Owned for 11 years
By Verbal on
1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback
I bought the car with 12,000 miles on the odometer, and have been driving it for the last 11 years. The handling is tremendous; every freeway on ramp is a blast. The V6 winds out nicely, and the car still looks contemporary today. The seats are very comfortable. At 147,000 miles, it still has the original clutch, and the engine feels tight. Problem areas: the distributor quit at 50k miles; the rear brake calipers have been replaced a couple of times due to locking; the paint is fading despite regular wax jobs; the hatch has rattled since day 1; the valve cover gaskets leak; and the wind whistles around the passenger door seal.
Favorite Features
Performance, looks, value.
Suggested Improvements
What's the point? It's out of production, and Ford will probably never make something similar to the Probe again. They're too busy making pick-ups and SUV's.
By laurie432
on 09/24/14 08:17 AM (PDT)

I also have a Probe GT that I bought new and now has 220,000+ miles on it. It has been a great car but I can agree with the some of the same issues: "the rear brake calipers have been replaced a couple of times due to locking; the paint has faded horribly; and the wind whistles around the passenger door seal." And I just got historic plates for it (20+ yrs old in my state) as it is not my daily driver. But now I'm trying to decide if it is worth getting another engine in it (rebuilt/used) as it is now blowing oil like a beast. But it is so fun to drive...