2000 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (74 reviews )
Very Reliable, Very Forgiving, and Very Good MPG
By fusioncell on 01/19/14 04:44 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

159k miles now. 37Mpg hwy . Replaced coil pack, brakes, and thermostat housing were the only normal maintenance items. The sporty look and functionality of the ZX3 Hatchback still makes me happy. After 10 years of owning the 1st year made Focus, our daughter ran off the road through a ditch and cut down a few small trees with this car. She was unhurt, the Focus was bent but not broken beyond repair. A motor mount, a tie rod, a tire, and some exhaust rebending put her back in good balance. Yes, and some body work on the rear quarter... but that was the only real big expense. Everything was repairable by the weekend warrior skills of good neighbors. Great car !

Great engineering!Great car
By joser93 on 07/07/13 18:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Awsome car its been in the family for 13 years never huge repairs just maintance that i have performed always did oil changes on time transmission service a/c blows ice cold at 35 degrees engine has 120 hp and it beat a 2011honda si an audi s4 , audi v6, audi 1.8 turbo. Honda hatch 1.8 vtec honda crx with a 1.8 gsr so my focus can take them. Over all car has been great no major issues with motor has passed all smogs with no problems iys still runs at 14.67 :1 afr i get 35-40 mpg high way even at 3000 rpm

Love My Ford Focus
By edcetera on 11/13/12 18:59 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

My 2000 Ford Focus is the only vehicle that I've bought brand new ... on an angry whim when another Ford I owned broke down one too many times. Turns out, it was a great move. I've had it now for 12 years and it has 335,00 miles on it. I'm shooting for 400,000! More importantly, other than routine maintainance, the car has only had mechanical problems 3 times in all those years and miles (a broken fan belt, and two failed alternators). That's it! There are some minor things that have eventually failed, such as a CD player which, for some weird reason, only allows me to change CDs the first thing in the morning. I still drive it daily for work. I still drive it daily with no fears.

We parted ways on our 10 year anniversary :(
By katemcn on 08/27/11 21:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I loved this car. I bought it slightly used in 2001 for 8K. Had it paid off in 3 years. I learned to drive standard on it. It took me to Humboldt County in California for college. Later, Sacramento. San Francisco. Nevada. Texas! Other than routine maintenance, expenses were incredibly minimal. Gas mileage was a dream. Just this year things started falling apart @130K mi. (Computer needs total re-calibration; dies at idle; other problems.) I did hope to get more mileage out of it, but I can't complain-- this car hardly cost me anything for an entire decade! It saw me through my entire 20's, and it's near the end of its life. I'll shed a tear in a couple of days when I scrap it for parts.

Very Reliable
By mazzaro67 on 04/17/11 06:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Well balanced, handling and solid feel without the road noise !!! Overall a great designed and attractive hatchback. Ford Focus ZX3 got daughter home in her 1st blizzard at nite. Drove me to work for 8 years x 70miles each day. 5 very long trips over 1000 miles. I even slept in the back for 2 nites. Now at 112k miles, everything still works fine. I did change the following once: Battery, Brakes, Tires, Thermostat housing, Belts, hoses, filters, front tie rod links, and plugs. Nothing on this car is hard to work on either.

Terrific
By Clevelander on 07/26/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

10 years and still going strong. Highly reliable. Love my car as much today as the day I bought it. Doesn't look or feel dated.

First Car - Excellent Choice!
By LovedMyFocus on 03/30/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I had this car 7 1/2 years, over 100K miles, and ran it into the ground. I think I performed major maintenance once, at 60,000 mi. I replaced the brakes twice, rotors once. It only had one problem ever, where oil was dripping on something and I could smell it through the vents. Easily fixed. I was in a collision and the car was minimally damaged with the exception of the airbags. I was really hard on the exterior: it sustained a lot of damage, but still always ran like a champ. I traded it for a Subaru AWD when I moved to NH because it slid a lot in the snow cause it was light. But if the Focus came in AWD and still in a hatchback, I would be driving one of those instead! Loved this car!

You get what you pay for
By pablo on 01/17/10 00:24 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I think is a pretty decent car for the price I paid. I have read the reviews and I agree with some of the problems listed here. The brakes system vibrates and there is a light that comes on when I turn too sharply or hit a bump. I think this is a good car for someone without kids because the two door deal is uncomfortable at times for the ones seating in the back. I have seated in the back, nonetheless, and it is spatious, just kind of a pain to get in and out. Overall it is pretty handy, good design, the 5 speed may be better than the automatic transmition. I owned a Taurus for 2 years and the transmition broke down.

Terrible Vehicle
By Terrible Vehicle on 07/12/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

This is just a bad car. I bought brand new in 2000. The first two years I spent more time getting recalls done then driving. Then at about 100k miles the car fell apaprt. New clutch, front springs broke, battery, battery cables, battery itself, ac, heater, alternator, the list goes on. I've spent over 6k in the past two years trying to keep this car on the road. Please don't buy an early mondel focus. It will just be a money pit.

Great after the first year
By HS in FL on 02/05/09 18:02 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Purchased this car new in 2000. In the first year, we suffered through a few recalls and had the fuel pump replaced a couple of times. However, it seems everything has been fixed, because there have been no problems with the car since the warranty expired. It has only been in the shop for oil changes and other regular maintenance. Its not new anymore, but I can't justify getting a newer car when the old one is still reliable and gets very good gas mileage for an 8-year old.