2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
I will never buy Hyundai again!!!
By katm05 on 09/25/14 11:24 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I'm so disappointed in my purchase of my 2013 Elantra. I had Volkswagans before and I loved them but was tired of dropping money after they hit about 100k and thought let me buy a "reliable" and "responsible" car. The only 2 pros I have are the outside appearance I still like and the gas mileage. The cons. I have 22k miles on this car and it hasn't been running too good. I get my oil changes and don't drive a long commute at all. It been running bad lately so thinking its such a new car and their "amazing" warranty everything should be covered. They are telling me I need to replace the PCV valve already and that is why my car got stuck at 40 mph on the freeway. and its not covered.

Follow Up Review: I wouldn't do it again!
By brooklynjoel on 09/18/14 14:28 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Sadly, my experience with my car since my last review has soured me on it. I originally purchased it in June of 2012. In the last year, I have experienced multiple issues which make me question the long-term reliability, quality and engineering of this car. My issue with intermittent rough idle continues unabated, whether using or not using the a/c. It is clearly not an engine load issue. As well, now the transmission has developed an absolutely maddening metallic clicking sound intermittently when accelerating from a stop, or a roll, and sometimes when letting off the throttle. There is also a tick in the engine when it hasn't fully warmed up. This car is a "good looker" with a black heart.

Don't buy a Hyundai
By jodyy on 09/11/14 12:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Hyundai is making defective vehicles that destroy tires. They will not acknowledge the defect. A few customers have been lucky and had their rear axles replaced at no cost, but most customers will just be told nothing is wrong and it must be the way they are driving or some other nonsense. I have 40k miles and have gone through 3 sets of tires on the rear. The set I have on now cupped badly within 5k miles and makes the car vibrate and very noisy. Both the dealership and the company will not acknowledge or fix the problem. Do your research before you buy this car. You will see there are many people having problems with rear tire wear/ handling/ noise/ rear axle problems.

Hyndai Rewards Card for Mileage issues
By adveragedriver on 09/06/14 15:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is less a review of this model than of Hyundia in general. In this case, I'm talking about the program to repay customers for when they overstated their EPA estimated mileage. 1st, they "average" the mileage between city and highway. Not so bad, except that they "round" the result to favor themselves. By high school math, whenever you get ".5", it gets averaged upwards. They average it downwards. Thus, for my 2013 Elantra, they were off by "1.5" mpg, so the averaged it to 1 mpg instead of 2. Then they make it very annoying to collect. For example, they don't send you a check, they use a "debit" card which you can't use without looking up your VIN #. Who carries that around?

Beware of water
By ggullett on 08/01/14 09:09 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the Elantra limited in 2012 after having done a bit of research on the vehicle for mpg, value, and etc. And after driving nearly 78k miles I can say that there are better vehicles for the money. I am on my second set of tires and both sets have horrible road noise that is amplified when stopping on wet pavement. I have had the car looked at by the dealer and they can't find anything. Also the steering wheel would pull to the left since the day I drove the car off the lot to which again the dealer said nothing wrong.

Great styling and warranty, loaded with features, good handling, fuel economy and reliability
By trmichaels on 07/20/14 10:57 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The car is elegant and stylish, inside and out. The tan interior is classy. The Civic was my second choice, but a little too boring (the Corolla even more so). The Elantra has the combination of handling, styling, and fuel economy that were my three main requirements. It's fun to drive. It is nice to look at. The features are many, especially on this trim with the NAV package. The navigation system/stereo/touchscreen is simple to use (you hardly need the manual) and is loaded with convenient features. The integration of XM radio, Internet music sources, external media and phone functions is seamless and convenient. The warranty rocks. The dealership treated me right. Excellent documentation.

Was a great car (at first)
By donjo13 on 07/12/14 20:11 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car brand new in Oct 2012. I thought it was striking and loved the colors scheme in and out. I was amazed with fuel economy from the git go. I had a 2011 Mazda 2 which got around 32 mpg and was a much smaller car. It got totalled from a sandwich between a Cavalier and an Explorer on I-95 near Richmond VA. I used the car as a courier which was driven 250 miles per day. 40+ mpg was typical on my run cruising at 65 mph. I always got over 400 miles out of a full tank. The Bad: Engine knock after about 50k. Car sounded like it had no oil in it. Interior wear was horrible. Paint came off steering wheel center, seats scotchguarded still stained from hardly anything. Radio issues.

Great car for the money.
By kris66 on 06/18/14 22:17 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2013 model in August of 2012. If I drive normal speeds and on the interstate I will get around 39-45 mpg's. Around the city, 32-36. I have been to Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head the last two years and average around 42 mpg's on the trip. People need to understand mpg's matter when it comes to speed, weather, terrain and up keep of the car. I have a lead foot and I am happy with the mpg. People complaining about the rain and snow are dumb and probably just dont know how to drive. The electronic stability is great in this car. Handles above average in the snow.

After 21K Miles Update
By jhunkins on 06/02/14 08:13 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Been 18 months since I bought this car for commuting. Have seen a large number of negative reviews about this car so I thought that an effort to balance the scale was in order. Is it the greatest ever?...No, but it is rock solid and does what it is supposed to do. My observations at the 20K mile point: - Gas mileage = never been below 32mpg regardless of driving habit, season, hills, etc. On freeway, it easily surpasses 40mpg. - Electronics = Stock sound system better than average and much better than the crappy JBL system in my wife's Highlander limited. - Road noise/bumps = Yes, it is noisy and you feel every bump but it is an economy car. Have not seen the issues presented here.

Badly worn rear tires, fishtailing and slipping since day 1
By ellegirl on 05/08/14 07:27 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

How do I get the dealership to acknowledge this issue? Both rear tires are extremely worn and cupping causing a deafening roar on the inside of the car. The rear slips and fishtails over bumps in the road (regardless of whether we are going 35 or 60 mph). I thought it was something we needed to get used to, but after much research we realize there is a serious issue. Finally took the car in yesterday to Rick Case Hyundai and the service tech told me it was normal because the rear axle is a solid fixed axle so it cannot be out of line and that the fishtailing/slipping is just because the car is lightweight. Rear tires are visibly pigeon towed and roll slightly inward.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Hyundai Elantra in VA is:

$149 per month*