Used 2014 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Great car until.....
By julie

2014 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In 2014 we bought a brand new Patriot for our 16 year old daughter. It's a great vehicle until you have to take it on the freeway in heat. We live in San Francisco and drove it Los Angeles, 7/9/16 on Interstate 5. We had to pull over 4x on the way due to the transmission overheating. When this happens the engine power is automatically reduced and you can't go over 40, and you to pull over, leave the car running until the trasmission cools down. This is quite the hazard when you are in the fast lane and have to navigate to the right shoulder when the average speed on I5 is 75-80mph. Of course, we took it to our local dealer upon our return and "they don't know what the problem could be". We will be trading this vehicle in for something more reliable on the highway as our daughter will eventually be making roadtrips from LA to SF when she enters college this fall. It's too bad because the Patriot is the perfect size vehicle for a teenager. :(

Not impressed
By Nora joyce

2014 Jeep Patriot SUV Latitude 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Poor performance. I already need new brakes (15,000 miles). Exterior seems flimsy and too light weight. Excessive road noise

Love my new ride
By Christine Lopez

2014 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For me the Jeep Patriot is perfect for my needs. I am able to easily get in and out of the car without issues. The seats to me our comfortable and the rear storage is plenty of room for my needs. The only issue I see so far as I am still adjusting to my new car is to put my dogs in the back with their doggie seats is difficult as one side is way too wide to hook the safety straps, yes my dogs have their own car seats. I use to have a RAV4 and the storage in the car was more hidden, but overall the Jeep does have plenty of storage too. Can't truly give a better overall rating as the car is only a week old and so far I am liking it and time will tell how everything else is for maintenance and repairs.

It's a Jeep!
By George

2014 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First of all, it's a Jeep. Do you want plush comfort when driving? I don't think so! It's a Jeep! You really feel the road. You really have to shift gears. The steering is pretty easy though. The worse thing about the Patriot is the front visibility at about 45 degrees on both sides. This is really a problem unless you're very careful when approaching crosswalks.
I wish the gas mileage were a little better, but I shouldn't expect it on a car this size. I get 23 mpg in the city. It could be a little better. The fold-down rear seats are really neat - they fold down all the way, and the passenger-side front seat also folds down.
I like the engine noise - I know what the engine is doing. It's not very loud, but you can hear it revving. 1st gear is powerful - I haven't had any problem going up steep hills on dirt. The other gears are fun because you can go fast in them without the engine over-revving, and you can hear the gas injectors doing their job. I drive in 4th gear under 40 mph, and can downshift to gears that would over-rev the engine in other cars (all other cars I've owned). Once you catch on to how the gears work it's a rush to use them, especially downshifting and revving up to 3 or 4000 to upshift.
The brakes are super nice. I don't know they're there, and I've had to brake sharply on a couple of occasions - no problem, but then I've never had ABS brakes. (my brakes squeak when cold or wet at very low speeds).
The agency where I bought the Patriot honors the warranty, no questions asked. And they wash the car when you service it!
What I'm saying is, it's a little rough for the driving. The front seats are very comfortable. I like a little rough. It's a Jeep!!

My 4x4 2014 Patriot
By Thomas

2014 Jeep Patriot SUV Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Patriot for about a year now and I must say I have been enjoying the car. It is AWESOME for camping, I can put the rear seats down, slide the front seats up, and a twin inflatable mattress fits perfectly inside! I just leave my mattress and a pump in the back at all times, it's pretty sweet. Also has a built in flashlight in the roof, which is very handy when I am using the car as a tent, I know I have a flashlight in an arms reach above me.

I have also used the car quite a bit off road. Taken it to a lot of dirt trails, and the car handles great when I lock the differential and turn the true 4x4 on. It doesn't slide at all coming up hills, actually has surprisingly good traction and I have crappy highway tires on my jeep. Very impressive. I also recently took my jeep to Mammoth Mountain (I'm a Southern Californian), so I was curious to see how it does in snow/ice as I never see those kind of conditions in SoCal. Ran in to some VERY icey roads in Mammoth, slapped on the locking differential, and never thought twice. Once again, more than impressed.

Overall I love the car. I basically got the bare bones version, so it is VERY simple. Radio is a little dated, I plan to replace that with a more modern stereo system/display. All in all, I am getting what I want out of the car. Good gas mileage, fits all my camping stuff, perfect for skiing/snowboarding, fits all my long ocean fishing rods, and I can sleep in the thing. Love it