2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
buyer beware
By jessica2004 on 05/02/11 18:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

my husband and I just bought our freestar 5 months ago and have had nothing but bad luck. had it in the shop within the first 3000 miles of owning it 4 times. the steering wheel shakes all the time, the transaxle light keeps coming on, new coil pak, 2 new crank shaft sensors, 2 new high speed output sensors and only 54000 miles on it. I didnt mention that it had a new transmission in it when we bought and we didnt realize it and by the way it has 59000 on it now and just had it towed to ford dealership this morning......needs new transmission AGAIN!!!!!!!! Do not buy this vehicle it is a money pit and a major lemon for the ford company. Every freestar needs to be recalled!!!

Transmission Out at 97,000 miles
By jayman1201 on 12/13/10 10:23 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this thing in '06 with 67,000 miles on it. 1 year after purchase the AC went out. In '08 coming home from my sister's wedding in Canada, the transmission went out. Torque converter broke apart and screwed the Transmission. On 2nd one now and the 4th gear is shot in that. Worst vehicle ever. Ford should have had a recall notice on the transmission. Too common a problem not to address.

Water in trans twice
By tiger on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Title says it all new tires at 22,000 miles water in trans at 28,000 miles ign coil out at 29,500 oh water in trans again at 34,850 miles now sitting there till I get 2800 bucks and I'm on disability so 5 years I get it fixed bad on gas to hope another Katrina doesn't come

F-O-R-D
By Unsafe vehicle on 06/20/09 13:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The traning went at 78oo's some miles and caught the fiberoptic system on FIRE!! GEE ANOTHER TRANSMISSION DOWN THE DRAIN, seems to be the thing with Freestar vans. I think there should be a CIVIL ACTION LAW SUITE against Ford. I sure hope the owner of FORD never gets in a Freestar and cathes fire. Thank god we are alive, we just made it out of the van!!

Don't bother
By Jennifer on 11/03/08 20:32 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We have had several problems with our Freestar. It was in the shop for over 3 weeks for the brake, ABS and battery light being on. It had a leak on the front passenger floor, they claim the fire wall was not sealed correctly. It is still leaking, as well as some where in the back, maybe the rear door, and out of nowhere the oil is leaking. Been keeping an eye on it while we find a reliable mechanic other than the dealership where we bought it. I drove it earlier to run errands and it was fine. My husband went to take it to run to the store and there oil is all over the driveway and it is making a weird noise that it shouldn't be making. I am a dedicated Ford owner but I will have to rethink it.

Not a soccer mom
By Ontoni on 02/02/08 23:20 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I'm not a soccer mom but i have two teens and a big dog. this vehicle fits the bill. comfort, smooth ride and space. It may not be the fastest thing on the road but it will cruise up to 70 and you'll not even know how you got there.

Great Van
By Rob R. on 12/25/06 15:17 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 98' Windstar previously- Freestar has a much better interior, much smoother shifting transmission but gets worse city mileage. I have never had the van back to the dealer for any warranty repairs in more than two and a half years of driving - an excellent reliability performance!

First Van
By escofam on 11/11/06 01:44 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Went and looked at Toyota and Honda to compare the Freestar and there was no comparison. The Freestar had better safety features and a much better price. I was a little concerned about handling as the Freestar replaced a Taurus wagon but after our first trip the fear was gone. The van handles wonderfully with the optional 17" wheels. First vacation trip was with 5 adults and although the mileage was around 22 mpg the van pulled the hills effortlessly with the load. It was actually fun to drive and made the trip very comfortable. Since then it has made many more trips and I look forward to the trips.

Comfort and fun all in one
By J Weaver on 02/10/06 14:12 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great vehicle that is adaptable for all our lifestyle necessities and desires. While providing functionality it also affords comfort no mater what the age.

Great So Far
By Craig on 01/19/06 21:44 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van a month ago and have put about 3000 miles on it. Absolutely love it. Quiet ride, great highway gas mileage. Glad I bought the Ford over a Toyota or Honda. Third seat that folds into the floor is awesome, just as good as stow and go.