2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific I30 model:
Can you afford it?
By bonedatt on 12/10/11 11:07 AM (PST)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a second vehicle for job and everyday commute and settled for the 2001 Infiniti I30. Coming from a German made 2009 VW Passat and now a 2012 VW CC 'Lux Plus', the expectations were already high. The 2001 I30 lived and still lives up to this expectation. The interior and exterior are beautiful. There are technologies on this vehicle that I think even the Germans can still borrow from to add to some of their "future" vehicles :-). Don't get me wrong, German engineering is still up there but this car holds it's own. The question potential buyers of this vehicle may want to ask themselves is "can you afford this"?. I don't mean the buying price, but the cost of maintenance.

2001 I-30 Outstanding Reliability and Value
By lynnj on 10/11/11 12:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new 2001. After some O2 and Mass Airflow sensor failures during 60K warranty period, no repairs until 148,000 miles (starter) and 160K m (radiator). Now at 178Km and car drives like it has 50K on it. I could not be happier with it. My 21 yr old son wants me to replace it (with G37) and retire the I30 to him! This car has been a 10+ on a 10 point scale.

Thinking twice about Infiniti
By speedfanatic20 on 08/04/11 07:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car after my SC400 was totaled. Had about 100K on it or so. Performance is decent but coming from a RWD V8 to a FWD V6 was a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong I love my I30, but its conditional love. This car has been an absolute nightmare. The VSS was replaced twice, MAF sensor is prone to replacement, ECM burned up due to sudden fault in the Idle Control. Suspension is very soft even for a sedan. Besides this long list of expensive i mean very expensive repairs, I enjoy driving this car. It has a very responsive throttle and gets attention where ever it goes.

Street tank Highway Cruiser
By serezhkin on 01/24/11 10:39 AM (PST)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car used with 115k. Driving impressions: the car is like a tank in the city: huge turn radius, horrible mpg (14/city), poor rear visibility makes it hard to park. Performance is ok for 230hp. I come from 97 528i, and some minor features are missing, and interior quality is not as great. HID lights are all fogged out by now and barely illuminate the road. However, over 2 years I only had the following issues: replaced ECU and defective idle control valve ($500), power steering hose ($300). Oxygen sensor fault popped up once in a while - replaced spark plugs and now it's gone (at least for now). That's all! Now the pros - read them in the favorite features below.

Mechanical Nightmare
By Matt on 08/31/10 13:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car in '05 from Team Nissan in Oxnard, CA. They failed to inform me car had been in an accident. (Hood didn't have VIN, etc) Put 80k on it in four years, but didn't have it running for 18 months of that. Replaced wheel bearings, two new alternators, VSS sensor, starter, ignition, radiator... Fine when you punch it, but very heavy otherwise. '05 Altima V6 tromps this car with offline and during-driving quickness(but with only 23 more hp). I like the exterior and interior, but leather seats cracking, clock wand rattles, wind noise from back window, paint fading horribly. Wanted an Infiniti from day one, only enjoyed it for a year then it became a $ black hole. F You, Team Infiniti!

Great Used Vehicle
By maria norris on 08/28/10 20:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle two model-years old with 28,000 miles, currently has 105,000 miles. It has been a stellar performer! Very comfortable and refined interior and classic exterior body styling. This car has clearly spoiled me. It is going to be difficult to replace this level of refinement and trouble-free driving, and do it with a reasonable price tag. Mileage has been better than expected for this size vehicle, combined driving consistently averaging 25. Only complaint is the underbody design puts stress on the exhaust system; I have had to replace it three times. Other than that, just routine maintenance.

Just Fix It
By KeyLargoKen on 01/21/10 08:10 AM (PST)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

A great car I bought used with 65000 on it. Have just replaced struts, plugs, belts, O2 sensors (rear), front stbilizer links. Average 27 - 28 MPG on premium @ steady 68 MPH. Paid 13K, just put $1600 in for above repairs. Excellent road car. Fussy about tire pressures on Potenzas G009. Too much results in hard ride. Bose great, A/C fantastic, not much wind/road noise. This is not a cheap car to maintain at the dealer, however I highly recommend using only the dealership for service. OEM replacement parts for this car are the only way to go. It should be put on the computer every time it goes for service. Car should go 200K miles relatively trouble free

Lemon
By Jean McDonald on 12/25/09 12:15 PM (PST)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new. It drives good handling is excellent, fuel economy good, this vehicle was great until it got to 65,000 miles then it started to come unglued, it now has 85,000 miles on it now, sensors are going out one after the other, struts gone, front axles out now, brake calipers replaced, catalytic converters replaced to many items to list have been replaced, am trading it in for a Ford as soon as I get it out of the shop.

Don't Want to Lose It
By Mike on 07/16/09 18:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car started out as my mom's, she drove it for six years and then passed it down to me when my car bit the dust. It just feels like an all around great ride, smooth, classy, and reliable. Very few trips to the shop each year, usually one thing at a time, the kind of problems that come with an aging auto. At best I've been able to squeeze 29 or 30 mpg on long highway drives, of which I've been doing a lot of. My favorite part about reading other I-30 reviews is how long everyone intends to keep theirs until 300,000 miles. I'm passing mine down to my younger brother, in favor of a newer car. No doubt it'll keep running.

Top notch highway cruiser
By bahnstormer on 06/22/09 05:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Recently pulled the I30 out from an almost 3-year garaged hiatus and it still looks fresh after all these years though the paint has seen better days. Cruises effortlessly on European highways with cruise control set at nearly 100mph. Excellent midrange power at the expense of fuel economy. Suspension is tuned for comfort; car gets unsettled during small-radius backroads turns. After 60,000 miles only problem has been with O2 sensor, otherwise trouble- free. I can foresee keeping this car for at least another 5 years. The Bose radio alone merits this, though the rear parcel shelf mounted subwoofer can become boomy. Otherwise, great value, great car.