1994 Geo Metro Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
Why did they discontinue this car?
By willard5 on 02/16/14 22:34 PM (PST)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

I bought it used in 1998 with around 65,000 miles on it. Traded it off in 2006 with 200,000 miles. In all that time, I think I replaced an alternator and had a tune up. Period. Great car. Worth twice the price. And the darned thing got 52 mpg on the highway! I live in Denver and I took several road trips to Las Vegas in that car that cost all of about $60.00 in fuel (at the time). This car spoiled me for other cars. Every car I've had since then has been a lemon in my eyes because they need repairs occasionally, and need to be re-fueled now and then.

incredible highly underrated car
By sdor on 06/23/12 21:53 PM (PDT)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback XFi 2dr Hatchback

I absolutely love my '94 Geo Metro XFi. My grandparents bought it used around '94; I acquired it in '05. After 18 years of life, it might finally be time for me to say goodbye to this car, due to some substantial subframe damage lately. But even now, the only issue with the car is rust; the engine, the transmission, etc. are all perfectly fine. After 18 years, and a low 74,000 miles, the only major repairs were replacing the MAP sensor (around 65-70K), replacing the exhaust and muffler, and replacing front CV joints and control arms (this year and last year). This car is amazingly reliable. I've driven it in every harsh condition, as well as across the country. surprising cargo capacity too.

no good deed goes unpunished
By yuba4 on 03/14/11 11:13 AM (PDT)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

94 2-door hatchback, bought new. Used for commuting from '94-'96. Excellent commuter car (after stereo upgrade). Averaged 45 mpg. From 0-5 mph, as fast as anything! Then the flywheel momentum was conferred. I actually loved this car, but unfortunately its not for a young single man. People just don't want to understand why someone would drive this. It was a good car, but nearly impossible to sell during the boom years of the mid-90's. Later drove a '96 for another two years - same comments

"MAX" 60+ MPG No Joke!!
By Tony on 03/25/10 23:33 PM (PDT)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this Canadian built Geo, in Sept 1994. I has served my family well! in fact, we bought two other cars trying to retire "Max"(as the kids call it) and they are no longer on the road. The reliability of this car has been phenomenal! It has taken its share of lickings and keeps on ticking along. regular oil changes, timing belt replacement every 65,000 miles (just because) alternator replaced at 100k!, Valve job @155k (California mandated) and just discovered I need to replace cv joints at 168k! Can you believe it? It's true!! The best part is yet to come, 65 mpg when the vehicle was new! After moving to California, the mileage dropped to 49-50 mpg!

GM Goofs again!!!!
By joc C on 12/13/09 18:31 PM (PST)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Why did Gm stop making this car???? Best Idea of the eighties. Good reliable transportation. I called the hatchback my mini pick-up. I moved alot in that cargo space. Why couldn't they have improved on its design. It could have broken the 70MPG barrier.

Better car than any Hybrid ever made
By Franklin on 11/29/09 17:15 PM (PST)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I had this car from 1995.I rebuild wrecked cars for my own use.This is one of those cars with amileage of 20.000 at the time I bougt this car.I repaired the front end wreckage and stored the. Started using the car since the gas price went to $1.80; I think around 1998. I rebuilt the Motor and 5 speed transmission at 120000 Miles.It is 3 years since the motor is rebuilt and right now the Mileage is 176000. Use Mobil one with a K&N reusable air cleaner. I had to get the 3 rd set of tires and I have put 4 14" Mag alloy wheels from a 1990 dodge colt from Canada and 14" tires.Speedometer reads 35 m/hr when it is 37 M/hr. at 60 m/hr it shows 55/hr. One of the best;reliable car I had.Does 53mpg.

Driving to Paradise
By Scott K. on 08/12/09 06:19 AM (PDT)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love these cars. I love these cars so much that I bought one for my wife to drive and I trust it to take her anywhere she wants to go and safely return her home. My wife drives a 1991 and mine is a 1994. No matter where we go or what we are doing, these cars have been by our side. The world seems to go away when driving through the countryside in my Metro. Find one (or two) for yourself and someone you love. The Metro will love you back.

$ for $ best car ever built
By dave on 09/22/08 09:29 AM (PDT)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This was my second car as my previous and first car (a catty cimeron) couldn't handle my type of driving (it blew up). I have driven this car extremely hard, i.e., heavy acceleration, severe weather, and been involved in several minor to medium accidents. This car never broke, always started and drove reliably anywhere I wanted to go. Always got 44+mpg. I got 55 mpg on a long trip. This car did a great job accelerating and cruising on interstate at 75 to 80 mph. My only regret is how poorly I treated this car for 15 years and although mechanically it's still great, the body and other things I inflicted on the vehicle are making me think its time to move on. I'm sad.

Bulletproff
By Joe on 05/09/08 10:32 AM (PDT)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback XFi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 3-cylinder, 5-speed new in "94. In 314,000 miles I have replaced the water pump, radiator and starter. That's it. The motor is as tight as a drum. Mo leaks or burning. I"m still regularly getting around 42 MPG. It's nothing more than an upholstered tin can, but it sure keeps running.

Love it!!!!!!!
By speedy on 04/10/08 23:15 PM (PDT)

1994 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This little geo was handed down to me from my parents who bought it new in '94. this car is very reliable as long as you keep up on the maintenance. It's on it 3rd engine, 1st one the oil drain plug didn't get screwed all the way in and feel out dumping all the oil, 2nd one was a used engine and wasn't good to start with, and now the 3rd is running good and has been for over 60,000 miles. engines are very tough for their weight (you can pick up the whole thing by yourself). and if you want more power just search for swift performance as it's really a Suzuki Swift.