Jeep GC Love/Hate
By SM on
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)
The abilities of this car lived up to my expectations. Unfortunately, during the 50k miles I owned it I experienced pretty much all of the problems other people have reported. The transmission was repaired once (wouldn't shift from 2nd to 1st after coming to a stop), warped front brake rotors twice, the hatch lock motor replaced, a window regulator replaced and the driver's seat frame broke on the left side where it bolts to the floor. I bought an extended service policy that took care of the most expensive repairs. The steering wheel doesn't look or feel centered with the seat and you replace the entire door panel if you want a factory replacement for a worn arm rest pad ($400 part).
Favorite Features
The size was great and I liked the styling. The fuel economy was well within the EPA estimates. I had wanted to try a Grand Cherokee since the mid 90s and except for the repairs, liked most everything about it.
Suggested Improvements
Better brake rotor life. Transmission could be smoother. Center the steering wheel with the driver's seat (I've seen this problem on other Chrysler products).