Used 1997 Dodge Stratus ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Dependable and Reliable and Economical
By jesse45

1997 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Purchaced a 1997 Stratus ES, 2.0, 5 speed manual off ebay for $700. Supposedly needed a fuel pump at 160k. Car had been previously well cared for and was in excellent condition. Had it shipped from Toledo, Oh to Arkansas. When it arrived, the engine was locked up due to someone pouring 2 gallons of water in the gas tank. Long story short, broke the engine free without taking it apart, replaced fuel pump, due to the water, and have put another 40k+ trouble free miles on it. I use it for my beater car, haul engines and parts, and drive long distances back and forth to work weekly. It can sit for months, fire right up, and drive 3-8 hours. Gets 34mpg or better, rides and drives great!

Favorite Features

I love the great gas mileage. I was not aware that they had a 5 speed transmission in them. It only came with the 2.0 engine. Would have been a lot of fun with the 2.4 or 2.5 v6. Will probably get another one and do a 2.4 swap. Car rides good, extremely dependable, great gas mileage with the 5 speed, very comfortable to drive long distances. Mine had the 6 disc CD changer, which is nice, and keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

It would have been nice to have have the 2.4 with the 5 speed, or the V6 5 speed manual. Mine has all the options so there is really not anything to add. I wish the 2.0 had more power, but, for the gas mileage, I can't complain. Maybe taking the 200lbs of tools out of the trunk might help LOL. Everything works as it should. It goes to show, if you take care of things, they will take care of you. You can tell, this car was garaged and not driven hard the majority of it's life. Even at 202k, engine still runs smooth, still has original clutch.

good car for the money
By jeremy

1997 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

got the car with 90,0000 but a timeing belt in at 120,0000 and but a water pump at 245,000 and the car now has 260,000 and is still running strong with the origanal moter and tranny car is fun to drive and good on gas

Favorite Features

fun to drive

Nice
By Jason

1997 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 100,000 miles on it, and its still going strong. I have had numerous compliments on my car. And 9 times out of 10, its because of how fast it is. This is the most reliable car I have ever owned, and its never been to the shop for anything besides tune ups, and oil changes, and brakes. Drives well in snow. Vehicle also looks very sporty, and drives like a sports car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, sound system, and autostick.

Suggested Improvements

Make the door hinges less squeaky. Nothing else. Keep building it!

Gas mileage champ
By CEB

1997 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 150K on it. Had to do some minor repairs to it. I have the 2.5v-6 in it. I can't believe the mileage I"m getting 31-32MPG for the power & acceleration it has. Only major repair was a $300 fuel pump. Has been real reliable. Comfortable & sporty looking. Will get another one when this one dies. Has a 190K now and still going strong!

Favorite Features

Nice styling, great mileage. comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

The engine is really crammed in there and hard to work on. Figure out a way to make it easy to work on without compromising mileage or ride. accessible-less wi

Favorite Car
By MBV

1997 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I have never ben more satisfied with any other car. Never had to take the car to the shop for any reason other then a tune up or to fix something I did to it. Has 132k miles on it and hopefully will last another 100K. Ideal car for small people though. Could use more leg/head room for driver. Very comfortable on long trips too.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats, very reliable

Suggested Improvements

Headlights could be brighter/bigger