1999 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Kia Sportage Sucks!
By John B.2004 on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1999 Kia sportage has been broken more times than I can keep up with. The Courtesy Ford dealership that I bought it from does not honor their warentee and either does the Kia dealerships. Now I have a lemon on my hands.

Fun to Drive
By Jason L. on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 99 Sportage used with 33,000 miles. Have only had one problem, which was the starter going bad. Other than that, it has been very reliable. It now has 61,000 miles and is still running well. It's pretty utilitarian, which is what I like and it is great in the snow and offroad.

trouble-free rugged SUV
By mach0017 on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

First vehicle I've owned that never needed wheel alignment in five years. 23 mpg average, crusing at posted interstate speed limits. Ride & noise level fine; better than I expected. The ONLY change I would want is more power. Maintaining cruise speed on extended upgrades with a headwind in Wyoming (high-altitude) was sometimes difficult. Consumer Reports is 'unfair;' interior materials & finishing quality is just as good as Honda & Toyota, in my experience.

Way Too Many Issues
By Janon on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV

I would never repurchase this car or the make. Thank God it's gone!

Cute Ute
By Geo K on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

Purchased new in Aug. 1999. Used mainly by wife for errands & shopping. Only have 33K miles on it. Have not had any problems with it. Recently asked wife if she wanted to get a new vehicle. She refused as she likes it too much. It's very dependable, always starts and goes in any weather. Keep up with maintenance and it will take care of you.

A Sad Little Tin Can.
By Gee Off Ray on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV

Defroster and AC weak. Engine underpowered (do NOT try to merge!) Rear wheel drive makes snow a headache. Fuel mileage averages a sad 20 MPG. Very difficult to get in/out of back seat. The manual “Convertible top” is very difficult to get on/off. Can’t open back door w/o partially removing back window. Poor sound & heat insulation (even for a “rag-top”.) On mine the wheel bushings wore out quickly, the spare tire mount eventually pulled the back door out of alignment & the fuel door release cable broke This “SUV” appears designed for warm-weather street driving. (ala South- Cal) NOT cold weather OR actual off- roading.

I love my Sportage
By Mother of 3 on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV

Even though i have't had my Sportage that long is has been very good to me. I drove it from south florida to up north to pensacola with not one problem. I got it at a steal under 4000 and it runs like i bought it new. So i would recommend to anyone who is thinking of buying one to go ahead and buy. Nice little SUV.

Scooty Puff Jr.
By Minneapolitan on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV 4WD

Aside from a few gripes, I love this car. The gas mileage is more than acceptible (22-25 mpg), the 4x4 helps in MN winters, the conv. top is an easy enough affair, and the size is great for city living.

Great to and from work Vehicle
By BiggJ on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

The cupholders in the center console have a tendency to make your drinks spill when you hit a bump...causing the liquid to spill into the center air vents. When it dries, it gets sticky and when you try to turn your air vents they get stuck and break, easily. It also has spilled on the radio reciever. All around i have had fun driving it around and it's excellent for going to and from work. It carries a fairly nice size load, but cannot tow large objects.

STALLER
By LILL on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV

RIDES GREAT W/FULL TANK. WILL STALL FREQ./GAS CAP PROB.?STD. ALARM SYS.? CAN'T FIND OUT WHY THIS CAR STALLS. HAVE BEEN BACK TO DEALER OVER 15 TIMES.