2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Review: No Way in Snow States

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

No Way in Snow States
By Charles on

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In cold weather I was getting down to 19-21 in city driving, 26 on highway. Never got over 24 in city, and I drove this by the textbook. Took off slowly, to stay in electric mode, people honked a lot at me on slow take off from lights. I chose fwd to save fuel, slipped all the time in the least amount of snow, got stuck twice in snow when other fwd cars drove by me. Then I read it has no traction control! The heavy battery in back throws off the weight balance advantage of fwd. Very frustrating experience! You in cold weather states need to beware! I traded to escape 4 cyl fwd, and similar mileage in cold temps and no slippage in snow, maybe ok in warm states. Not worth the extra $ for hybrid.

Great seats, good use of space, I like the recycled seat fabric.Nice size for city driving.I wanted car from US company,even with annoying things listed below,not that much worse than competition to cause me not to stay with the model for the good things,I do not know yet about long term reliability

Worst steering wheel in auto show, feels like sandpaper, mold lines sharp and little nubs always felt when turning wheel. Center stack too busy, too many buttons. That silver trim bad with the brown interiors. Tough to find one with the black interior. Rattles in dash and console.