Used 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Bubbling and Peeling Paint
By Great Dayne

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have purchased Ford products for 44 yrs! From mustangs to Lincoln town cars! I own a 2001 Mercury grand marquis ls and a 2004 Mercury grand marquis gs! The problem is the bubbling and peeling paint on both my Mercury's! The 2001 is peeling in the seams around the back window and roof and have started to rust! The 2004 has the major paint problem! I have the same problem as the 2001 but, much, much worse! The roof paint is literally bubbling off the metal as it is around the back window! The weird thing is that I met a woman at the gas station (that has a 2003 marquis). Her gd marquis is peeling in the same places as mine! Rust is all over this car!

Favorite Features

The ride, the room and the great gas mileage for a v8!

Suggested Improvements

I've been to the dealer, no help! I've called the 1-800 number, no help! I have filed a lemon law complaint, I've spread the problem with the paint on facebook! I'm ready to camp outside the local dealerships with my cars and signs!Don't hide from the problem, fix it! I'm buying GM this year! Bye

My 2001 Mercury Grand LS
By Julia

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Second Grand Marguis LS I've owned and it's because they drive and ride so easy and have such power. Roomy, comfortable, luxury at it's best. I love it. Someone backed into me in the Arby's parking lot once and I had to have it repaired. The Robert Hutson dealership did a great job. I always had service done at 3,000 miles and have not had any problems.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage for a V8 and all the comfort. Large truck.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they had one in a hardtop convertible. I have the fever for one.

The best of the best
By Scott

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned the Marquis for over three years. Got the car with 54,000 miles and after the three years of beating it down with delivery service for almost 100,000 of my own miles, the car is still running magnificently. My mom had a 96 and put 308,000 miles and it was still running. These cars are reliable

Favorite Features

The engine, the comfort, dash, trunk, and smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Dual exhaust and a showing of the RPM's with digital dash

Reliable
By Chris

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Grand Marquis LS and it is a very reliable car even with over 174,000 miles on it. The only things that kept this thing from starting was a few bad alternators and at about 170,000 miles a bad ignition switch. The gas mileage in this thing is a killer. I get about 15 city and 22 highway, but I don't drive like the car is made for, a grandma. For a V8 this car's horsepower is way less than impressive, most V6's and a lot of l4's nowadays have more power than it. If you want a safe, reliable family car then the Grand Marquis is the way to go. If I were to buy it again I would rebuild it to how Ford should have.

Favorite Features

Rear wheel drive, V8, big, reliable smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower, posi rearend or a good limited slip differential. I hate that only one tire spins. Could have a tachometer, optional manual transmission, more responsive steering, wish it still had a 5 liter (302) V8.

2001 Grand Marquis LS
By Sarandos

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was our first large sedan. We found it to be luxurious and very comfortable. Mil age was a pleasant surprise at 21 mpg around town and 27 mpg on long runs (8 cross country trips). Generous trunk space is a plus for long, extended trips. We had one traveling mishap; on the first return trip from out West the transmission went out. We stopped at a nearby town where the transmission was replaced in a couple of days. We were loaned a car to get around with and treated well. Upon our return, I submitted bills for hotel and meals which were promptly paid. Over all we found the car to be everything we wanted and a bit more. As a result of our good experience, we purchased a 2006 Grand Marquis

Favorite Features

We particularly enjoyed the roomy comfort of this car. The many features, which we at first thought were not needed, proved to add to our pleasure in using this car.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats and back up beeper.