2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Nice Car, but Bad in

2013 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Review

Limited Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

Nice Car, but Bad in the Snow
By mccarthr on

2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car, but Hyundai seems to have chosen wheels and tires that were not designed for winter driving. I bought the car in Green Bay late in May 2013. I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. When I first started driving in the snow, I couldn't believe how poor the tire traction was. I was so bad that I didn't feel safe. After buying new all season tires (rated good on snow & ice) for the fronts, I could tell a big difference. The back original tires still would slide out on turns so I bought the rears too. Also, the wheels are beautiful, but they suck up snow like a magnet on the inside. It quickly will throw off the wheel balance. I constantly having to clean out the snow.

Favorite Features

Performance is excellent....lots of power. I never used paddle shifters before, but they are very handy for down shifting. I like that you can use the regular shifter too for that. I wish the seats were more comfortable (more cushioning), however the adjustable driver seat is nice. I'm surprised the front passenger seat wasn't powered......what's with that? Handling is pretty good, but you do feel that torque when it kicks in. Fun to drive and I really like the panoramic roof.

Suggested Improvements

Find a cool designed wheel that doesn't suck up that snow. More room around the wheels too, snow packs up in there real quick. Put all season tires that are rated good on snow & ice. Put more cushioning on the front seats and power adjust the front passenger seat. My only quality control issue was with the head unit. The clock changes time zones when it's not suppose to. The GPS setting for the clock doesn't correct it. I've got to get that in and replaced. Reseting the head unit didn't help.