1998 Dodge Neon Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Couple things people dont know
By jimalee2000 on 04/24/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I bought my car at an auction last year. I have driven it every day and had no major problems other than: The 4 cyl has a not so known issue of the valve cover gasket leaking oil into spark plugs. This was found by a mech telling us so I have yet to replace gasket. I take the plug out clean it and it's good to go for a few months longer. Secondly is I have to put oil in it cause the oil pan gasket is bad. BUT knowing those two problems I am ok with it. It is known for bad heads and often blow. I haven't had that issue yet! But the engines are so easy to find it is good to work on.

Easy to work on, and great gas mileage
By maw96usa on 06/04/08 01:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for its gas mileage abilities and I have not been let down. I've been getting around 32-34mpg in town and 38-41mpg on the hwy. I drove it from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Bakersfield, California for less than $90.00 with gas at $3.50 a gallon. As a home mechanic I also appreciate how easy the car is to work on. At 150k miles I really went through the engine and replaced the timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, power steering pump, valve cover gasket set, thermostat, and it was all really easy to get to with out much trouble at all. I tell friends and family that if I get another car it'll be another Neon!!!

Loved my R/T
By deadmeet on 03/17/08 06:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I bought a pair of R/T's new for me and my wife hers white/blue stripes mine Brilliant blue pearlcoat with silver stripes. hers remained totally stock,mine received a cold air/K&N combo with aftermarket exhaust.we have not had cars as fun to drive or reliable in our lives. Both our cars still get about 38mpg (I bump the rev limiter on a daily basis) with each over 150k miles we are deciding on what we would want to replace them with...seems funny that todays hi-tec hybrids and flex-fuel vehicles only get low 30's mpg What was so special about our neons? (I was raised on Big block Chargers and Road Runners..a lot of fun, but a huge difference on reliability)

Great Car For Price
By Larry S. on 01/26/08 06:13 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

Have the Sport Coupe with manual tranny, bought new in 1998 for $13 grand. As of this post have 71,000 miles on it. Getting 32 mpg overall, 36 on interstate. Great performance and handling. It's a fun car to drive! Needs premium gas to get max performance but I "mix" 89 octane with premium to lower gas cost. In 10 years the only major problem was the water pump died. Cost was $600 to repair which was high but couldn't shop around for lower price at time. For the low price and great performance it can't be beat in its segment of the market. I also have a 2003 Neon (only made as 4 door)with manual, but it only gets 26 mpg avg. and ain't as quick or the looker of the coupe.

Great performance and handling
By Tracy Morgan on 09/11/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

I loved this car. I had it for years. Timing belt broke at about 210,000 miles. Spent about $1300 dollars. Drove it a month and now it is smoking lilke a freight train. I want it fixed. I love the car. I drove a newer neon and the comfort, handling and performance was nowhere near as good as my Neon.

Reliable and efficient commuter vehicle
By BrianH on 02/03/07 10:55 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Competition 2dr Coupe

Bought 5/1/2006 with 25k miles (yes, 25k). Had to get A/C compressor replaced (normal for age) and replaced a malfunctioning EGR valve. I was aware of the issues before purchase. I bought the car for $4,300 and I considered it a decent deal despite the fact that it's a Neon. I've put on 14k miles since purchase without issue. The oil is relatively clean after 3k miles (mixed hwy/city). The shifter isn't the most confidence-inspiring one around, but I've driven much worse. I averaged 28-32 mpg between May and November, but once the weather got colder my mpg dropped to 25-28 (also let my car heat up for 10 mins in mornings). Significant interior noise and rattling.

Neon R/T
By Paul on 06/04/05 11:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe

This is one of the best cars for the money. Even after 7 years, it can't be matched on a performance for the dollar and reliability basis. I drove the heck out of it for 132,000 miles without even so much as a wimper. No only did I teach two teenage daughters on the car, we autocrossed it hard for 5 years! What other car could be had for $13,000, 7.5 sec 0-60; 15.9 1/4 mile and 130mph top end and gets 37+ MPG? To top it off it's big enough to haul anything except a sheet of plywood. All I can say is wow!

Best $5K I ever spent
By ETPHONEHOME on 05/17/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car used for about $4K. I knew it had an oil leak when purchased. I had to change the head gasket and drive shaft seal, and also decided to change the water pump. Another $1K invested. The head gasket was known design defect that was fixed, and I've had no leaks since. The car now has 160K miles on it and still runs great. No problems. It's fun to drive. It has a good interior and great head room for persons under 6 ft. I'm getting 36 mpg (70- 75 mph) in warmer months with good Mobil gas...generic gas about 3 mpg less. Best $5K I have ever invested. An excellent basic commuter car.

Fun to drive
By Doug on 01/07/05 12:00 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought the car to comute to work ($4200/63K miles). I've done zero maintance in the two years I've driven it (no oil changes). It has never broke down. I wash it twice a year whether it needs it or not. It's been the cheepest car I've owned.

Not as bad as its rep
By JustynTime on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Neon Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

I needed a new car. I wanted a neon. I found a 95 neon with alittle over 100k on the ticker. I never had a problem with it.then my girlfreind wrecked it. I needed a new car, again I wanted a neon. This time I got a 98 with about 50k miles. I have had to replace the head gasket but the key to not having to replace it again is making sure you replace it with the correct gasket. Being that it is 2004 you will be buying one of these babies used and the head gasket has already been replaced. Now my girlfreind needed a new car. Guess what we got, thats right a 95 4door neon. Out of our 3 neons we have only had the one problem.