Used 2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Awesome Car!!!
By aljor042

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Just bought my 06 RX-8 GT with 30k miles on it and am loving it. Test drove one and fell in love immediately. The handling is amazing, it is unlike anything in its price range. The engine has plenty of power don't worry about what everybody is saying about a lack of power, this thing will move! Gas mileage isn't all that bad either I got 25 mpg on a 300 mi trip with the cruise set on 80.

Handling, seats, bose audio, sunroof, keyless ignition, black and red interior is awesome.

Flooding issues.

This is different.
By buteman

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I honestly could not see myself in one of these cars, but I'm really enjoying the experience. Perhaps with just buying this lovely car I'm not quite qualified to offer an opinion but here is my initial impressions. I was fortunate to find a low mileage ( 25k,in kilometers ) GT model with the luxury package and automatic ( wife needs auto. ) We took it for a good run on a winding highway,,,,wow, it has more than enough power for me ( I'm 64 ) the handling was great, the paddle shifters are great fun, so smooth a ride. The interior is so luxurious and very comfortable, oh sure it sucked some fuel but that is a known fact with this car and that's the price you pay,,no big deal. Nice car !!

It's just so much fun to drive. Paddle shifters two thumbs up there. The interior at nightime, the drivers information center.

I won't really comment on the high fuel consumption, if you need better fuel mileage buy something else. The only negative item I found was the blindspot, so take care when changing lanes.

2006 RX8 Grand Touring A.T.
By Fantastic RX8

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Great Car and talk about fun to drive!!! I bought mine used with 34000 miles on it. Fully loaded with every option available. The 6 speed A/T is excellent and what makes it even more fun is the paddle shifting. The handling is positive and very responsive. The ride is smooth and not stiff. The rotary engine is smooth and responsive. No need to rev it to 9000 rpm (red line) that's just crazy and asking for a early engine death. All I can say is, "I'm going to have a lot of fun driving my RX8". :-) You guys out there have fun with yours as well and take care! 22-23mpg mainly city driving.

DSC (Dynamic Stability Control)Tight suspension, Plenty of horsepower (212) Navigation system is great. Heated seats are great for the early morning commute. Bose stereo system is excellent!

Additional gauges would be nice. Charging system, Average mpg display.

Mazda RX8 AT GT
By Rotary Owner

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Beautiful car, fun to drive, but not quite there yet. I waited until 2006 to get mine so Mazda could work out the kinks of a new design, but I had many of the same problems found in the 04s. If you buy, buy used after seeing a report of repairs - some cars are great, some cars are bad, there doesn't seem to be an in-between. Buy a used one with 30K - 40K miles and that didn't have its engine replaced and you should be happy. And above all else, don't buy a 6-speed AT - the transmission won't let the car rev high enough to burn out the carbon build out. I love rotaries, but they should be MT, so I'm selling this one and keeping to my '79 RX-7 for my rotary fun (still running).

Exterior design, fun factor.

Automatic transmission, engine mounts, brakes, tires.

The RX8 Rocks
By MaryAnn Allison

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I've had my RX8 for almost 2 years. It is both automatic and manual. It looks great and handles like a dream. Looks like a sophisticated sports car and has a back seat. I've never had anything malfunction so far. The gas mileage is poor but it is worth it. 100% satisfied