Used 2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2012 Honda Civic
By JoJo91

2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Great, solid vehicle. I had this car for closing in on two years and it never gave me an issue. I purchased it with 7700 miles and put nearly 33,000 miles on with not a single major problem. The biggest issue I had was having to change a fuse. Great car, took me and my sibling from New Mexico to Nevada with not a single hesitation. Drove it 70 MPH is pouring rain and there wasn't a single near accident scare. I loved the heck out of this car and I miss it every day. Never gave me a problem, gave me great gas mileage, and still got many compliments over our year and eight months together. This car was my baby and I think I will always miss it. He got totaled in an accident and I was (and still am) devastated. Airbags deployed perfectly- no question. Great car. I would highly recommend.

Somethings you won't know until you own one.
By genegenre

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I am writing a review here because I have a 2012 and, aside from a few tech mods and bits of shiny trim, they haven't changed much since '12. I use my Civic NG for auto parts delivery. It has 190,000+ miles on it. So far the only two things to go wrong are the wheel bearings beginning at 60k. I had kept my tire psi at 44! Since having them changed at 103k, I haven't begun to feel any wear as I have deflated the tires back to about 34psi. I tried to change the front fuel filter and damaged the housing. Cost was around $600. The + side is that you really only need to change the filters about every 50k miles. Dealer charges $80 for labor for the front (I do rear). My mechanic charges $15 labor.

I can get over 50mpg on long freeway trips. I once got 63mpg on a several hundred mile round trip though Ohio. Dash readout was 61mpge but trip miles divided by gallons charged at the pump were 63ish. As amazing fwy mileage as it gets, you will only get around 35mpg in mixed 50/50 city hwy on normal length trips. I get 20mpg in slow rush hour downtown Pittsburgh traffic. I love the usb display on the dash that you can toggle through the steering wheel. The car is comfy and reasonably quiet. Oil change intervals are extended because of the cng. I do mine every 25k miles (though that's every 3-4 months!) $2/gge has stayed steady in western PA though some newer stations charge up to $2.36.

You only have functionally about 7-7.5 gallon equiv. of fuel at 3500-3700psi. I have done a ton of research talking to tank installers and the only options to mod are an extra 3gge tank that eats up the rest of the trunk total cost of install around $3000 or you could remove the tank and put a longer one at the rear of the trunk behind the wheel wells and get about 12-13gge but that would be $4k. Also I am rather cross with Honda for killing me on the filter housing. It should not have cost more than about $50 not over $600 out the door. Dealers tend not to know what to do with these cars. The place I bought from said they didn't do filter changes! I will be looking elsewhere next time!!

This might anger the 8th gen fans
By co_luv

2012 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Sorry guys but in terms of factory performance and day to day driving. This takes the cake. Yes it's a tight race on the streets (From a dig, though honda kids don't know anything but roll starts), but in the SCCA events I have used the 9th gen in, it blows my times from the 8th Gen I traded to get it. It is still more oriented to day to day driving so I get the pain. It doesn't feel Raw like the 8th Gen. Then again I said that when I traded my GSR for the 8th gen. This car is solid, has proven me well both on the track and on the streets.

Comfort. It's not too loud, the stereo is nice especially with the tiny little sub from the factory. My days of 2 12's is over. That is too much weight for so much attention. I enjoy hearing my highs and mids too much now days. I really like the dash layout. It is love or hate with the dash and I sway to love it. The seats are by no means good for the cross country trip but they do well for about 98% of every day society. I don't mind the harder seats thanks to the soft-ish suspension. Again I just like living with it. Some people with hate it.

I say since mine is a 12 they did good with interior accent changes in 13. I would like to see stiffer suspension. That is just me. If I wanted too soft I wouldn't have bought the SI. I just don't think they are firm enough for my taste. That is only a minor gripe though. I would like to see more power. and if possible some more torque, but I know that has never been hondas' strong point. So I won't complain too much on that. I don't like the carpet in it. It's too thin, but again that is most modern cars spending cut as well. Also just for the sake of performance, plastic is great and all but go back to a cast manifold for the 10th gen. please.

Reliable, Solid Transportation.
By richssss

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I really just wanted something that got great gas mileage and was a car that will last me for years. I HATE car shopping! My reason for selecting a Honda was my last car was a CR-V that had 324,000 when I traded it in.

My favorite feature is at the gas pump! Lots of city driving, especially in cold weather, 28 MPG. Highway driving in warmer weather, 41MPG.

The one thing that annoys me is I'm 5'8", and cannot see the front end of the car from the driver's seat. I have the seat raised, but cannot even see the hood, so parking in a tight spot is a leap of faith. And being a small car, the ride leaves something to be desired.

Why do people buy GM when they can get civic for the same price?
By bergolive

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I wonder why people buy GMs, fords and chryslers when they can get a Civic. As far as reliability goes, I think there is enough data out there to prove that Civics are way better than most American cars. Same thing for resale value. I read somewhere that there is more American content in a Civic than in a Cruze. I don't know of this is true, but I know Civics are built in America! Anyhow, I had an Aries K when I was student and this was a constant problem (when it would start). When the engine blew up, I bought a Civic and have always been satisfied since. I drove all four of them up to about 160 000 Mi without any major trouble and managed to get a good trade-in value every single time.

Just a good reliable car. No more fun to drive than any comparable car, just extremely reliable.