Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Sport Trac
By Momof2

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased with 75 mi on it, now at 160000. Bought Gold Warranty, will never purchase again, it covered nothing. Transmission came "unsealed" at 16k mi, said it was normal wear and tear. Continued transmission issues, gaskets come unsealed often and the electrical issues are huge. Windows won't roll up and down, door locks wont work, even manually (can only get in through passenger manual key lock). Constant repairs.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating area. Durable truck bed. No a/c or heater problems.

Suggested Improvements

Fix transmission and electrical issues. Use better gaskets, work on sealant issues. Tires have to be rotated almost with every oil change.

By schermen

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

During summer enjoy rolling rear window down, open sun roof, feels very open. Negative is poor gas mileage. Have over 90,000 miles on it; had to replace A/C & front end parts. When in 2WD in rain or snow it gets pretty scary without weight. 4WD has a ghost, turns on and off by itself. Nice looking truck though. Bought 100,000 mile warranty; haven't spent much on repairs because of that.

Ford should recall Sport Tracs
By last ford?

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Only complaint on the interior is the lumbar support on the driver's seat. Love the floor (no carpet), plenty of room, lot's of adjustability. The exterior is great. Fuel mileage has been as expected (15 city, 19 highway). Good power. Rides like a truck, but it is a truck. Mechanically, Ford should issue a recall for brake problems. At 70,000 miles, it's on it's 4th set of brakes and 2nd set of rotors. Our Honda just had brakes for the 1st time at over 100,000 miles. We don't drive off-road, we've had no accidents, and we don't tow anything. We don't ride brakes, and we don't slam on them. This is clearly a Ford problem.

Favorite Features

Composite truck bed, interior materials, sliding rear window.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes and rotors that last more than 50,000 miles. The Ford engineers should be ashamed for the mechanical defects, and the Ford management team should issue recalls to permanently fix the brake problems.

Good Bur a Rough ride
By Good but a rough rid

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I first saw the Sport Trac in late 1999 in a commercial and I wanted it. So I sent to the several dealerships and they only had a few- but I found a 4x4 Gold w/ black trim. Of course I paid sticker - it was brand spankin' new. I have had it since 2000 - 10years now and i have almost 72K miles on it. I just spent $700 for mew plugs, tune-up, etc. OVerall - it's been a very good little truck. Gets me where I wanted to go, never got stuck.

Favorite Features

Utility, 4x4, hauls enough for most homeowner, looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension. It rides very rough. I have replaced most of the suspension but it never really gets an better. Brakes - wish they offered 4 wheel disks when I bought mine Step are rusting

my sport trac 2001
By cwood0716

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my Sport Trac used, it had 36,000 miles when i got it. It has over a hundred thousand now. I have had it for about 6 years and I love it.I have hauled everything I needed to haul on it.I have the roll down window, I just stick lumber right through the window if it is too long for the bed.I have had very little repair over the years and it still looks and runs great. I love the body style and it is a rugged little truck.I look forward to at least 6 more years with it.My truck is an automatic, this site did not give me the option to pick auto trans.