Used 1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Best vehicle I've driven in years
By kackerman

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I picked up an Intrepid ES as a temporary car while my new one is in for major repairs and fell in love. The exterior looks drab (an older sedan style) but it drives like nothing I've seen before. Handles all road conditions beautifully and has more than enough power. I'm actually considering some body work (snazzy stuff) and might keep it. Shame that Chrysler didn't stick with this engine - it's magic.

Favorite Features

Excellent torque, easy highway handling, surprisingly good mileage (for an older car) and the original stereo is just sick (better than the aftermarket one in my newer SUV). Steering is a bit stiffer than what I'm used to, took a couple hours to adjust but it does take corners and curves very well.

Suggested Improvements

It's 2013 - and this is a 1996 - so improvements are not relevant. If I could travel back in time, I would give the car a sportier look, shorter body and more room for the driver.

Terrible reliability
By jim12

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1995 and just after the warranty was up it was nothing but trouble. The A/C evaporator core (defective but Chrysler wouldn't do anything) went, water pump, steering linkage, etc... I traded it in (it had 71,000 miles) for a new 2004 Honda CRV. The CRV was the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Great Car
By dsiemens

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1996 Intrepid in fall of 1995 - it's the best car a ever owned - I've had some problems with it. I now have 565,000 kilometers on the origingal engine - I use regular 5 30 weight oil with power up as an engine additive. My brother bought a second hand 1996 Intrepid identical to mine and it had 185,000 km's it now has over 400,000 km's - super engine!!

Electrical problems
By robert

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for 5 years with no problems. Now it has 200,650 miles on it. I am having trouble with check engine light staying on and the air bag light stays on now and some how it is connected to the air conditioner and windows they don't work when light is on. Also a mechanic told me the air bag can blow at any time in this condition when driving. this could be very dangerous or cause a deadly accident

208k And Going Strong
By R. Sheppard

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 185K. have had minor problems, ie brakes, Headlights, Axle. nothing that could persuade me to get rid of the car. the intrepid is roomy and handles well. I have put 28K miles on that used engine and all I do is keep changing the oil. I would recommend the Intrepid to anyone.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

Too many Blind spots. Change the head lights.