Used 2005 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Mazda6

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Moderte
By Contessa Baird

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a lot of fun for me, but I feel it is not fully insulated and creates a lot of background noise.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to sit in, fairly reliable. The vehicle made a nonstop 4,000 mile trip with out any complications. Gives a sporty feel which is enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

INTERIOOOORRR, everything breaks. The fact that most of the plastic in the car finds a way to break or crack is disappointing. Like the Man-box above the stereo and the sun visor clip. When hitting bumps during a drive the cd player will glitch. My Thermostat went bad @ around the 100,000 mile marker, $360 fix. I feel Mazda cheeped out on the much needed detail this car needs. But I still love her.

The Pros and Cons of a Mazda6
By jcurve

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 2.3L 4-cylinder engine found in the Mazda6 is completely adequate for most people, but when combined with the body of the Mazda6, causes some noticeable deficiencies. 1) The body weighs too much overall. This leads to mediocre acceleration. I will say, however, the speed and power available on long uphill grades is above average. 2) The body is low-profile. This means you can't put standard chains on the front tires. Only cables or low-profile chains (which are extremely expensive). 3) If you drive much past 90 mph, the downforce winds and centrifugal force on the tires cause the tires to rub against the wheel wells. The engine is capable of more than the body can take

Favorite Features

I love the orange interior lights at night. Feels like I'm driving the Batmobile. I've also gotten a few complements on the body style of my Mazda.

Suggested Improvements

1) Raise the vehicle enough to allow chains and eliminate the problem of tires rubbing against the wheel wells. 2) Reduce the overall weight or make the engine bigger to improve acceleration.

True Zoom
By sydtron

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Going into my fifth year (at 92000 miles) with my 2005 Mazda6S GT, I'm still enjoying the driver oriented experience baked into this car from day one. Only reliability issues I've encountered are the headlights burning out and a strut bearing causing noise. Otherwise, taking good care to replace general maintenance items has kept the car in good working condition, and I don't baby the car. The relationship between driver and car, in regards to seating position, steering, throttle, and general feel is fantastic. Refinement could be better (2006+ models are noticeably more refined), but I enjoy this car every time I drive it. New sport shocks, springs, and larger rear sway added.

Favorite Features

Steering - Could have a little less slack, but the information on what the tires are doing makes hard driving easy and fun. Feels like a sports car. Transmission - While the 6-speed Aisin automatic is not buttery smooth (especially when cold) like newer automatics, it is well geared for the engine, holds revs to fuel cutoff, and for the most part is very direct and connected. Chassis - While lacking refinement, the car simply transmits plenty of what it is doing to the driver through the seat and wheel, enabling you to take advantage of the very sporty nature of the cars suspension. Interior - Mine has held up well, is functional and looks sharp.

Suggested Improvements

Engine - V6 is strong and smooth when revved out (also fun and sounds great), but could use more low end torque. Weather - The car is fun to drive, but its quick responses can make driving in the snow and rain difficult. Solved this by just having excellent tires; Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer, Bridgestone Blizzack WS-70 for winter. Shocks - My car, not sure if all '05 6's, needed better shock damping. I replaced the stockers with Koni FSD dampers, huge difference. 2006+ models felt better than the 05 stock. A/C - Could be stronger. Going to replace coolant after winter, will reevaluate then. Refinement - A bit of road noise, and more suspension noise than I'd like.

mazda 6 good but lowsy interior
By dead_catz

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

First car, First of all it drove great and is fun to drive, i put a Cold air and magnaflow on her (2.3) sounded beautiful but the interior was a peice of trash, the LCD notoriously on mazda 6 went out great cool 150 bucks to replace... the mapbox above the radio sucked and the lid broke the 6 disc cd changer cds no longer cycle well... overall 90k miles no problems except for the trashy interior

Favorite Features

18 gallon gas tank decent gas mileage HUGE spaceous interior on the hatchback

Suggested Improvements

LCD.... mapbox lid... CD changer radio...

My First Car
By bullrunlover

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As this being my first vehicle, it was a good choice, especially with TCS (Traction Control System), I've had it for almost a whole year and mine has 68,500 miles. The only problem I've had with it was the A/C, which doesn't blow very well, and a terrible creaking noise coming from the engine area when I rev it or turn on the A/C. The brakes are amazing, they have to go through pretty bad situations in my area due to bad drivers. The build quality of the interior is pretty bad, the fuse door and some of the unnecessary bits and pieces have came off and I've had to put them back on while driving, which can be dangerous. But overall, this car has been one that I'd keep until it's inherited.

Favorite Features

I love the red color, it matches the black interior, especially at night! I love the sleek body style, it shows how cute it is and also how it has its mean side. The seats are really comfortable, I feel good doing a 200-300 mile journey without having to stop due to a cramp or if my foot has fell asleep. Even though I don't use them, I love the rear foldable seats, even though the trunk already has enough space already. I love the fact that it loves to rev, the 2.3 liter Inline 4 is powerful enough to get the job done. The 18 gallon tank is pretty good aswell, which is handy for long trips and for school.

Suggested Improvements

The interior style is slightly bland, it's okay but it needs some work. The interior build quality is pretty bad, unimportant pieces tend to fall off or pop out. It needs a few more AC Adaptors for the backseat, they charge their phones too.