Used 2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Worst Vehicle I Have Ever Owned (out of 22 cars)!
By Bob Woliver

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I will try to start positive here: this car would get 42-45 MPG on a routine basis in city driving and I got a peak of 55 MPG on the highway. Unfortunately, that was the only positive point about this vehicle! Honda redesigned the Civic Hybrid in 2013 for good reason. Wind noise from poorly fitting doors, an interior door panel that would bow in about a half inch when the power window hit the top, deafening road noise which included the sound of fuel sloshing in the tank, stumbling and hesitation out of stops, a film that would appear on the windows about every 2 weeks requiring they be cleaned, oil accumulation in the air filter during heavy load situations (fully loaded, highway driving) and uneven, rapid tire wear. At 24K miles the transmission (a CVT) started slipping and I traded the car.

Honest review
By Bugs

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first Hybrid car, first cvt transmission also. Bought this car for gas mpg and it has really impressed me on the mpg's. We just got back from a long vacation, 2565 miles with varies roads from Hilly, interstate, and city driving, it average 45.8.

2012 Honda Civic
By JoJo91

2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Great, solid vehicle. I had this car for closing in on two years and it never gave me an issue. I purchased it with 7700 miles and put nearly 33,000 miles on with not a single major problem. The biggest issue I had was having to change a fuse. Great car, took me and my sibling from New Mexico to Nevada with not a single hesitation. Drove it 70 MPH is pouring rain and there wasn't a single near accident scare. I loved the heck out of this car and I miss it every day. Never gave me a problem, gave me great gas mileage, and still got many compliments over our year and eight months together. This car was my baby and I think I will always miss it. He got totaled in an accident and I was (and still am) devastated. Airbags deployed perfectly- no question. Great car. I would highly recommend.

Somethings you won't know until you own one.
By genegenre

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I am writing a review here because I have a 2012 and, aside from a few tech mods and bits of shiny trim, they haven't changed much since '12. I use my Civic NG for auto parts delivery. It has 190,000+ miles on it. So far the only two things to go wrong are the wheel bearings beginning at 60k. I had kept my tire psi at 44! Since having them changed at 103k, I haven't begun to feel any wear as I have deflated the tires back to about 34psi. I tried to change the front fuel filter and damaged the housing. Cost was around $600. The + side is that you really only need to change the filters about every 50k miles. Dealer charges $80 for labor for the front (I do rear). My mechanic charges $15 labor.

I can get over 50mpg on long freeway trips. I once got 63mpg on a several hundred mile round trip though Ohio. Dash readout was 61mpge but trip miles divided by gallons charged at the pump were 63ish. As amazing fwy mileage as it gets, you will only get around 35mpg in mixed 50/50 city hwy on normal length trips. I get 20mpg in slow rush hour downtown Pittsburgh traffic. I love the usb display on the dash that you can toggle through the steering wheel. The car is comfy and reasonably quiet. Oil change intervals are extended because of the cng. I do mine every 25k miles (though that's every 3-4 months!) $2/gge has stayed steady in western PA though some newer stations charge up to $2.36.

You only have functionally about 7-7.5 gallon equiv. of fuel at 3500-3700psi. I have done a ton of research talking to tank installers and the only options to mod are an extra 3gge tank that eats up the rest of the trunk total cost of install around $3000 or you could remove the tank and put a longer one at the rear of the trunk behind the wheel wells and get about 12-13gge but that would be $4k. Also I am rather cross with Honda for killing me on the filter housing. It should not have cost more than about $50 not over $600 out the door. Dealers tend not to know what to do with these cars. The place I bought from said they didn't do filter changes! I will be looking elsewhere next time!!

This might anger the 8th gen fans
By co_luv

2012 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Sorry guys but in terms of factory performance and day to day driving. This takes the cake. Yes it's a tight race on the streets (From a dig, though honda kids don't know anything but roll starts), but in the SCCA events I have used the 9th gen in, it blows my times from the 8th Gen I traded to get it. It is still more oriented to day to day driving so I get the pain. It doesn't feel Raw like the 8th Gen. Then again I said that when I traded my GSR for the 8th gen. This car is solid, has proven me well both on the track and on the streets.

Comfort. It's not too loud, the stereo is nice especially with the tiny little sub from the factory. My days of 2 12's is over. That is too much weight for so much attention. I enjoy hearing my highs and mids too much now days. I really like the dash layout. It is love or hate with the dash and I sway to love it. The seats are by no means good for the cross country trip but they do well for about 98% of every day society. I don't mind the harder seats thanks to the soft-ish suspension. Again I just like living with it. Some people with hate it.

I say since mine is a 12 they did good with interior accent changes in 13. I would like to see stiffer suspension. That is just me. If I wanted too soft I wouldn't have bought the SI. I just don't think they are firm enough for my taste. That is only a minor gripe though. I would like to see more power. and if possible some more torque, but I know that has never been hondas' strong point. So I won't complain too much on that. I don't like the carpet in it. It's too thin, but again that is most modern cars spending cut as well. Also just for the sake of performance, plastic is great and all but go back to a cast manifold for the 10th gen. please.