1996 GMC Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
best trucks I have ever owned
By j_galt1 on 07/19/13 10:38 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

i own the suburban and the extra cab long bed version of this truck and couldn't be happier. only quirk is change the fuel pump every 70k and radiator at 200k otherwise flawless and economical. I baby my trucks as a rule and get 25 m,pg out of my truck and 23-24 out of the suburban. there are plabty of smaller truck I could load in the back of mine and drive around and i would get better mileage moving them that way than just driving them. oh truck has 300k and suburban has 200 both are still strong and could drive across country with out worry

350,000 Km and still humming
By Bill Milne on 02/07/09 10:30 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Purchased this vehicle coming off lease at 160,000km. Used to pull 24 ft 6000lb Bayliner boat for years and family to cottage and run deliveries for a business. Only problem is 3 replacements of fuel pump. Suggest use full synthetic oil for winter driving for quieter startups. Fuel milage: incredable for SUV this size, 21 MPG on highway and 18 in city. Great family and business vehicle

Still going strong
By Boze64 on 05/01/07 11:56 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '96 Suburban from my brother who bought it new. Except for new transmission at 140K, a new head gasket, and typical old vehicle problems, this truck has been very good. 4WD is great in the snow.

Problems before thier time
By shade tree mech on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Transmission went out at 43,000 miles. The fluid and filter was changed at 30,000. The transmission shop said a bearing in the "reverse plantary came apart. He called it a fluke. I pulled and installed the trans myself but it cost $900.00 to rebuild - an expensive fluke. The fuel pump went out at 51,000± miles. The rear end started whinning slightly at 45,000 miles. It was incorrectely clearanced at the factory. The shim on the left side was too thin resulting in the whin and some bearing chatter marks. I reclearanced the ring gear with the original bearing and it is still running quiet at 71,000 miles. Has anybody had similar problems?

Best bet for hauling kids & tack
By big boat on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Suburban SUV K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

We needed this because mini vans don't go into the woods deer hunting. This is a man's truck, king of the road. Even when my wife drives it, she is Queen of the road. Stay out of the way or get smashed. It once hit a parked car & held not a mark...poor rear end of the other car was BAD. I recommend this to any one who has boats, jets ski's, hauls hunting gear, or just likes to cruise around. Very roomy & string. You won't even know that your're pulling that huge boat behind you.

Monster machine 400+ hp w/suspercharger
By deano b on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Suburban SUV K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent people and stuff hauler.

The burban I got on E-bay
By koko on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Been a Volvo, SAAB, Audi family for years. Kids are in their teens and want to bring buddies on camping trips and short vacations. 4 seat luxo Euro cars can't handle those kids, CD players, Bikes, snowboards, and backpacks. Never owned a GM product in my life, landed a great E-bay deal on a "truck" 2000 miles away. 1996 GMC Burban w/70K on the odometer. After running that bad boy cross country from the mid west, the Dakotas, WY, MT and onto the coast, I found out I'm the one who has been missing something...A comfy Luxo Barge at 70 mph all day, sips "regular" gas at 18.2 MPG over hill and over dale ( only 2 pax).