2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Bad Tranny
By scott1865 on 03/05/13 10:36 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tranny has been slipping for 18 months. Dealer wants $4K- $5k. Independent tranny shop and one Honda salesperson say welocome to the world of Odyssey. Other than tranny and fw few minor electrical issues, I like the van. Front end too low. Minnesota snow breaks the plastic.

Still Reliable
By Sephronia on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 157,000 miles and the car is still very reliable. Only a couple of very minor repairs over its lifetime. Transmission still going strong (except for a pressure switch < $150 that needed to be replaced). Burns no oil. Great acceleration. Better gas mileage than most. Sliding doors are a poor design and stick often.

2 Transmissions by 100k? Really Honda??
By Marc on 08/25/10 08:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle used with 26k miles. Here have been the problems since: Transmission replaced at 48k by dealer Passenger side window regulator replaced Sliding doors constantly malfunctioning Front driver's seat jammed Annoying rattling coming from unknown source (dealer couldn't locate either) Front and rear lighter outlets dislodged (not from abuse, from poor design) Transmission being replaced FOR 2nd TIME at 105k In case you didn't catch it the transmission is being replaced for the second time!!

Avoid this vehicle
By Kanigetts on 08/21/10 13:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This van has been a terrible disappointment for us. There are so many small problems and a number of really big ones. The transmission is simply junk and Honda cannot fix it. Their rebuilt transmissions are no better. Parts are extremely expensive, more than my BMW. I had a 1992 Prelude which was great but apparently Honda has gone the way of Ford in terms of reliability. Time to try one of the Korean makers.

My experience with my honda oddyssey
By etan on 04/16/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Drive's like what you think you get but have some problem in electrical.

The worst car and service ever
By Annie on 01/05/10 19:35 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Odyssey, but it started having transmission problems within 12k miles. I went to have the transmission replaced in Boise after moving (The dealer in Los Angeles told me it was under warranty)and Boise refused. Later Honda corporate refused the repair. So much for a "warranty". I will never buy from Honda again. Given the initial price and subsequent repairs/tires, I would say a 2002 Odyssey isn't worth the price to have it junked. Given the perpetual check engine light and TCS light, I have a mind to abandon it at Honda Corp.

Not what I Expected
By Anita Louise on 08/07/08 12:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 2002 Odyssey.Packed well for hurricane evacuations; great space for 5 dogs,2 cats, 2 birds with supplies; however, very disappointed. Early on, at 3000 miles the engine block cracked and was replaced ; twice the driver rear window power motors stopped working and almost as soon as the extended warranty was out, the other window motor quit working. Seat belt replaced; transmission went out at 70,000; lots of road noise, driver door lock broke and was replaced with a lock not compatible to key for other door locks;rubber bumpers for sliding doors have completely MELTED off the hinge. Am looking at other options for a vehicle. Mileage steady 20/23; city/hwy.

2002 Odyssey purchased new
By Dave Wilkerson on 05/15/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this van new and now have 134,000 miles on it with no major problems. The body is in excellent condition with no rust and all features work well. We have been totally satisfied with this vehicle and will purchase another one.

Great Family Vehicle Until.....
By Lee on 03/13/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this 02 Odyssey during mid 2002. Roomy, great V6 engine, everything was perfect. Great family vehicle for a few years until the transmission went out on us. It took us a couple of months argueing to get our transmission replaced as the dealer refused too since our warranty was "expired". Finally our transmission was replaced since the recall has been issued. Also wind noise was another problem. When cruising in highway speeds. Gas mileage was average. Overall this van is not that bad until the transmission problem kicked in.

trade in for a new odyssy
By c.m. poague on 05/11/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very comfortable, good handling, sits up high and easy to see out while driving. The back seat is comfortable to sit on. The cargo space and fold down third seats are very handy.

1 2 3 4 5 next »