2002 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Good Honda!
By dowpwr on 04/18/14 18:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2002 EX V6. Put 230,000 miles on it. I bought it new. This has been a good car overall. Yes, it did have some transmission issues, but over 230k, it never let me down. The issue was between 1st and 2nd gear, but if you don't beat on it, it will last. Still original Tranny! It is noisy on the highway as well. Never had an electrical problem with the car, and it has never left me stranded. I took great care of the car, waxing it twice a year, changing fluids, etc. The paint started to fade out a bit after 10 years. Car was garage kept most of it's life. I'd buy another honda accord.

A GREAT car!
By moderate1 on 07/13/13 07:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2002 Accord sedan, but wish I had gone with the coupe :( and ABS. It's a great car I bought it used from the dealer in 2005 and luckily it still had some of it's warranty left had it so when the trans started slipping they fixed it and gave me a rental car all for free and had it fixed in a day. The reason I love it so much is because it's not like these new cars where you HAVE to take it to the mechanic to get it fixed because the engine is covered or it's got comp glitches. I can change my spark plugs easily and that I like. It's very loud when driving on the freeway, you can barely hear the person sitting next to you. If you take care of your car you should have no problems.

ALWAYS TRANSMISSION!!!!!!
By yiven421 on 06/11/13 19:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am getting mad about the transmission when it is 86,000 miles. The car viborated a lot when turning from N to D4 or when stopping, the dealer charged me $5400 for a new one and about $3000 for a used one. [non-permissible content removed] I hate Honda!!!!

Transmission
By kyleoostrand1 on 09/08/12 15:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Had to replace the transmission at 90,000 miles and sometimes it doesn't want to start.

Oil consumption issues & soon-to-go tranny
By honda4311 on 02/29/12 18:49 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The cherry red accord has 120,000 miles on it and as of the fall of 2011, has been consuming 1/2 quart of oil per week. It is evident the oil rings went bad as black oil deposits coat the inside of the tailpipe. It's not blowing blue smoke, just consuming oil. We are still on the original transmission, which is better than most people have faired, but the hesitation in shifting is evident. When you slow down, you must come to a complete stop and wait a second for the car to shift into 1rst gear. Oh, Honda, I lost a lot of respect for you & these engineering f*&k ups and you won't admit it. I drive a 2003 Civic LX with roughly the same mileage. It has been a gem. No issues whatsoever.

Transmission
By xyz14 on 02/07/12 18:36 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan w/ABS (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I had transmission breakdown in my 2002 Accord EX, 4-cyl just close to 70,000 miles. The dealer price was $3500. This was too much and I got it fixed outside for $1500 which is not performing very good. Now I am hearing from several mechanics that you are lucky if you did not have transmission issues with a Honda before reaching 100,000 Miles. Note that Honda transmission flush needs the most expensive oil and costs more than some luxury cars; may be to compensate for their bad design.

I love it
By trevohnco on 12/01/11 13:19 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Since April of 2002 ive had a 2002 Honda Accord ex-l and its still kicking i love the ride quality and really cant understand why other people say that the accord doesnt last past 150k. So far ive driven a little over 306,654 miles in the past nine years and i dont plan on trading it in or buying a new car until it cant be driven anymore. I can also say that ive never changed the engine ir transmission only have changed a sensor.

Wish it was better
By davis262 on 08/16/11 15:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned this car starting at 40k miles. Seemed to be like other Honda Accords I have owned in the past (89, 98). I didn't realize at first how bad the transmission was because I was excited to have the power from the v6. Transmission was jerky from the beginning. I hated it. Worst driving experience I've ever had. Never knew when it would accelerate. I love Honda but they lost me as a customer with this transmission. I was lucky and the car was totalled at 118k from hail damage. I know the transmission was going out soon. Also, the dash was squeaky. The 6 CD changer broke at around 80k. The dashboard clock was replaced. Not the quality I had grown to expect from Honda.

UNSATISFIED!!!!!!
By marceladgomez on 07/16/11 20:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My first car was a 1996 Honda Civic with manuel transmission LOVED it I only had to replace the clutch. Well needless to say it got recked so I decided to buy another Honda but this one is a 2002 Accord. I didn't start having proplems, real problems until abour 120,000 miles and im seeing that that i pretty good compared to what i've been reading. Now the trany is slipping and they want about 3,000 dollars to replace and the car is now only worth about $5,000. I think this is redic. I thought Hondas were suppose to las for ever. I mean it's a Honda. I guess not.

Bad transmissions
By rmars1 on 04/12/11 19:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Starting at 35K I serviced the transmission every 15k at the dealers recommendation. About three years ago while the car was still in warranty I complained to the dealer about the car shifting had and jerking at stops when cold, the dealer said that was normal and didn't write it on the service ticket and said it was almost due for a trans fluid service. Now the transmission is lurching at stops and stalling in intersections. Honda has offered very little in the way of assistance and jacks up to price of the replacement transmission to compensate. Essentially they make you do an abnormal amount of costly service to keep their defective transmission working while in warranty.