1995 Mercury Tracer Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:
Bad transmission
By Mehginous on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I bought my tracer in 95 I always took my car to the dealers to get serviced. They messed up my brakes and they told my nothing was wrong with my transmission for 2 years including a week before they told me I would have to pay $3000 to replace the tran, I ended up taking it to mechanic who rebuilt for $1500. Ford\Mercury refused to help pay for my tran. even though I had told them about tran problems while the car was under warrenty the tran broke 2 months after the warrenty ended. I also had an alternator break at about 50k. Despite these problems the tracer has I would say the car's biggest problem has been it manufacuter ford\mercury

not all that bad
By JoshWMU on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

I owned a 95 tracer for my first car. Though it was not my first choice, I never once regretted it. It was a great car, while nothing fancy, it got me everywhere I needed to go and only broke down once (timing belt, i'm sure someone forgot to replace it before i bought it.) Stock stereo is terrible, you will be quite happy with a cheap upgrade. engine, while nothing special, is good enough to do anything you need it to do...you just might have to floor it instead of the half- throttle you might use on other cars.

Reliable after 7 years
By Illinois on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

I've had my '95 Tracer (Trio version) for almost seven years and three problems - the a/c compressor broke, but during the warranty period, so Ford fixed it. It had a vacuum leak just this year, which wasn't a major expense to fix. The parking break broke - you can engage it, but it won't dis-engage. No rust, no broken or lose parts. the interior has held up very well. The seats don't look worn. It has been a reliable car, considering it's a Ford.