2000 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Money Pit!
By chuckcb66 on 11/30/13 12:27 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought the 4 cylinder with about 30k miles on it. Once I hit 100k every major system started breaking down. Replaced the transmission, everything on the front end from the sway bar to the tie rods and ball joints. Electrical problems. I think I put more money in this car than I paid for it. I will never buy a Mazda product again. Not built to last. Drove daily 80 miles a day all highway. The worst car I ever owned.

2000 mazda 6 with 281k miles and still running!
By tamoshanter on 04/19/11 09:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

i bought this car new in 5/00 with 16 miles. since then, i now have over 281,000 miles on it and it's still running strong. A/C replaced 2 yrs ago, front axles replaced last year and transmission is going out (5 sp man), but with almost all highway miles, i'm going to drive it into the ground. otherwise, runs smooth, good pick up, comfortableand gets me there and back reliably! happy enough that we bought a 2009 mazda 6 that my wife now drives around!

Totally Disappointed
By mr_misled on 03/10/11 14:01 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Purchased the 626 used at 60k mi. Now have around 173k and on the 3rd transmission, which is now going out after 31k miles. That's $2,200 for the transmission that lasted less than 2yrs. Beyond that, I've went through many a hot months without AC, after spending 800 to repair it. But hey, it has an oscillating vent that still works!! Truly a bad piece of machinery.

2000 mazda 626
By lorgan on 12/17/10 14:33 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

hi, i had a 1993 mazda 626 a few year ago, i have to say it was a brilliant car, i had it 2 years and i never had any trouble with it. I recently purchased a 2000 mazda 626 , which is about 10 year old. I didn't expect to get a perfect car second hand , i knew it needed some work, i got a set of spark plugs, rear right hand brake caliber and an altenator belt. I feel the same about this car as i did about my first one, its like a big tank, a big bird on the road, u really get noticed in it. lol. Its quiet, comfortable, and reliable. I always wanted another 626 after my first one.

Not a good over 120,000 vehichle
By dusnth on 03/27/10 21:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

My husband & I purchased this vehicle used with about 55,000 miles on it. Was very reliable with very few problems until it reached around 120,000 when we were constantly dealing with issues. From A/C issues that had to be fixed because they were needed for other systems, to main engine trouble, this car turned into a money pit with high miles. I noticed most reviews have been written with the cars still under 100,000 miles. If you are wanting a car that will last, get rid of your 626 before it hits 120,000. We wish we did. The repair man just told us it would be another $700 to fix the issues this time. We said forget it, and revived an older car we had. A much more reliable choice.

Problems
By Hey882 on 02/21/10 16:36 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this used car in February 3rd, and I drove till the 5th and the car broke down. Having no Acceleration when i was driving and when i pulled up to the side trying to re-start the vehicle it won't start. So i brought it to the Mechanics to repair the problem, they found out that the "Fuel Pump" was broken. So I got it repair and drive it for another 3 days the same problem appear. So I think this is not a good car unless you want to have as a back up. Right now if the car is fix, I'm still worry about driving this car around. Its like wasting money to buy a car that cannot drive.

my first car
By JD on 09/05/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car. My dad bought it new at the dealership and when he got a altima he gave this car to me. It is a very solid car. It has solid acceleration and good handling. I like to push this car to its limits. I have hit 120 in this car! Anyway the seats are very comfortable and supportive. The air conditioning works well and I think every single person that has been in my car has commented on the rotating air vents! The transmission is ok (I wish I had a manual). The design of this car is ok, I think its a little too round. The newer sixes look a lot nicer, but obviously this car is nine yrs old. Overall this is a good car

Almost 120,000 miles in 6 years!!
By CR on 08/09/08 21:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car A LOT -- long road trips, extended periods of stop & go local driving, and commuting up a mountain and back 6 days a week for almost 2 years. It is very comfortable. The only downside is the tiny engine. I've maintained my car well and it now has 163,000+ miles. I am finally in need of a new one. The struts are shot and so are my motor mounts. I think these issues may have been caused, in part, by my driving around for a month with a broken sway-bar link (part of the suspension). I've never had a problem with my transmission, or engine. I'd get my car fixed, but with 163,000+ miles it is hard to say how much longer the transmission will last...I'll miss my car :-/

206,000 miles
By Aeromech99 on 06/07/08 17:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Replaced transmission (about $800.00 used) but bought car for $500.00, great exterior condition, black with excellent paint. Will install a tranny cooler since none on car from factory. I drive about 50-60 miles a day and get satisfactory mpg. Best used car I ever bought. Need to fix A/C. Looks like a slow leak. Transmissions are hard to come by used, expect about $900-$1400 rebuilt with warranty. Shifts hard into 2nd gear, also hard on the downshift to 1st. Most gear heads i speak to say this is fine. If motor goes I will replace with 6 cyl.

Best daily grind car
By Playfirst on 05/31/08 01:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Very comfortable, engine buzzy at 75 mph, slow pick up - don't even bother to rev it past 3500 rpms, handles great, avg. 27.5 mpg mostly city driving. Awesome car for a practical lifestyle. I love it - best beater, daily grind car!

1 2 3 4 5 next »