Used 1995 Ford Contour Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

What's wrong?
By DRIVER8

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have a 1995 GL 4-cyl 5-spd manual with 116000 miles. It has been one of the best cars I've owned, so why do so many people have so many complaints? After reading all the reviews here's the secret. 1) Get the manual transmission -- the automatic is unreliable and sluggish. 2) Replace the water pump and timing belt before 100,000 miles (doing these at the same time saves a lot on labor) -- they break down shortly after 100,000 and the repair after the fact costs more than the value of the car.

Handling and reliability

cupholders break and the door to the gastank doesn't always work

should be named "Contortion"...
By Contortionist

1995 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

...since this is what you do when working on it. Engine/transaxle/accessories extremely mechanic-unfriendly to service. Automatic transaxle failure at 120k (an expensive part and labor to replace.)

body design, decent comfort

10-pound engine/transaxle in 5-pound engine compartment.

1995 Ford Contour GL
By JRBNH

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We inherited this car from a family member over 3 years ago, which we use as a daily driver. 4 cylinder GL with automatic, 92k miles. It's just one problem after another, too many to list here. I'm a firm believer in maintenance by the book, so I've taken good care of this car. Sadly, it's an exercise in futility. Lots of design flaws, inside and out that irritate on a daily basis. Subpar power and fuel economy. For a domestic car, it's actually a nice compromise between ride and handling. For any trip, we use our 1991 Acura w/ 260k miles because we know that it'll get us there and back without a reapir bill.

The wife finishes her internship in December, so we're getting rid of it soon.

Quality, reliability, design. If you must have one, I'd suggest finding a V6 model that has had the water pump replaced.

Great car
By FordContourOwner

1995 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

With the V6 and 5 speed it was more fun to drive than any other car I've owned. No major problems, other than the plastic water pump impeller wore out at 165,000 miles and the heater/air conditioner switch at 170,000. Sadly, the car's life was brought to a premature end at 175,000 miles when an oncoming motorist ventured in to my lane.

Performance and handling.

A lemon needing too many repairs
By Fed Up

1995 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

WHEN it runs, it's great. V6 with 5 speed manual is responsive and fun. The ride is nice, seats are comfy, and it holds cruise speed in the mountains. But it is simply unreliable. In the past 5 months, it has broken down 5 times. Starting at 36K miles (when we should have seen "the signs" and dumped it), countless trips to the shop include catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, mass air flow sensor, wiring harness, EGR something-or-another, etc. The part is NEVER in stock at my Ford dealership, adding to the inconvenience. I inherited this car when I married my husband. My husband is great, but the car is a lemon.

Peppy engine, fun five speed, moon roof.

Overall reliability and quality parts that aren't farmed out to some shoddy outside manufacturer. Cup holder that actually holds a cup without the passenger's seat getting in the way.