2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:
That happy Italian feeling
By sruczko on 02/08/12 02:44 AM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Elantra for the FIAT and so far I'm extremely pleased with the car. It is a very coherent design, with everything I need and nothing I don't. I'm tall (6'5") with long legs and the Pop without sunroof fits me perfectly. A very tight little car with peppy performance IF you understand how/when to upshift and downshift to take advantage of the small engine. I have a base car with no options except alloy wheels and I'm amazed at all the features FIAT built into this car.

Fiat 500 Lounge
By 1259alisa on 02/06/12 12:40 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Lounge 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Fiat 500 Lounge loaded -4 months ago and love it! Everything is very easy to read/use. Lots of attention to details like digital mileage read out mpg,love the heated seats, Sirrus radio free first year, nice leather, Great turn ratio, easy to park, drive. Good recovery on wet freeway roads-experienced this! No problems, 4 years maintenance of everything, 8K oil changes. Gettting 31mpg average. Smooth ride for such a small car, quiet unless you open moonroof. Downsides:need tinting (Texas!)sun shade not solid, hard to get into backseat. Need "Sport" button for quick acceleration. 23,400K Great customer service. Very happy with purchase. Blows the competition on away!

Superior to what I exepcted
By tedsaml on 01/19/12 14:14 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

For sheer joy of driving, the 500 can't be beat. Pleasantly surprised by how quick it is. Lot of the reviewers must not know downshifting a manual, which a car like this demands. Ride is quite comfortable. Roomier than would have thought. Lots of the big truck/small package guys dumping on the Fiat but I'll take fun & 38 mpg anyday. 16 inch wheels look sharp and lots of ladies like to come to me to talk about my car. Reliability of the 500 tested in England for last 5-6 years (What Car, some other sites). It gets very good reviews and one site had it mid-pack in terms of long term reliabilty--ahead of BMW and Mercedes. Enjoying this car, and when is last time you said that?

And she'll have fun, fun, fun.....
By calicurls on 12/30/11 19:51 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car. I was looking for something small, easy on gas, budget friendly, and fun- Fiat fits the bill! I had read that the manual gets better MPG, so took the time to learn manual (automatic drive is like spellcheck, no one 27 and under has ever had to live without it). The clutch on this car is incredibly light, but once you get used to it, is a total blast. The base model comes with a lot of standard features, and the blue&me system is fantastic. The car turns on a dime, and for having such a small engine is actually really zippy. Even though its tiny, it feels spacious- my 'big man' friends have no problem getting in and out of the car. I couldn't be happier with this!

Keep the small cars coming
By wmbradley on 12/26/11 15:14 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I spent a fair amount of time in Europe in 2008-2009 and was impressed and a little jealous of the high feature small cars available over there. I loved seeing the 500 on the roads (you still see some of the old ones as well), but thought "this will never come to the states." Enter the bankruptcy of Chrysler and here it is. I waited a few months after they came out, reading many of the new owner reviews here, as well as reliability reports on the European model (some adjustments were made for our market), and decided to trade my VW. A few months later I am amazed at what a great car this is, shockingly roomy in the front, enough for a few suitcases in the hatch, and not bad on gas..

Lots Of Bang For The Buck
By b52h on 12/26/11 10:56 AM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Sport is the way to go for me. I think of it as a downsized Italian sports car. Rosso Red is awesome with those sport wheels and red brake calipers. At night the front end stands out with the bright zenon headlamps, driving lights and fog lamps all on. It says get out of my way. I love the exhaust note when in sport mode and I push down on the accelerator. Oh, due to my back problems I had to get the automatic but thats ok, because it's comfortable yet still exciting. Blue and Me has a hard time with voice commands, but the heated seats, Bose sound system with Sirius satellite, Automatic temp control, Factory security alarm is all worth the price. How about no cost maintenance. Like BMW!

Made me smile - UNTILÂ…
By freefall1 on 12/21/11 14:10 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Fiat made me smile too, until it began having issues. Basically cold start problems, but finally a stall in traffic. In so many ways, the Fiat is a super little car, but if it isn't reliable, it isn't in the running. I've sold mine and have no seller's remorse except for the monitory loss.

Cheerful fun
By 740driver on 12/08/11 14:12 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

For years I considered buying a Mini Cooper but every time I drove one the rough ride and heavy steering made me walk away. The Fiat is much more civilized, especially on bumpy city streets in places like Washington, DC. The steering is light, making the car feel lighter and more agile than the Mini. With the ivory colored steering wheel, seat trim and headliner the Fiat is a delightful place to be. For me, the cheerfulness of the Fiat sold me over the aggressiveness of the Mini.

Loving the Fiat!
By scottishere on 11/06/11 21:46 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I actually got a Pop with the automatic transmission. This car is fun to drive and definitely gets noticed on the freeways. It definitely does not feel like a cheap car. It's well-built and solid on the road. I traded in a mid-sized sedan for my Fiat, so I expected a big adjustment. The car doesn't feel tiny inside. I have lots of head room (I didn't get the sunroof) and I've been able to find a comfortable driving position. You sit high in this car. It's not a road-burner, but it scoots along pretty well. The SPORT option firms up the steering and adjusts the way the 6-speed transmission shifts gears.

No buyer's remorse!
By crushlawtx on 08/15/11 15:56 PM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 2008 Infiniti G35 for a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport in Rame with brown leather interior, and I could not be happier with my purchase. It's comfortable, fun to drive, and beautiful. I rarely go anywhere without someone asking me to look in my car in parking lots. I'm averaging over 31 mpg's with the automatic transmission on mostly city driving. I've had the car nearly two months now, and I don't have a single gripe. It's an absolutely amazing little car!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback in WA is:

$166 per month*