Used 2009 Honda Civic LX Coupe Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Worst car I have ever owned
By Zach Hill

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle, my 3rd new car and my 7th car overall, has required more preventative maintenance and more repair than all my other vehicles combined. I have had to had the transmission rebuilt every 65k miles. This vehicle is not modified (minus rims, which were only added 8k miles ago) nor ever been taken to a track or ridden hard but the transmission has utterly failed multiple times. The paint (which is covered by warranty) peeled off the car within 65k miles as well, requiring a piece-meal repair job resulting in a vehicle which is now multiple shades of blue. The interior, which is this soft-touch foam/plastic combo, cuts easily from any impact leaving scars all over the interior and the pseudo-suede used on the seats and arm rests easily gunks up in high-humidity resulting in a filthy-even-when-clean appearance. The performance leaves much to be desired, as there is ZERO clutch-feel and the throttle is unresponsive and "mushy". The steering does respond well with wider tires, but the stock tires sizes were appalling. Moderate acceleration resulted in a burn-out in first and second didnt have the power to pull you from a stop. The tires themselves, even after twice-a-year alignments, never lasted longer than 30k miles per set (typically 22k) because of Honda's drastic negative camber recommendations for rear-wheel alignment.

Worst paint and customer support
By btq4f@mst.edu

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a Honda Civic 2009. The paint started to crack and peel from two years ago. the peeling and cracking is now everywhere on the car. It was a shame everywhere I went in these two years. Since I bought the car used, I thought the car was repainted because of an accident. However, I recently searched online and found out that this is a wide-spread problem for various Honda models!!!

I called Honda customer service and was told that because my car is just out of warranty (for twenty days) the repaint job should be done on my own expense, no matter the problem was persistent for last two years.

Putting aside how much shame and discomfort this car has brought for me in these years, I was shocked how rude and irresponsible they are in dealing with their loyal customers.

My suggestion to you all my friends is: NEVER go for Honda for your new car! Compared to the value and respect other automotive manufacturers like Toyota, etc would provide, it is crazy to invest your money on a car that brings discomfort for you when the company also refuses to take responsibility for their defected products.

I got a lemon
By chuckles0505

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was extremely disappointed with this Civic.
It regularly left me abandoned, unable to start.
I don't know how many times I had to be towed, and the dealership here in Oregon blew me off.
This kept happening and happening, that the battery after just a few weeks would suddenly stop holding a charge.
After over a year of this, the dealership finally put in a new battery.
It still had problems.
Something else was wrong with the electrical system somewhere, and the dealership wasn't going to help me out.
Then a rock made its way into the brake area somehow, and caused damage. After I wanted out from such an unreliable vehicle, I sold it as a loss.
The lemon is someone else's problem.

exterior styling.

It was an "extremely medium" car in all other respects. My suggested improvement is Honda should be more careful in the manufacturing of the vehicle so owners don't wind up with an expensive lemon like mine was.

Is A/C on all the time
By Nice4

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just noticed the Civic's A/C does turn on without my command. The A/C fan turn on first in the morning when I start my car (the command button is OFF and it is not at ON state). Then after some driving, park on driveway, see water drops on driveway (just exactly like when A/C is on in hot Summertime). Then noticed from time to time, I can feel there is 'cool' air blow out and status shown is OFF state. All of all, convinced me that the A/C is some ON all the time. Is any other owner having similar experience? There are annoying rattle sound from the roof and/or dashboard in Winter. Reported to the dealer but the excuses is have to wait for the time when it reoccurs again - next Winter

Power window to lower model, great

I have completely lost my faith with Honda. They are NOT a Honda anymore these days. NA just not making any good quality products. From a x-honda and consumer POV, I definitely not recommend a Honda these day, they are solely riding on its PASS reputation, it will disappear one day.

Love it!
By Lindsey

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Civic and I absolutely love it! Hondas are simply reliable and low maintenance. Everyone comments on both the exterior and interior! I find it to drive very smoothly and haven't found it to be loud. I've been in my friend's Cobalt, talk about loud and obnoxious! I have had the car for a little over six months now and I've had no problems. I commute a pretty far distance and have also taken a long road trip. The gas mileage is great as well. I do mostly highway driving and average about 35 mpg. It's so fun to drive!

stylish look of both the exterior and interior, gas mileage

trunk open option on key