Used 2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Trading in
By winthrop53@gmail.com

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got a letter for a blow out sale so I drove my Fiat to the dealership and I was fortunately able to get a new loan for a 500L. I got a great deal on the new car but the trade in on my 2012 Fiat Pop was really low due to issues pertaining to the clutch and the engine noise. After reading some other reviews I am apparently not the only one with these issues. Someone else had to get a new clutch under 40,000 and mine has only 34,000. Also another review complained about changing spark plugs and their costs at an early mileage. I just had to replace mine. The engine noise just got so loud in the last few months - out of nowhere. Service kept telling me it is a Fiat.? Again in another review the engine noise gave them a headache. Then there is the electrical. Tire monitor light went on after 15,000, some sort of electrical problem. I had the same problem mentioned in a review. I was constantly checking my air pressure. Service couldn't help. They just would check the air pressure and say it is fine. I had to replace both headlights at 34,000, also mentioned in another review and of course replacing the hub caps two or three times a year at $55.00 a piece. Hope I have better luck with the 500L. Risky getting another Fiat but financially I was stuck due to low trade in value.

Should have known better than to buy a Fiat
By Maureen M

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2012 Fiat 500 Pop used. This was 2 years ago and it had 36,000 miles on it. (Found out it had been a former rental car...in Las Vegas). The only reason I chose this one was it was the only used automatic they had (I can drive a manual but in L.A. I choose not to). Electrical problems from the start. Warning lights always coming on (Check engine). Half the time they couldn't say what was wrong. For a couple months the car went to service every other week. Finally got that to stop then one day I turn on the car and the mileage was blinking. Again to the shop for resetting. I took my car in for an oil change a couple weeks ago and was told it had a leak (somewhere where they needed to drop out the engine). $89 for parts. Over $1k for labor. (Not had it done). This past Friday I pushed the button to lower my drivers window and heard a thunk. Window dropped an inch and has stayed there. Getting it fixed today. Thankfully (without being consulted when I bought the car) I somehow ended up with the extended warranty - Maximum Care. So the window will be just $100 (deductible). Going to find out if the oil leak is covered as well.

I wanted to trade in the car for a new 500L since they contacted me looking for 2012 Pops. Too much negative equity. Well no kidding. This thing had negative equity when I bought it. Kicking myself for not buying the brand new Toyota Prius C that I test drove at another dealership. As soon as I can this car is gone!

Can't Wait To Get Rid Of It!
By CG13

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for three years and have put 20,000 miles on it. Bought it because it was adorable, inexpensive, and great for my city-street/low-speed commute (which is now a freeway commute). Here is my take on the car:

The GOOD: Cute as heck. Verde Chiaro color still turns heads. Good little car for putting around town (grocery-getter) on city streets. Brakes are responsive. Storage space in the car is about what you expect - not a lot of room but with a little bit of tetris skills you can fit a lot. Decent gas mileage (I expected better for a car so small).

The BAD: I fear for my life on the freeway - no joke - and I am a very good driver who has never had an accident. Blind spots galore! Acceleration is extremely unreliable - sometimes you give it gas and it reluctantly goes slowly, other times the engine revs but it sits there... So if you need to make an evasive maneuver that requires accelerating, hit the gas and hope for the best. Engine noise gives me a headache. Interior shows scratches easily. My tire pressure monitor sensor stopped working at 15k (I haven't the time during the week to have it taken care of since the dealer won't do anything other than oil changes on Saturdays). My boyfriend said it's like a beer can on wheels and worries about my safety every day. Must use 91 octane or better gas for best performance. Doesn't always start on the first turn (Fiat said this is normal for this engine - ???).

I foolishly accepted a lease term longer than I wanted and am almost done but am seriously considering eating the penalties for turning it in early. Especially since it looks like it is prone to having more mechanical issues that I would be responsible for.

Still happy, just missing hubcaps.
By Anna

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my yellow FIAT. It is the perfect city car for a single person. I have probably taken 30 weekend trips of approximately 900-miles roundtrip and have never had a problem. At 65,000 miles I needed to replace the tires and battery, but I am told that is as expected for a new car. My only complaint to date has been the hubcaps... They keep falling off. I got 5 replacements (at different times) from the dealership when I was under warrantee, but since that has ended I have been driving two hubcaps short for over 15,000 miles. I hope to find some replacements soon, but since 2 of my 5 replaced FIAT hubcaps have fallen off a second time I plan to buy another brand to make it worth the money. Other than the hubcaps I am very happy with my FIAT and it has been keeping up with my long weekends very well. Besides the replacement for my tires and battery, plus regular oil and filter changes, I have not sunk any additional money into the car in almost 4 year.

Don't waste your time and money on a Fiat
By portlandmaine

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving this car and it does turn heads, but it's in the shop a lot. I was willing to tolerate that since it's still under warranty, until the clutch "wore out". I've been driving a stick for 30+ years and have never worn out a clutch, so, in spite of what Fiat customer "care" said, it was not caused by my lousy driving. Although the rest of the car is still under warranty, the clutch is a wear item and is not covered. My car suddenly was undriveable (a potential safety issue), it was stranded 200 miles from my home, it cost $1200 out of my pocket to repair and over $300 in rental car fees to get home and then get back to pick up the car. This at less then 40K miles.

This car sure is cute and fun to drive.

From what I've read on the internet, Fiat must know that this clutch is a piece of crap and they should replace it as a warranty item for 48 months or 48000 miles, just like the rest of the car. This car is going on Craig's list tomorrow and I'm buying something that is more reliable because as fun as it is to drive, getting stranded 200 miles from home is not fun at all.