Used 2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

This might anger the 8th gen fans
By co_luv

2012 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Sorry guys but in terms of factory performance and day to day driving. This takes the cake. Yes it's a tight race on the streets (From a dig, though honda kids don't know anything but roll starts), but in the SCCA events I have used the 9th gen in, it blows my times from the 8th Gen I traded to get it. It is still more oriented to day to day driving so I get the pain. It doesn't feel Raw like the 8th Gen. Then again I said that when I traded my GSR for the 8th gen. This car is solid, has proven me well both on the track and on the streets.

Favorite Features

Comfort. It's not too loud, the stereo is nice especially with the tiny little sub from the factory. My days of 2 12's is over. That is too much weight for so much attention. I enjoy hearing my highs and mids too much now days. I really like the dash layout. It is love or hate with the dash and I sway to love it. The seats are by no means good for the cross country trip but they do well for about 98% of every day society. I don't mind the harder seats thanks to the soft-ish suspension. Again I just like living with it. Some people with hate it.

Suggested Improvements

I say since mine is a 12 they did good with interior accent changes in 13. I would like to see stiffer suspension. That is just me. If I wanted too soft I wouldn't have bought the SI. I just don't think they are firm enough for my taste. That is only a minor gripe though. I would like to see more power. and if possible some more torque, but I know that has never been hondas' strong point. So I won't complain too much on that. I don't like the carpet in it. It's too thin, but again that is most modern cars spending cut as well. Also just for the sake of performance, plastic is great and all but go back to a cast manifold for the 10th gen. please.

Reliable, Solid Transportation.
By richssss

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I really just wanted something that got great gas mileage and was a car that will last me for years. I HATE car shopping! My reason for selecting a Honda was my last car was a CR-V that had 324,000 when I traded it in.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is at the gas pump! Lots of city driving, especially in cold weather, 28 MPG. Highway driving in warmer weather, 41MPG.

Suggested Improvements

The one thing that annoys me is I'm 5'8", and cannot see the front end of the car from the driver's seat. I have the seat raised, but cannot even see the hood, so parking in a tight spot is a leap of faith. And being a small car, the ride leaves something to be desired.

Why do people buy GM when they can get civic for the same price?
By bergolive

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I wonder why people buy GMs, fords and chryslers when they can get a Civic. As far as reliability goes, I think there is enough data out there to prove that Civics are way better than most American cars. Same thing for resale value. I read somewhere that there is more American content in a Civic than in a Cruze. I don't know of this is true, but I know Civics are built in America! Anyhow, I had an Aries K when I was student and this was a constant problem (when it would start). When the engine blew up, I bought a Civic and have always been satisfied since. I drove all four of them up to about 160 000 Mi without any major trouble and managed to get a good trade-in value every single time.

Favorite Features

Just a good reliable car. No more fun to drive than any comparable car, just extremely reliable.

Never buy hybrid
By nashdesi

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

From start to initial speed car vibrates a lot or call it shudders Bought a used car and returned in two days Gave me headache from vibration Saving that dollar from hybrid was not worth My son who is seven could not stand the vibration Will never buy a hybrid again When it switches between electric and engine I cannot bear that vibration and noise Saving some dollar for vibration is not worth it Please test drive throughly before you buy hybrid Do lot of stop and go before you buy On high way any car runs good Good luck on buying hybrid Honest review given by desi

Should not have strayed from Honda
By tamie45

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I started out the summer with a pre-owned 2013 Ford Focus SE. I was swayed into buying the Focus because of all the great tech and the quality interior. Unfortunately, all the comforts in the world could not make up for the awful DCT. Two months into owning the Focus I decided that I needed to trade it away as soon as possible. I went with a pre-owned 2012 Civic with 22,000 miles on it. I could not be more happy with my decision!! I first felt that the interior was a downgrade to the Focus until I actually drove the car for a while and found it to actually be much better in all respects save for the hard plastics. The smooth driving experience is much better than the Focus!

Favorite Features

Eco button to save gas, easily turned off to boost power. It is a very smooth car and makes my commute actually something I want to do just to drive this car! It runs circles around the newer, more technical Focus in almost all possible ways. I love the two-tier dash with the driver feedback lights. I also love the design of the infotainment system and is very easy to use. The maintenance minder should also prove very useful. There is also far more leg room in the back seating area as opposed to the Focus. I ended up losing money because I traded the Focus so soon, but it was worth every penny!!!

Suggested Improvements

This is trivial, but I would like to have more choices when using the intermittent wipers. The look of the interior plastics also put me off at first. I can say now however that after driving one of the "best-in-class" Ford Focuses and then "downgrading" to the Civic that those are trivial points and I would recommend the Civic to anyone!