Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

SLK 55 AMG
By Jerry

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

Overall just an awsome car. Fun to drive anywhere except terrible roads or off road where you would not want to be anyway. Be careful of steep driveways as it is very low. Especially fun on the track. On the track you can really push it and use the power and stability the car has for a great experience. On the freeway I get about 24 mpg and on the track I get about 7.1 mpg. I wish they had the performance option available when I ordered mine in mid 2005. As long as it is not raining, the top is down and you never get cold with the heated seats, heater, and airscarf. I have driven it in sunny 38 degrees top down and just a heavy shirt or light jacket. You will love it.

Brakes are awsome on the track, allowing you to break hard at the last moment with no fade at all after a long straitaway.

Could use just a little more power. 400 hp would be just about right.

Worth every Penny!
By Evan

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned my SLK55 for a little less then a year. I traded in my 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo for this AMG beast. It handles like it is on rails, and accelerates with flawless shifting without ever missing a beat. Easier to maintain than any other super car out there! If you can get yourself into one, you won't regret it.

Classic sports car lines. Incredible handling and acceleration. Controls are simple, yet sporty, and all laid out like only the Germans can.

The seats need to be able to recline further because the rear compartment prohibits the seat from moving any further back without bringing the seat closer to the steering wheel. The glove box should be able to accomadate something bigger than a wallet with the CD changer taking up too much room.

Just simply amazing
By Easty

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

OK, it's expensive and it's not a super light little racer. But it's pretty much a fantastic performer in every area. Race track fun, Top down crusing, luxury tour driving, and looks to simply kill. Pulling up to the finest manor house is not a problem. It's not perfect at anything, Just perfect at everything.

AMG Performace. Stands up with the fast cars in a stock setup on the track. Looks, What really compares to its sophisticated sports looks?

Modernize the Command somewhat. Nav does seem a little dated.

Definite winner
By johnb

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first sporty car I've had since my 1973 911T. Needless to say, that car set a high standard. The SLK exceeded my expectations. Not a "chick car", the MB handles and performs like a real sports car. Plus, it's comfortable for a tall driver (6'5"). Don't know yet about the reliability, but I'm hoping the R171 platform has it designed in. Daimler really got it right with this one!

Convertible top (hard) 6-speed

Standard tranny on AMG model

Great Fun, Little Car
By Mossbeck

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is built for those of us who have our transportation needs covered by our other vehicles. The car is fun and fast, with a depandable and quick response to what the driver wants it to do. The 3.5 liter engine can get you into "illegal territory" in absolutely no time. My wife and I love our SLK 350 and will recommend it to any one who wants to spoil themselves with some luxury fun. Get used to compliments, because people will walk up to you with some nice words about that car.

The hard top convertible is the best of both worlds. It is a true sports car, but with all the luxury you expect from Mercedes.

Mercedes and other European luxury car makers must understand that cup holders actually is a safety feature. We Americans love to have access to our beverage while driving. Flimsy cupholders can be a distraction. Who wants to wear your coffee or water, when exiting your fancy car.