2005 Dodge Neon SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Neon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Sort Reviews by

Neon SXT
By Scott

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car everyday. It is solid, no squeaks or rattles. I have a 5spd rated 29city/36hwy. My mileage was averaging 32-33 in mixed driving. Once the engine was broken in around 5k miles it felt quite a bit stronger.The idle speed solenoid failed at around 18k miles. No other problems to date. This is the last year of the Neon. The 2nd generation Neons (2000- 2005) are a big improvement over the 1st generation in terms of quality. I also have a 2004 SRT-4 and that has been an excellent car as well.

Favorite Features

5 speed. Power sunroof. Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Two complaints. The stock front seats stink. I am 6'1" and though I find the interior room just find, the stock SXT seats were just uncomfortable. I got a set of side airbag SRT-4 seats to replace them. Also, stock motor mounts way too soft, a set of prothane inserts fixed this problem.

Best car I've sold out of.
By rmercer

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I travel the Houston, Texas area and am very happy with this car. The dealer recommended this one and I was skeptical. He was right. It looks small but is very roomy. I get excellant gas mileage and this car is holding up very well in the city atmosphere. Stop and go or on the highway this car is awesome!

Favorite Features

Roomy. Good sound system. Great gas mileage, and durable.

Suggested Improvements

Bring this car back to the Dodge lineup!

Great car to start with
By Chad L

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Neon is a great little car if you are looking for something to get you from point A to point B and have a litte fun doing it. The handling is the best part about it mixed with the fuel economy. Road noise is an issue, and anyone that says the brakes are noisy is right. However, a quick spray with compressed air and that issue is gone. Only had to do that every 3 months or after going through high water. Otherwise I loved my Neon until I traded it in. This is a great car for teenagers!

Favorite Features

Exterior design is very nice, and handling makes it a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Cut down on the road noise. Get more interior features. Having available power locks and windows in the back would be nice.

2005 Dodge Neon SXT Sedan
By IDG

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this late in 2006 after deciding that I needed a cheap, good fuel-economy small car to go to work with and take for occasional longer drives in the Northeast corridor. I've been very satisfied with it so far. It's got strong brakes, is super-fun to drive, really stable on curves, and zips in and out of traffic like a dream. The kicker audio is just awesome and lets me keep the engine noise in check! Fuel economy is okay to good, but the tank's pretty small, about 12gallons. I'd buy this car again if Dodge made some improvements and put this out on the market again, say, in 2008.

Favorite Features

Stability control, strong brakes, and stereo system. Good AC and heat, and great fun to drive for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Need power rear windows. Better acceleration, capacity, and less engine noise. Also, not enough space to store CDs and stuff. The on/off button on the stereo is too close to the gear shift.

Dodge Neon '05 4D SXT
By rochfiriel

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Originally had a Stratus, needed to downsize. The cab room for driver and shotgun passenger side very similar. I like that. Back seats a bit smaller. Much better fuel economy for a Dodge. Sporty and neutral interior colors make for an enjoyable trip around town. I not only save on gas, I have fun driving it too.

Favorite Features

Sporty body. Factory radio. Power locks. Neutral colors inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Squeaky brakes with in the first 7k miles. Dealership didn't find anything wrong with them.

Well built for a small car
By Nice Small Car

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A nice all around car! Better looking than most small cars. Handles great, good on gas. I would buy it again.

Favorite Features

The style of exterior. Stereo. Powerful A/C and heat. A small, but peppy little car. It has a nice solid ride.

Suggested Improvements

Power back windows, sunroof.

This 2005 Dodge Neon SXT is my 4th. Neon
By Marshall

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 Dodge Neon SXT is very comfortable and fun to drive! This is my 4th Neon, and my SXT has comfortable seats for long trips. The Neon SXT is both a peppy and responsive car. The interior is very roomy with Daimler- Chrysler's "cab forward" design. The instrument panel looks rather nice with the white round indicators. I like the tachometer and the green jewel-like lit up instrument panel at night. The car has good brakes and a very good air conditioning system. The electronically controlled 4 speed automatic transmission has a good feel to it. The Neon SXT handles like a more expensive sports car. I like the looks and the feel of my 2005 Dodge Neon SXT! Neon SXT is a good buy.

Favorite Features

Neon SXT shares the good-looking white round gas, speedometer, tachometer, and temperature guages that look like lit up green jewels at night. Neon SXT's standard AM/FM stereo radio with compact disc sounds rather well!

Suggested Improvements

Bring Neon back!

Great fun little car
By andy

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Neon has had a bad reputation over the years but Dodge really hit something with the 2005. I bought it just because it had decent gas mileage, but it turned out to be better than I thought it would. I average around 30 mpg with a good variation of both city and highway driving. The sound system that came with it is awesome for it being factory installed. The outside looks great and it is a really sporty car. I love the smooth ride and comfortable interior it offers. I love the power that it has too. Nothing that will blow your socks off ,but it is a really quick car, especially for not being turbocharged.

Favorite Features

i love everything about this car

Suggested Improvements

A little bit quieter motor while stopped because the engine idles rough somtimes, but other than that the 2005 Neon is a great buy!!

'05 Dodge Neon
By Joe602

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Car has comfortable setting and I really like the front grille.The car gets great gas mileage and with the way gas prices are going, I'm glad it takes very little money to fill it up.

Favorite Features

Front grille, CD player, cruise control and back/front lighting

Suggested Improvements

I think the engine could be a little bit more quiet.

Going from Dodge truck to Dodge car
By jonesnco

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2005 Neon SE for just over a month and feel it is a good car for the money - especially with rebates. I expected about 29 to 30 mpg given the EPA ratings but only got about 26 on the first take. It seems to have gained about 1 mpg every tank until it hit about 29.5 mpg. The performance is quite acceptable given the power of the engine although the transmission can shift oddly at slow speeds. I drove a manual for years so the behavior may be normal. My only complaints are some unattractive black styrofoam under the steering wheel column in the dash. It is visible and identifiable as styrofoam. There is no option to enable the power outlet when the ignition is off.

Favorite Features

Stereo sound is quite nice. Speaker placement is interesting but effective. Good power for the engine size. Convenient cup holder(s) for the driver. The car looks good from almost any angle.

Suggested Improvements

Give an option to enable the power outlet at all times - you do it for Dakotas, after all. Cover interior parts that look cheap or disguise them better. Larger rims as an option on the SE model would be nice.