1992 Hyundai Elantra 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Not a half bad car

1992 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Not a half bad car considering the price
By Trogdor on

1992 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Sedan

I purchased this Hyundai as my first car . Since then I've been using it for delivering pizza. After adding over 40000km to it I have a few things to say. The following has gone wrong: Muffler fell off, $90. Shifter cable snappe...on the freeway, $114. CV boots tore off $40 (diy). Synchronizers shot, $1800 to rebuild ... yeah right. $150 for a wreck and a weekend later ta da :) It's actually a decent little beater. Good on gas, has had only the problems you'd expect for an econo import with 200k+ on it, no body rust, not interior wear, and runs smooth as the day I got it.

Favorite Features

Engine isn't half bad actually, for a little 4 banger. Still, once you hit 4th it's gutless, and passing on the highway can be tricky. And the handling is awesome, very controlled cornering, but you feel every pebble.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise. It's pretty loud in there, and at highway speed the engine revs pretty high (close ratio no overdrive) so it can be an ear ache. Alright for commuting on the freeway to work and back, but I wouldn't suggest a road trip.