Used 2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Very Unhappy
By veryunhappy52

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving at a speed of 55 mph when without any warning my car shut off. Thank God I or someone else was not hurt. My fiat is a 2012 with 53000 miles on it. The only thing Ive had to do is replace both brake lights at the same time and a headlight. When the car died, I could not get my key out of the ignition nor could I get the car out of gear. It had totally locked up. Just called the dealership and the car wont even communicated with the computer to find out whats wrong. Sounds expensive to me.

Right now, I cant think of any.

from what I have read, Fiat has alot of issues with the motor that needs to be addressed.

Fun car - just hope nothing breaks
By centraca

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed my 2012 FIAT Sport. It is a fun car to drive, but there are issues. at 61,000 miles I am having to put in a new transmission, as the pressure plate has failed. I am not the only one, I am now at two weeks without my car, waiting on the parts. Everything that has needed to be done on this car takes a long time for the parts to come in. If you are considering a FIAT, turn around and RUN away from these cars.

Fun to drive, easy to park and navigate traffic.

improved transmissions and materials. After having the arm rest break, FIAT wanted $1,100 to reinforce the drivers seat. Really??? It was a $84 part, dont make the customer pay for your flawed designs.

Not good
By cacplanor

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2013 Sport purchased new now with 34K. Same problems many others are facing. Starting stumble, clunks heard and felt through steering system, suspension bumpers, eating tires once a year! Its nice to look at and fun to drive but that's about it. Run away if you appreciate what a "good" car is. Chrystler doesn't care if your car is broken, they'll tell you it's all "normal". You know, that "normal" clunk in the steering. The same clunk which would have stopped you/me from buying the car if a new one made it! Mine had that "norma"l clunk after only 6K miles. Thanks for that screw Chrysler, I won't soon forget it! Your cars suck and Uncle Sam should've let fail like you deserved.

Got worse! Clutch pressure plate springs failed at 59k. Fiat considers this a wearable item only covered by a 1 year, 12k mile warranty. All other clutch parts are un-worn. Disc looks new! Fiat demies any known issues with these pressure plates, yet many 5 speed owners are in this boat, weird!?! Garbage car from a garbage brand. Traded in at a HUGE loss after only 3 years. $14,000 in depreciation.

I would NEVER buy another Fiat. If they were the last car company on earth,, I'd ride a bike.

Baja Life
By bajatexan

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2012 Fiat 500C (automatic) new in Aug 2012. To date, I have put almost 60,000 miles on it. I would drive 90 miles each way to work from Baja to San Diego on a daily basis. The exterior has held up extremely well and I have had no mechanical issues! The interior looks inexpensive but has held up well. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat!

Fun to drive!

They could improve the quality of the interior

Disenchanted
By rooster007

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Lounge 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2012 Lounge that I bought brand new and I am the only driver. I put 1000 km a week on my Fiat. Average 80km/hour. I have just over 141,000 km on the car and have been told by the dealer that the CV shaft (right and/or left) are toast and that maybe the transmission will also need replacing. I have a front end wobble at 65km/hour that goes away after 75km/hour. Anyone else have this problem? I'm looking at almost 6k to fix!!! This is ridiculous! I put over 480k on my toyota rav4, front wheel drive, 2 door coupe. This fiat should get at least 250k before I have problems like this.