2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Occasionally the 3rd time ISN'T a charm!
By WJM on 04/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

3rd Explorer-nothing like the first one (1991)no concerns for 60000+ miles until 3/4 ton Chevy turned into me at 60mph. It took a beating but saved me! This vehicle is not what I thought it would be. Trouble on wet roads w/traction-wind noise around front windows that you can't hear a conversation w/pass. unless you both shout(occurs at 35 or higher mph). Gas milage is terrible town 11mpg & highway about 14+mpg. All kings of engine noises under the hood. Many more concerns also. Car seems very poorly assembled. My '91 was the best followed by '96 Eddie B. and this one is a distant 3rd, very distant!!

An more functional SUV
By guein on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

No major problems yet, only minor sensor related failures; ride improved considerably with a couple of aftermarket improvements; fuel economy can be improved with a better air intake and exhaust system

I Should Have Read The Reviews Closer!
By shorthorn5 on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

A new car to me..I soon discovered the problem Black 2001 Ford SUVs/trucks can have with paint Someone else wrote about this here too. The surfaces are "crowfooting" or "crazing" like old pottery. Hood, fenders and roof! Ford customerservice said they'll cover cost.Whew! Dealership agreed to paint. Said there was anotherin the shop right then.Gonna take 7-10 days but will give loaner. Its a hassle but Ford's standing behind it without argument. Luckily, its still under warranty--one more month!

Good Lookin'
By mamudo on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We think our truck is a "looker". It is great to have a smaller truck with people space and cargo space. Few things can be improved upon, and that is the brakes go really fast and the door lock pinches if you have your arm resting on the edge when the truck is put in drive and the automatic door lock engages.

Excellent Choice
By Timmy23 on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 2001 Sport Trac is amazing. Its smooth running v6 engine is quiet and powerful. The ride is very improved from the 2000 explorers, it rides more like a luxury car than a truck. Its fuel economy, all though not great, isnt bad at all (I average about 19 city, 22 hwy)its very comfortable and stylish. I reccomend it to any and everybody.

Versatile, Underrated Hybrid
By taurusman11 on 03/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ford 4 WD Sport Trac is solid, quiet, highriding, and well-appointed. The price is similar to the Escape, but the Sport Trac is a serious vehicle while the Escape is a fun run- about. The Sport Trac offer versatility: a comfortable 5 passenger car, a short bed pick up, an SUV. The back seats fold down flat to provide great interior cargo space; and, there's 5-foot external bed (6 extended.The Sport Trac has big, thick upholstering. The "utility" in the Escape SUV is very limited, while the usefulness of the Sport Trac inspires imagination. The Sport Trac engine has a powerful deep rumble which sound as if it can "take it".

Not Bad
By Big Willie on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my sporttrac in June 2000 and like it more as the time goes by. Looks very sporty and still get accolades from acquaintances concering its style and functionality. I commute 100 miles daily and this vehicle can hang with the best of them. I'm certiantly well represented driving my Sporttrac. I did have to put on a set of brake pads and turn the rotors at 55K miles. Visibility is poor when backing. Turning radius is rather large.

POS
By jdwk on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is very useful, and is one of the few cars I don't mind riding in the back of. However, it has been terribly unreliable. It is in the shop every other month. While it has been relatively swift in the past, it currently is painfully slow and is getting less than 10 mpg! I just got it out of the shop again, and although the strange noise during acceleration is gone, it is still slow and I haven't noticed an improvement in gas milage.

Good Vehicle
By viceman on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have put 28,000 miles on this vehicle already, and it has not been in the shop for ANYTHING. I change the oil regularly with Amsoil (synthetic). It has been a lot of fun and I enjoy the flexability. The only drawback is that the bed is small. I like the fact that it has a plug in the bed of the truck and the rear window is a power window. Overall I am very happy with this vehicle.

Excellent SUV
By Hoeting on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We love our SportTrac and plan to purchase another one this year. Absolutely NO problems at any time. It's a joy to drive and very convienient with the extended bed. Highly recommend!