1995 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
What's wrong?
By DRIVER8 on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I have a 1995 GL 4-cyl 5-spd manual with 116000 miles. It has been one of the best cars I've owned, so why do so many people have so many complaints? After reading all the reviews here's the secret. 1) Get the manual transmission -- the automatic is unreliable and sluggish. 2) Replace the water pump and timing belt before 100,000 miles (doing these at the same time saves a lot on labor) -- they break down shortly after 100,000 and the repair after the fact costs more than the value of the car.

should be named "Contortion"...
By Contortionist on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

...since this is what you do when working on it. Engine/transaxle/accessories extremely mechanic-unfriendly to service. Automatic transaxle failure at 120k (an expensive part and labor to replace.)

1995 Ford Contour GL
By JRBNH on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

We inherited this car from a family member over 3 years ago, which we use as a daily driver. 4 cylinder GL with automatic, 92k miles. It's just one problem after another, too many to list here. I'm a firm believer in maintenance by the book, so I've taken good care of this car. Sadly, it's an exercise in futility. Lots of design flaws, inside and out that irritate on a daily basis. Subpar power and fuel economy. For a domestic car, it's actually a nice compromise between ride and handling. For any trip, we use our 1991 Acura w/ 260k miles because we know that it'll get us there and back without a reapir bill.

Great car
By FordContourOwner on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

With the V6 and 5 speed it was more fun to drive than any other car I've owned. No major problems, other than the plastic water pump impeller wore out at 165,000 miles and the heater/air conditioner switch at 170,000. Sadly, the car's life was brought to a premature end at 175,000 miles when an oncoming motorist ventured in to my lane.

A lemon needing too many repairs
By Fed Up on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

WHEN it runs, it's great. V6 with 5 speed manual is responsive and fun. The ride is nice, seats are comfy, and it holds cruise speed in the mountains. But it is simply unreliable. In the past 5 months, it has broken down 5 times. Starting at 36K miles (when we should have seen "the signs" and dumped it), countless trips to the shop include catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, mass air flow sensor, wiring harness, EGR something-or-another, etc. The part is NEVER in stock at my Ford dealership, adding to the inconvenience. I inherited this car when I married my husband. My husband is great, but the car is a lemon.

Ford Contour
By kleinjo on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Persistant engine/electrical problems, however I wasn't disappointed witht the performance capabilities of the V-6.

Car with many problems
By Carfreak189 on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I owned it from March 1995-March2000. It was terribole computer went out, seats squeked, wires broke, gas ran out. Car broke down, at the dealer every month recalls. Dont by this junk. Its a good thing Ford stopped this car.

electical nightmare
By ranger on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

If you love a permanent "check-engine" light, this is the car for you. The entire wiring harness was replaced on a recall and after six months the check- engine light came back but only when you went 62 to 64 mph. Now it is once again on forever. Other problems; brakes, ABS lights, grinding sound in right rear wheel area, motor mounts, engine self-revs at idle, plastic parts break, vibrates like crazy. Quality was Job 297.

This is a Great Car!
By William Cook on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner and have put 110,000 miles on a 1995 GL 4-cylendar 5- speed manual Contour. I have only done routine maintenance on it with the exception of a blasted electrical problem with the cooling fan that was recalled and has been repaired several times -- but at Ford's expense! There have been no other problems with the car. I think I get more miles per dollar spent with this car than any car I kmnow of. And as a bonus, its peppy and fun to drive (although I am told the version with the automatic transmission is sluggish).

nice for tha small family
By biZZy on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

i like the pep that the v6 has. and its pretty comfortable for a guy thats 6'2! luckily my children are small, in a few years i'll have to upgrade so they'll have some legroom.