2006 Jeep Commander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:
I don't keep cars but, this is a KEEPER!
By takes2tutango on 03/14/10 13:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have had my 06 Commander now a month, am about to hit 50k miles and think I have finally found a vehicle I will keep for a very long time. After reading many reviews I hope I got one of the good ones as it seems that most either love or hate this vehicle with very little grey area for this SUV. I have had more trouble dealing with the dealership on things promised in the deal than with any other part of this purchase. It is NO wonder that the American car industry continues to be in the tank when they still seem to lack in customer service. Up until now I have owned Japanese and have had far better service. Now onto the Jeep Commander-I LOVE IT! All but the gas mileage. :( Fix the mpg's)

Strong and safe
By Mike on 03/09/10 13:48 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Well first let me tell you this is the best Jeep yet. The ride is really nice and all the safety features will help you if in a accident. People say this SUV is bad on gas, well I say lighten up on the gas pedal! This Commander get ok gas mileage for it's size, keep in mind there is alot of steel here. We have hear of others having issues with their Commander's but for us, it been 100% problem free. Our Commander has 65,000 miles on it and it drives the same as day 1. We travel alot and feel very safe in our Commander and in the future, we will buy another with out question. Would we recommend this SUV? The answer is yes but don't buy it if you expect the best gas mileage. It's very heavy!

best vehicle I've ever owned
By george on 02/28/10 17:03 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep in 2006 with 26 miles on it and basically have driven it crazy to the tune of 103,000 miles with no engine problems at all. Only negative I'd have to say is the Goodyear tires that came with the vehicle were awful, I replaced them with Fusion XTI and its been great since...keep up the scheduled maint. and it will keep running.

never again
By never again on 02/26/10 06:31 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first and last Jeep. Lets start with interior there is no cargo room, you can't see anything out of the rear window, when you are at a traffic light you almost have to lay your chin on the dash to see the light, it sounds like the front end is falling out on every bump. Now to the milage WOW I get better mileage in my 1978 big block motorhome pulling a trailer than I do in this jeep just driving around town ! I put a K and N filter in and it didn't help at all. average city is 7-9 hiway is 13-14.5

Maybe I'm just unlucky
By cpr4cpu on 02/11/10 21:36 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned just about every model Jeep prior to '06 so I know what to expect from my Jeeps (or so I thought). I have all service performed at the dealership. This car has spent more time in the shop than every other Jeep I have owned COMBINED! I have had 2 computer modules replaced, had the transmission replaced, had 5...yes FIVE new nav radio systems (each time I have to pay Sirius another transfer fee), had the 4wd wiring harness short out, dead electrical system left me stranded, a burst fuel line molded through the firewall (that was a doozey of a repair bill), and now I find myself stranded 900 miles from home because the 4WD system decided not to talk to the main computer any longer

This Commander Rocks!
By ST8JEEP on 02/09/10 06:32 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven my 06 Commander for a year and am really impressed. It rides and drives smoothly. Cargo space is great. I have hauled 8 ft 4x4 lumber with the tailgate shut. Off road driving is amazing. Drove through 12 inches of snow in a corn field with no problems!

Shame on Chrysler
By upset owner on 01/25/10 15:34 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

ent $40,000 on this Jeep and after 2 years the problems started: 1. Headlights burned out with in the 1st year (not covered due to mileage) 2. Power Windows switch replaced twice in fists two years (covered by warranty) 3. Lights on heater control burned out in 2 years (not covered due to mileage) $250 to fix 4. Parking Asst. quit working after 3 years (not covered due to mileage) $500 to fix. 5. Knob on GPS quit working and can no longer use the GPS (not covered due to mileage) $1000 to replace. I talked to Chrysler about these problems and they basically told me too bad so sad. I asked them about the GPS and they told me to go buy a portable one.

No dip stick!!
By lisaray on 01/12/10 07:19 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Was extremely upset to find that the transmission was leaking and went to check the oil and found that there was NO DIP STICK!! Will be getting rid of the vehicle soon. Will NEVER purchase another Jeep because of this. What if I was on the road and something went wrong w/ the vehicle and really needed to check my oil? Wow, out of luck. They sure do want to make sure to get your money. Love the vehicle, but never again.

Fuel Economy the worst!!!!
By rickyrick on 12/12/09 11:42 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My wife purchased the non hemi V8 with 0 miles back in 06. Very strong engine, quiet interior, very smooth ride. Solid distinguishable looks. exterior, however the interior pretty bland w/ too much plastics. This model is supposed to get phased out in the next couple years, we got rid of it do to the worst gas consumption this beast would take. even on all hwy cruising trips this rig got 14 miles to the gallon @ best(calculated an average of 10 miles a gallon one time as well, pretty pathetic) and w/such a small 18 gal gas tank, that didn't help matters any more as we were filling up @ the gas stations 2-3 times a week! Traded it in for a brand new Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 just recently!

Don't hate it OR love it
By eeprof on 12/05/09 18:22 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is not what I think they were selling, an upscale SUV with 3rd row seating. First, the 3rd row seating is pretty much useless. If you have the seats up, there is zero storage behind the 3rd row and only slightly more space for your legs in the seat. I think I had my seats up about 3 times in 3 years for emergency kid transport. Not good for the long haul. Second, this thing is a truck; it rides like one, handles like one and goes like one. I have driven Tahoes and Explorers that are soooo much more comfortable to ride in and handle so much better. My CDR always felt top heavy. All that said, it has been a dependable vehicle with 4WD that worked well in the snow. It looks nice.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.