Used 1997 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Zoom Zoom
By VMG

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We have purchased Ford's, Pontiac's and even Chevrolet's, they were OK, but when we purchased our Mazda 626, we fell in love with it. It has only left me stranded once; the transmission went out at 62,000 miles. I was angry, but I found out later because being an ex-rental car, there is NO telling how the other drivers treated the car. Other than that, the Mazda 626 has been a wonderful car, so Zoom Zoom.

I like the fact when I am getting on the freeway, well, let's say it ZOOMs and leave it at that.

The only improvement I would suggest is perhaps thicker seats.

Don't buy this piece of junk!
By Dez

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle new and it has been a headache. The transmission had to be replaced at 24,000 miles, the steering column twice, the timing belt at 1,000 miles, and a few other things. The engine light keeps coming on, fuel economy stinks, and the transmission is still bad. All in all, $4,000 bucks have been put towards this car. I still think something's wrong with it and I can't figure out what.

Styling, stereo system.

Engine power, transmission, reliability.

Reliable car
By Axis72

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 626DX brand new and have had great luck with the car. I know have 80k miles on it and have had no problems with it. My only complaint is the car is very underpowered with the 4cyl even with the 5speed. The interior is roomy and comfortable for long trips. Great gas milage!!

Gas mileage!!! Good looking car for the price. 5 Speed manual is smooth shifting. Air condition is awesome with the power vents that circulate the air nicely.

4cyl needs more standard power.

Salesman
By carroll

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Quit ride,good milage,fun to drive. best car I have owned in 50 years. Lowest cost to operate.

overdrive automatic. CD changer, theft alarm.

none

Never Buy a Mazda 626
By traceyj406

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have a 97 Mazda 626 which I purchased from Rick Case Mazda. This car has been a nightmare to own. The scoundrels at Rick Case Mazda use dirty tricks when selling cars to women and minorities. It drives well. After the 4th year, it loses some of its power to accelerate quickly. Accelerating with the air makes it worst.The transmission went out approaching 100,000 mile. I had to get the brakes shoes fixed every 6 months. The Mazda 626 is reliable. It has never left me stranded without me knowing it was about to breakdown. The Mazda is really Ford under the hood, like the bad transmission and engine. I would never buy another Ford disguised as a Mazda!

Roomy backseat, comfortable seats. Great in gas

Improve the transmission, and braking system. Improve the little things inside the car.

• SUV