Used 2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

The Design Standard City Car
By dwink9909

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I only have a few hundred miles on my Fiat 500 Pop hatchback, but my initial impression and every bit of available research and feedback tell me that Fiat has hit the mark with this Americanized version of their hit European city car. Even at 6' 5" and 240 pounds, I fit easily in the cabin and like everything about the driving and pedal positions, clutch, shifter, steering and all the features, from steering wheel controls to "sport" mode selection. My Fiat handles well, both at highway speed and close quarters city driving. It reminds me of my 1970 VW Beetle, but with modern handling technology and almost twice the horsepower. Like the Beetle, it's an incredible bargain as well.

Favorite Features

Surprising braking capability in base model stock form. Driver position and cabin comfort are better than expected, even for my large frame. Stock radio lj

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest could be more substantial, or be replaced by a console shared by driver and passenger.

Fabulous Dynamic Car!
By patrizia007

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

After research and test driving many different vehicles, I bough a Fiat 500 Sport with all of the options, including power sunroof. I was close to getting the Prius C or Mini Cooper, however, the Fiat just was superior to them in many ways. I absolutely love the style and feel of this small car. It is peppy and responsive in my city/suburban driving. Although the interior is small, I like it that way so I'm not driving a lot of car bulk on the road. The Fiat sits high up with other cars, making you level with other drivers, so it is safer. I wanted a small, quality, fuel-efficient car that stood apart from the rest of the pack on the road. The Fiat 500...classy, unique, perfect.

Favorite Features

Style, pep, response in turning, power sunroof, uniqueness, smooth handling, easy to drive and park, modern, Bose sound system, technology conveniences, spare tire stored under the car, great gas mileage, comfortable sport seats, roomy front interior. Eco drive analysis via USB.

Fun little commuter car
By f360f1

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2012 Sport as a replacement for a string of Volkswagens, most recently a GTI, mostly because I wanted something a little different and I was impressed with the design. The 500 has not disappointed so far. I get more compliments/questions about it than any car other than my Ferrari. I have had no problems with it so far, although I have only had it for about a month. It is fun to drive, recognizing that it underpowered and one really has to rev it to make it go. I am getting great mileage -- a real 33 mpg driving to work in city traffic if I drive like an old lady; 31 or so otherwise.

Favorite Features

It is an interesting, clever design that is both modern and retro. The handling is quite good with the sport model. The small size is great in city traffic and with parking -- this car fits easily where others do not. The glass sunroof (with shade) is huge and I am not tall enough to be affected by a lack of headroom that others have noted. Although there is some hard plastic, the interior overall looks like it came from a more expensive car. The gas mileage is great, as is the fact that you can use regular gas. For such an interesting car, it is a really good value.

Suggested Improvements

It is underpowered for the American market; an additional 20 hp (it has 101) would make a big difference. It should have an armrest for the passenger. My sport version did not come with SiriusXM, which I really miss, and it apparently cannot be added except through the aftermarket. Buyers should be aware that the 500 is very small, with all the plusses and minuses that that entails. It is a great little commuting car, but I would not want to drive cross country gas pedal to the floor with 18 wheelers whizzing by. I would have bought the Abarth, which I would have preferred due to the extra 60 hp, but you can't get it with an automatic, which I needed for family members to drive.

Feeling Regret
By kiehen

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Back in June of 2011 when I bought my 500, I can't even tell you how excited I was. I had been waiting for these to hit the States for several years. Loved (and still do love) the retro look. Efficient and fun to drive? Most definitely. Quality is where the 500 falls short. I understand cheap materials. Those are to be expected. The unexpected? I just scheduled my 8th service visit. It pains me to say that I have started looking at the best way to get rid of this car with the least amount of loss. With 13,000 miles on it, it acts like a car with 100,000, and that simply doesn't work. Amazing concept, questionable execution. Wish it weren't so! My dealer's attitude is no help.

Favorite Features

Fun factor, design, efficiency (I've averaged up to 47 mpg). Roomy considering the size of the car. I have 6'+ fronts who fit comfortably.

Suggested Improvements

Overall build quality. My visits to the service center have run from damage caused by one of their employees to brake issues, door issues, electrical issues, and most recently a rough running engine with some misfiring (at a measly 13,000 miles). Road noise is a bit excessive. Headrests are excessively firm.

8000 First oil filter change
By cuda213

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Red POP,red white interior and stick. 6 months in use. Very happy. Reliable, no issues, none! Confy ride. Gas,gas,gas hapiness. Only drawback, chicks keep stopping and asking me about it, hehehe.

Favorite Features

High seats!

Suggested Improvements

Passenger armrest. Hate sharing.