Used 2000 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

It saved me!
By stefff

2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

My first beautiful 2000 Mustang V6 coupe, purchased in 2010, saved me when some tattooed meth freak hit my driver's door at 60mph as I was making a left turn on a small two lane (no passing zone). I was dazed but the car was totaled, as was f-wit's Honda. He walked away, donchaknow. The replacement, another base 2000 coupe, is even nicer, with fewer miles and the same excellent reliability. It has a bit of clutch chatter, but nothing's perfect. I enjoy every mile and am happy to have some steel wrapped around me!

Favorite Features

The V6 engine is strong and well behaved. The stock cheapo seats are comfortable. The gearbox is great with perfect ratios. It is hard to be critical of a car as good as this that sells for $3k - $6k thgese days.

Suggested Improvements

The seat belts are problematic; if given a half twist accidentally they will lock up down inside on the retainer spool and refuse to release. Been through this with both cars. The locking mechanism on the rear seatbacks can jam and refuse to release.

Love it!
By quinnk

2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

I just recently bought a 2000 White Mustang Convertible. I have the automatic version and have not regretted it since I bought it. The gas mileage isn't great...I only get about 300km on each tank, but its so worth it. This car is fun to drive, especially when you put the top down and hear that engine. Its powerful and turns heads. Mine has the leather and suede interior which is a nice feature as all leather can get too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Only complaint would be the brakes squeal a bit...its easily fixed with brake cleaner but I've heard is a common issue with this year and model. Either way I'd fully recommend this car! So fun to drive, and good looking.

Favorite Features

The power roof, leather/suede seats, powerful engine

Suggested Improvements

Not much to improve besides gas mileage (but that comes with the powerful engine) The shifter is in a funny place so I find myself reaching, and maybe the cigarette lighter could be in a better place so that an iPhone mount can fit.

I'm sure this may sound sad.
By firecatf6

2000 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

How much do I love my mustang? I put the car in heated storage and I visit it a couple times a week...and admire it. Sick??? 13years old just turned 100k never seen winter But still oiled and dripping. Works great... Gold and shows so different from red or black. Handles like a dream..with a few upgrades.. I still love the heck out of it. Even after driving a 2013 Boss

Favorite Features

Only really fits two

Suggested Improvements

Improve the driving lights

I love my GT
By bob501

2000 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 GT with 147,000 miles on it and have put another 30,000 on it since. The only mechanical failure was the throwout bearing went out on the clutch thats it. This is my 3rd mustang and my favorite one. This car just keeps getting better.

Favorite Features

Powerful V8 with a wide power band. Classic pony car style. Lots of quality after market parts available at a low price new and used. Made in America baby.

Suggested Improvements

Make sure you put synthetic oil in it for the engine rear dif and transmission and clean the filters. Change the stick out for a billet aluminum model because the factory shifter is notchy and hard to find third gear. I suggest 373 or 410 gears in the rear end. Race grade clutch. Computer tune. Cold Air intake . Long tube headers and catalytic delete.

Mustang Engine Problem
By maria1669

2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 10 months ago at 57,000 miles and have since put on 12,000 miles. I have had no problems with this car since I got it and have done all the regular preventative maintenance and oil changes on date. A rod just broke out of nowhere and now I need to replace the engine. There are only 69,000 miles on this vehicle. This is rediculous. I will not buy another Ford again. I thought of this car as an A+ hands down, and then got blindsided by this incident. Not happy about it and very disappointed.

Favorite Features

style, how it rides

Suggested Improvements

Warranties, deck needs improvement unless you custom put your own deck in