles to empty w/ some city driving. Cruises uphill Mount St Jacinto with 3 people in 4th gear to 8000 feet with ease. Rancho Mirage- Idyllwilde-Los Angeles 39.7 mpg.(140 mi)

Favorite Features

Steering is top notch, Precise and direct. Turbo shines across the range without being loud. Long drives quite comfortable. USB audio and Satellite radio is a must have, giving you plenty of uninterrupted music.Interior lighting is therapeutic and inviting.

Suggested Improvements

Hope to see the all wheel drive from the new Countryman in all the Mini's. Then this is going to become the best ride ever. Cruise control should be available on manual also. Center console should be standard.

To my fellow Road Warriors
By RoadWarrior

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I love my 2009 MINI and it's a good thing I do because I spend most of my time in it. I am writing this review for people who are considering buying this car for frequent long trips. The car is a blast but I'm not sure I would purchase again because of all the long trips I take. In 14 months I have driven this car almost 60k mi. To be honest, the interior is not very comfortable. After driving about 2 hours on the hwy I start to get fidgety. Being in the passenger seat is almost unbearable after 1hr. Great gas mileage, but not really any pickup on the highway. I know I sound like I'm complaining. I really love my Mini but if you plan on driving as much as I do, you might want to reconsider.

Favorite Features

I get lots of compliments on my red and black seats, double sunroof, and huge gauges (tho they're not for everyone.) Mood lights are cool too! The car is a real attn-getter and you feel like you belong to a special club because when you drive past other Mini owners you always get a wave or a smile.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the placement of the ipod jack, it's almost impossible to connect while you are driving. Window controls are in a bad spot, blocked by cup holders. The hatch can be difficult to open.